UK tax and HMRC (living in US)

Old Jan 4th 2017, 12:16 am
Just Joined

ethreal123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK tax and HMRC (living in US)

Hi Folks,
Happy new year.
Hope this is right place to ask.

I have been living and working abroad since June 2015 (my job in UK ended in May 2015). I worked in UK for 5+ years and I am UK permanent resident/not citizen.

I have not informed hmrc since then and have not filed any tax return either as I had no income from UK. Shall I inform hmrc of all this.

Thank you
Old Jan 4th 2017, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK tax and HMRC (living in US)

You may be entitled to a tax refund, so probably worth doing so. You probably mean to say you were a permanent resident as that has probably now expired.
Old Jan 6th 2017, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

AmanSood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK tax and HMRC (living in US)

ethreal123 - were you working in the UK as an employee? If so, as mrken30 says, depending on your level of income, you would likely be due a tax refund for the 2015/16 tax year so worth filing a tax return to claim this back and let HMRC know you broke UK tax residence from the point you left i.e. June 2015.