Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK syllabus tutor alongside US schooling - in case of return to UK

UK syllabus tutor alongside US schooling - in case of return to UK

Old Sep 28th 2021, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK syllabus tutor alongside US schooling - in case of return to UK

Hi all,

As i'm sure you've read in some of my previous posts, we are off to the USA, hopefully by around March/April next year. When we first planned this move, our eldest daughter was 10 but because of circumstances out of our control, she'll be 13 and a bit when we eventually relocate. I'm pretty sure she'll be fine but want really concerns me is if we return after 3 years, my O1 gives me a guaranteed 3 years. This will put her right slap bang at the age where it is terrible to move her from an educational perspective. Of course, i am sure we will end up moving to perm res but i feel i need a bit of a back up plan for her.

Therefore, as anyone employed a private tutor that could work with their child and run UK syllabus tutoring alongside their US schooling? I'm not sure how different the schooling is but several subjects spring to mind, maths and history? Do USA schools only teach imperial and not metric??

Many thanks

Old Sep 28th 2021, 3:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK syllabus tutor alongside US schooling - in case of return to UK

As the parent of a 14 & 16 year old, I can't imagine how on earth they'd have time to keep up with two different curriculums tbh, not to mention how confusing that would be. It would be an awful lot to put them through for a 'what if' scenario IMO and the workload would be immense.

If you think there's a strong possibility of wanting to return to the UK, then is a British School an option?
Old Sep 28th 2021, 6:13 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
As the parent of a 14 & 16 year old, I can't imagine how on earth they'd have time to keep up with two different curriculums tbh, not to mention how confusing that would be. It would be an awful lot to put them through for a 'what if' scenario IMO and the workload would be immense.

If you think there's a strong possibility of wanting to return to the UK, then is a British School an option?

This.

Double curriculum would drown her in work and she would have no time for a social life or to participate in the after-school activities her school in the US would likely provide.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 6:30 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be easier to fill in the gaps after a return to the UK, should that occur. My elder son managed to miss out on matrix algebra, which he would have been taught at A level but didn't realise until part way into his degree course in the UK. If you are able to keep track of the gaps you can be more prepared for filling them in.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all,

It wasn't the plan to try and teach the whole UK syllabus, far from it as you say, she'll be snowed under to the point that she'll have no life outside being taught, It was simply just to fill in some of the small gaps where US teaching might be completely different, such as i say, anything to do with keeping up with teaching pertaining to the metric system.
On a different note, i have read that the USA technically is metric but i see zero signs of that being the case, even in the building industry. Very odd if that's the case.
M
Old Sep 29th 2021, 8:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mic1
It wasn't the plan to try and teach the whole UK syllabus, far from it as you say, she'll be snowed under to the point that she'll have no life outside being taught, It was simply just to fill in some of the small gaps where US teaching might be completely different
Everything would be completely different though. Even a subject that you think might be vaguely the same like English would be completely different, as in the UK she'd have set texts and there's pretty much no chance of her studying the same ones in the US. So you really would have to keep up with the curriculum for all subjects.

As above, if it's a worry and you think there's a good chance of you coming back, I'd look in to a British School or an IB program, then she could slot back in to the UK schooling system if needed.

But from what you've said, she'd be 16 when/if you return - so Year 11? So less concerning as then she's not be coming back in GCSE year, she'd just start A Levels - or the IB Diploma if you could get her in to an IB school.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 29th 2021 at 8:59 am.
Old Sep 29th 2021, 10:20 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all,

It wasn't the plan to try and teach the whole UK syllabus, far from it as you say, she'll be snowed under to the point that she'll have no life outside being taught, It was simply just to fill in some of the small gaps where US teaching might be completely different, such as i say, anything to do with keeping up with teaching pertaining to the metric system.
On a different note, i have read that the USA technically is metric but i see zero signs of that being the case, even in the building industry. Very odd if that's the case.
M
That in itself isn't a huge obstacle. It would be difficult for her to return in or just before her GCSE year as has been mentioned, but she could no doubt adapt for A levels. My son grew up in the US, and completed high school here, but slotted in fine to a technical degree in the UK (civil engineering & construction management). His US maths instruction, at least in high school, was definitely metric but that isn't a huge issue anyway as long as you are learning the mathematical principles and practice the actual units don't matter much at all. He also did some pre-engineering classes in high school (PLTW program) and that was helpful.

