Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Trucker Wanting to Work in the USA

UK Trucker Wanting to Work in the USA

Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

maymercurytaylordeacon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Trucker Wanting to Work in the USA

Hi. I am from the UK and looking into working in the USA driving trucks. I hold a UK Class 1 articulated licence ( I dont know the US equivelent name ) and have done for 2 years. I have never had any convictions or points on my licence and just want and advice and help on how to go about doing it.

Thnks in advance, Tom
Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:16 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Trucker Wanting to Work in the USA

I hope you're single, straight, attractive and like American women!

Read this, then come back and tell us which category you're eligible for:

How to Liven and Work in the US
Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I hope you're single, straight, attractive and like American women!

Read this, then come back and tell us which category you're eligible for:

How to Liven and Work in the US
Well im single and straight, As for being attractive.... my mum says i am!! lol.

I will have a read of the link you posted, Thanks very much. Tom
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: UK Trucker Wanting to Work in the USA

Originally Posted by maymercurytaylordeacon
Hi. I am from the UK and looking into working in the USA driving trucks. I hold a UK Class 1 articulated licence ( I dont know the US equivelent name ) and have done for 2 years. I have never had any convictions or points on my licence and just want and advice and help on how to go about doing it.

Thnks in advance, Tom
Virtually impossible, but, you might have a shot getting into Canada. There are a few Canadian companies who actively recruit Brits. I think "Yanke" is one of them.

http://www.yanke.ca

Jim.

Last edited by Scouse Express; Jul 7th 2008 at 1:11 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:31 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Thnks in advance, Tom
Tom

I'm a trucker in the USA and let me tell you that it isn't going to happen based on what you've let on.

they are only interested in drivers whom currently have an immediate right to work in the USA
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc
Tom

I'm a trucker in the USA and let me tell you that it isn't going to happen based on what you've let on.

they are only interested in drivers whom currently have an immediate right to work in the USA
Ah ok. So how do you actually go about getting the right to work there?. By the way i see in your sig your from wythenshawe?, I am living in altrincham at the moment!!.

P.S What is it like driving in the US?, I am guessing there are bad points but is there as many as in the UK?.

Cheers
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:21 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Ah ok. So how do you actually go about getting the right to work there?. By the way i see in your sig your from wythenshawe?, I am living in altrincham at the moment!!.
Find a single American women and marry her ...
Its the approved method
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL

Yeah that looks like your only option.....
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

I thought if they were short of truck drivers that would give me a good chance of getting in there?, Right im off to find a bride then lol........................
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:02 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I thought if they were short of truck drivers that would give me a good chance of getting in there?, Right im off to find a bride then lol........................
We have a million or 12 mexican who will work for less than you ...
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:50 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

P.S What is it like driving in the US?, I am guessing there are bad points but is there as many as in the UK?.

Cheers
I never drove HGV in the UK so wouldn't know.
sent you a pm.

Last edited by Manc; Jul 7th 2008 at 4:03 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:33 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to say it's pretty much impossible to get in on a 'work' visa absent having a 1) international company willing to transfer you to the US, 2) a ton of cash to open your own trucking company that will hire Americans, or 3) having an advanced university degree related to your skills (and having those skills be in need). Most of the 'work' visas (H-1) are held for technology, or medicine or law, and even then there is a very small window available for obtaining one and difficult requirements to get there.

Marriage, as flippant as it sounds, is really your best option. Or try Canada as it is kind of a 'Diet' version of the US.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:35 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Manc
I never drove HGV in the UK so wouldn't know.
sent you a pm.
Your not tryng to palm off your ex I hope
Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

I will start this the right way ...
Good luck mate

Firstly your HGV isn't worth a toss over here, I held one in the UK from 1975 to 2000 when I came here. I had to find a company who would let me use one of their trucks to take a US CDL test, I then got a job with them which was crap. You can be expected to work 20 hours a day for totally crap pay and have to falsify your logs every day (if you are caught it's a $2500 fine and a one year ban) They will promise you the earh and break every promise they make.
I stuck with this for almost 5 years then got a job with the VERY BEST company in the USA, which doesn't expect any of that crap and pay's exceptional wages. You usually have to wait for someone to die to get in there !

The only way to get a work permit is having a very close relative to sponser you or marry a US citizen........... If you do that make sure you do it out of love because the INS interviewer is very weary of just doing it for a Green card.

Driving over here is crazy ! Drivers go like a bat out of hell and most have no regard for safety or other drivers. Driving in the UK is far easier, far safer and far better paid, unless you can get on the same company as me .... which you won't
Old Jul 9th 2008, 3:25 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I will start this the right way ...
Good luck mate

Firstly your HGV isn't worth a toss over here, I held one in the UK from 1975 to 2000 when I came here. I had to find a company who would let me use one of their trucks to take a US CDL test, I then got a job with them which was crap. You can be expected to work 20 hours a day for totally crap pay and have to falsify your logs every day (if you are caught it's a $2500 fine and a one year ban) They will promise you the earh and break every promise they make.
I stuck with this for almost 5 years then got a job with the VERY BEST company in the USA, which doesn't expect any of that crap and pay's exceptional wages. You usually have to wait for someone to die to get in there !

The only way to get a work permit is having a very close relative to sponser you or marry a US citizen........... If you do that make sure you do it out of love because the INS interviewer is very weary of just doing it for a Green card.

Driving over here is crazy ! Drivers go like a bat out of hell and most have no regard for safety or other drivers. Driving in the UK is far easier, far safer and far better paid, unless you can get on the same company as me .... which you won't
you must have worked for some right wankers then.

I've always told my dispatchers, the first time you ask me to do anything illegal is the last time you hear from me.

JB hunt were pretty strict on the logs being legal.
Werner you can't cheat as it is digital.
this new local company I am with seem pretty straight too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.