Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK tax rebate moving to US question

UK tax rebate moving to US question

Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

skydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to behold
Default UK tax rebate moving to US question

Hi All

I have just been googling tax rebates in the UK, it mentions you can get a tax rebate if you are leaving the country for good, can you claim a tax rebate if you are going over on a 3 year L1B visa?

I have paid an absalute fortune this year and will be finishing my job next Friday

Thanks
Steve
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK tax rebate moving to US question

If you are emmigrating, you fill in form P85. See this page here:

http://www.emigrationexpert.co.uk/Ta...vingTheUK.html

Not sure about when on an L1. Are you going to get paid in the UK or US?

Not sure you would get any tax back before the end of the current tax year (April 2009). I am planning on submitting the form myself, should get a chunk back hopefully.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Oct 24th 2008 at 9:53 am.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

skydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
You fill in form P85. See this page here:

http://www.emigrationexpert.co.uk/Ta...vingTheUK.html

Not sure you would get any tax back before the end of the current tax year (April 2009). I am planning on submitting the form myself, should get a chunk back hopefully.
Thanks for that and the rapid reply, better in my pocket

Steve
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

See my edit though, not sure about when on an L1. May depend on where you are getting paid.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Does that mean the Mrs could try as well? she is coming over on L2
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
See my edit though, not sure about when on an L1. May depend on where you are getting paid.
Will be getting paid in the US in $$$$$$

Steve
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Looks like it may be a goer

Becoming a Non-Resident for UK Tax Purposes
When you leave the UK to move abroad, you'll be considered a non-resident from the day after you leave. In order to prove this, you must be able to show that you left the UK to stay abroad permanently, or that your working year and absence lasts at least an entire tax year abroad. You also can be considered non-resident if your UK visits are less than 183 days in a tax year and average less than 91 days a tax year over four consecutive years. If you're in doubt about this, a tax advisor will be able to help further.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

As monthly PAYE tax is based on an estimate of the tax due on your salary for a full 12 months, if you leave before then, you may have overpaid. You will then receive a tax rebate that can be paid directly into your account or sent to you via cheque. The amount due will differ dependent on your salary, the number of months left in the tax year and other aspects.

Doesn't UK tax law allow a taxpayer to file an income tax return at the end of the year to get back extra taxes that were withheld whenever a taxpayer is out of work for part of the year or only worked part of the year in the country? It seems that there are forms for someone leaving the country permanently but not for someone who only worked part of the year. Is that correct?

It seems that marginal tax rates (I believe 10%, 20%, and 40% in the UK) are used to calculate taxes to withhold each payday based on working the full year. If the taxpayer does not work the full year, he/she may not have an annual salary that would include the higher marginal rates.

If that is the case, it would seem not to be very fair to individuals that performed seasonal work but would be taxed at the same marginal rate as someone who worked full time and made 2 times the annual salary (but the same monthly salary) as the seasonal worker.

Just curious.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

ITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to all

I'm no tax expert, but as the tax year goes from April to March you should get all your tax back if you earned less than ~5,500 pounds when you left. If you taxed as a Higher rate tax payer but when you left you hadn't reached the 40% threshold, you can claim back the extra tax you were paying above the 20% threshold.

Hope thats clear
Old Oct 25th 2008, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

paul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to allpaul_79 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Michael
[B]Doesn't UK tax law allow a taxpayer to file an income tax return at the end of the year to get back extra taxes that were withheld whenever a taxpayer is out of work for part of the year or only worked part of the year in the country? It seems that there are forms for someone leaving the country permanently but not for someone who only worked part of the year. Is that correct?
If you're leaving the country permanently you file form P85 to let HM R&C know, they will then refund any overpaid tax. Definitely worth doing.

If you believe you've overpaid tax and are not emigrating you do not need to file a return. I worked for a year before college and so worked from April to September 1999. I was taxed as if I was going to earn that same wage at the same level April - March and so overpaid my income tax. All I did was send in my P45 from my employer with a cover letter explaining my dates of work and received a nice cheque in the post about 4 weeks later. As a student it was well received!!
Old Oct 25th 2008, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

My advice - send it once, then again after 4 weeks, then call them and ask if they have it. My experience:

Sent start of July
Phoned end of July, no trace of it
Send again (with statement of earnings from UK company)
Wait another month.
Call again, they haven't got it
Call again in desperation, eventually get to someone, fax it to them direct and they said they have processed. Just waiting for a refund!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by emailrob
My advice - send it once, then again after 4 weeks, then call them and ask if they have it. My experience:

Sent start of July
Phoned end of July, no trace of it
Send again (with statement of earnings from UK company)
Wait another month.
Call again, they haven't got it
Call again in desperation, eventually get to someone, fax it to them direct and they said they have processed. Just waiting for a refund!
Thanks for that i will send it off on Monday

Steve
Old Oct 27th 2008, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

Got my refund, yeah!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by emailrob
Got my refund, yeah!
Well done dont spend it all at once

Steve
Old Oct 27th 2008, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

if only! Got to pay off some of my UK credit card. Can't afford to transfer it into $$$!