UK -> Texas

Old Mar 11th 2015, 9:24 am
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK -> Texas

Hey all,

I've been looking for a forum like this with a great community

I'm Jack - 28 year old guy who's on the verge of moving to Texas for work. I've got a provisional offer from my company to move to work in Arlington, TX - and i'd like to live in Fort Worth, TX. I have a friend who's there already and he loves it.

I'm lucky that I've been to the area twice with work already, and have a fairly decent sized group of friends already (only 3 or 4, but i guess it helps!)

I'm not a stranger to moving around, i lived in Berlin for 6 months back in 2011, and last year i spent 130 nights in hotels travelling to different countries for work.

One thing i can't get over is the pricing of cars and rental on properties. It seems like i get about twice as much for my money compared to living in Cardiff right now.

I guess this will be slightly different in it being a permanent move, and my first permanent move - but really looking forward to it.

If anyone's in the Dallas / Fort Worth area towards the summer time and fancies a pint and maybe somewhere to watch the English football (If places open at 9am? ) would love to hear from anyone local in the area!
Old Mar 11th 2015, 2:01 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK -> Texas

Welcome to Texas Jack!

I'm down the road in Austin but there are members closer to you.

Have fun!
Old Mar 11th 2015, 4:03 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

I am in north Dallas (Mckinney) but have worked in an office in Arlington.
There is a 'British Expat Group DFW' on Facebook - and a Dallas Expat group on Meetup.com too (but they have a fee). The facebook group does have sport meetups i believe. let me know if i can help with any queries about Dallas.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 4:10 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm half way between FW and Dallas, there's a good British pub in North Richland Hills called From Across the Pond if you're looking for somewhere to watch sport
Old Mar 12th 2015, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

lofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to all

I'm in Fort Worth and have been for the last 7 years. If you have any specific questions let me know and I'd be happy to help.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at places to live is.......
Attached Thumbnails UK -> Texas-932d64ca681cfd83f96a003ac93ae44abad7b24d689c0e7d51573171de59e357.jpg  
Old Mar 12th 2015, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Twigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl
I'm half way between FW and Dallas, there's a good British pub in North Richland Hills called From Across the Pond if you're looking for somewhere to watch sport
We went to 'Across the pond a few weeks ago' sausage & mash was great, sorry just my tuppence worth.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 8:24 am
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

My attorney has finally pulled everything together now and visa should hopefully be processed soon!

Had some issues with the UK Business being a different legal entity to the states business, but all looks well now.

Coming across on an L1-B Visa initially good for 3 years.

Can't wait!
Old Sep 30th 2015, 12:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack8602
Hey all,

....last year i spent 130 nights in hotels travelling to different countries for work.

!
Lucky devil, you must have so many little bars of soap! And free pens!

Anyway, good luck with the move!
Old Sep 30th 2015, 3:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Some of what you save on the price of a car you will spend on car insurance, and all the money you save on the price per gallon of petrol you will spend on more petrol because you will be driving so very much further than you did in the UK.

You'll spend even more on petrol if you get yourself a nice SUV and truck. ..... Yes I did mean "and", after all you are moving to Texas.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 30th 2015 at 3:10 pm.