https://www.pltw.org/our-programs/pltw-engineering

Old Sep 29th 2021, 3:40 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

As i'm sure you've read in some of my previous posts, we are off to the USA, hopefully by around March/April next year. When we first planned this move, our eldest daughter was 10 but because of circumstances out of our control, she'll be 13 and a bit when we eventually relocate. I'm pretty sure she'll be fine but want really concerns me is if we return after 3 years, my O1 gives me a guaranteed 3 years. This will put her right slap bang at the age where it is terrible to move her from an educational perspective. Of course, i am sure we will end up moving to perm res but i feel i need a bit of a back up plan for her.

Therefore, as anyone employed a private tutor that could work with their child and run UK syllabus tutoring alongside their US schooling? I'm not sure how different the schooling is but several subjects spring to mind, maths and history? Do USA schools only teach imperial and not metric??

Many thanks
Not to go O/T but since you are doing contingency planning one thing to note per your post is no visa is really “guaranteed” maybe the O1 is different, but for the L1 and to a lesser extent the H1b since a holder can find a new job, the visa is dependent on things not changing. If someone is terminate the visa holder has to leave and things like companies being sold and also promotions or changes in location can cause issues. Even having a valid visa and job does not guarantee you entry, look at CV19 and NIE.

I did not have kid and school to think about when I came in an L1, but knowing all of the above I did wait to buy a property and until my GC was in hand.
Old Sep 30th 2021, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your well thought out replies, greatly appreciated. As i self-confessed over thinker (and control freak), i know this is all i'm doing and i accept that there are so many variables at play here. In response to THT, i would at no point consider buying a property until i was sure we could stay.

Judging by the responses though, no one has even thought of or had their child tutored with one syllabus alongside another, so i've digested what has been said and probably park this one.

Thanks again members.

Old Oct 5th 2021, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry so much about the educational aspect as kids seem to adapt better to that aspect than us adults but I would be concerned about the emotional impact. Both of your daughters are an age where they are very attached to their friends and moving to another country might be exciting but its also very taxing on them. What sort of characters do they have? Are they confident? shy? My eldest daughter was a very confident just turned 15 yr old when she arrived but she struggled the 1st few months. Once she made friends, things turned around but even today, she is half in and half out as an American. My son was more introspective, had been bullied at his last school and generally struggling with puberty. For the first 5 yrs here, life was a nightmare for us. It only in the last few years, he has settled down and he turned 34 yr this year. A move back to Scotland for 3 yrs seems to have settled his mind that he is happy here. Our youngest daughter who was 10, about to turned 11, went from a shy not too confident child to the opposite. Turned out to be perfect age for her, as she moved up to middle school with no history and so no hang ups from the past. Anyone who meets her, considers her Texan and are surprised to find out she is British.
I would definitely familiarise yourself with the American educational system which varies from State to state, then school district to school district. We didn't have a clue and it was very detrimental for us and our kids but then we only expected to be here for 14 months, not the 20 plus so far. Pick your school district carefully. Also uncertainty, plays havoc on a child's mind if they are not use to moving about. (I think kids who are used to moving about, cope better), so the sooner you apply for Greencards the better. Can O2 visa holders, work? My 2 oldest kids suffered because they couldn't work.All their friends worked and had cars whereas they had to rely on us for all their money and car trips.
I am not trying to be downer but shifting your focus.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

JosiesJourney is an unknown quantity at this point

Amazing replies from everyone.
I agree with many who say you may just want to get her into middle school and see how she goes - she may need a tutor just for school here - I have a 13 yo girl in 8th grade and she needs a math tutor even though we are 4 years in. Sometimes they just do.
We were thinking the same about UK curriculum when we first arrived but I think it makes more sense to just get them settled here then figure out tutors and alignment if and when you do decide to return to the UK.
Good luck!