Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Taxes when living in the US

UK Taxes when living in the US

Old Sep 23rd 2015, 12:05 am
Just Joined

annalwilson79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Taxes when living in the US

I will be filing my UK taxes for the first time this year but am confused which forms I need to send in.

I did not earn any money via a salary for the last tax year, but I did make a (small) profit by renting out my flat in the UK.
I am also earning money here in the US

I know I need to fill in the SA100 and SA105 forms, but wasnt sure if I needed to fill in any more as I am now not considered a UK resident e.g. SA109

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 2:05 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Taxes when living in the US

You will be liable to UK tax on your UK rental income. Usually you'd pay that to HMRC and then take a credit for the tax paid on your US income. However. if your UK income is less than your personal allowances there might be no UK tax to pay.

This might help

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...7/R43-2015.pdf

Last edited by nun; Sep 23rd 2015 at 2:14 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 8:45 pm
tbm
Forum Regular

tbm is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure to read about the Non-resident Landlord Scheme (the basic idea is that your tenant or agent has to deduct tax before paying the rent to you, but you can avoid this by filling in form NRL1i). This page has a link to the form but lacks a good explanation: https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad/rent

As a UK citizen, you'll get the full personal allowance in the UK (as nun said).

Last edited by tbm; Sep 23rd 2015 at 8:48 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 10:32 pm
Banned

pisshead is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do you need to fill out a return? I never did when I left the UK. Was it because of the flat income?
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 10:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pisshead
Why do you need to fill out a return? I never did when I left the UK. Was it because of the flat income?
If you have income generated in the UK, such as rental income, it is taxable in the UK.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 10:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
You will be liable to UK tax on your UK rental income. Usually you'd pay that to HMRC and then take a credit for the tax paid to HMRC on your US income tax return.
I knew what you meant, but did a double-take on your bit about taking the tax credit.