Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK state pension and USA social security

UK state pension and USA social security

Old Dec 5th 2015, 11:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by UK2US1979
The advice BE member gave about the top up of SS pension with the use of UK credits would appear to be accurate because she was already qualified for the SS pension on her own contributions to the system here. Hence could not have used her UK credits for the purpose you/she had in mind.
I asked if she could use credits in the pension she qualified for to "top up" her UK pension to reach a qualifying level in that, or use the UK pension to reach a full SS pension. The answer that I received was as she already qualified for one pension that ruled out either option. At least that is my recollection of a discussion a good few years ago now so I'm not going to put money on my memory being correct especially in light of your comments here.

As to the UK, minimum required for myself ( men ) was also 10 years. I thought for women, UK required a bit lesser credits/years. So, it is interesting that at 9 years, she was short by 1 year. That does change the entire picture a bit. If she already had US credits also and if my interpretation were accurate, she could have used 1 year of her US credits to meet the minimum requirements for UK purposes. But you are saying that DWP did not suggest that. Could it be that they didn't suggest it because she was going to buy some extra years in UK anyway and/or the claim for UK pension had not yet been filed ?
The discussion with DWP was early 2006 when we knew we would be heading Stateside end of that year. They offered the option of buying extra years but at that time we didn't proceed with doing so, but did a few months later. They never mentioned using US credits even though she didn't say she would buy extra years at that time. Basically we were trying to work out when our various pensions would pay out, and for how much, to determine if we could retire when we moved or had to look for jobs in the US.

If and when I learn of DWP treatment of US credits towards my brother's minimum years requirement, I would let you know. As I mentioned earlier, their letter said something to the effect that they were contacting their US counterpart to see if his pension could be "improved". Whatever that means!
That would be good then there is something definite to go on and I'll probably find out I have had it arse about face for the last 10 years.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

UK2US1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
I asked if she could use credits in the pension she qualified for to "top up" her UK pension to reach a qualifying level in that, or use the UK pension to reach a full SS pension. The answer that I received was as she already qualified for one pension that ruled out either option. At least that is my recollection of a discussion a good few years ago now so I'm not going to put money on my memory being correct especially in light of your comments here.

The discussion with DWP was early 2006 when we knew we would be heading Stateside end of that year. They offered the option of buying extra years but at that time we didn't proceed with doing so, but did a few months later. They never mentioned using US credits even though she didn't say she would buy extra years at that time. Basically we were trying to work out when our various pensions would pay out, and for how much, to determine if we could retire when we moved or had to look for jobs in the US.

That would be good then there is something definite to go on and I'll probably find out I have had it arse about face for the last 10 years.
Thanks for sharing the information. Obviously, you opined based on what you were told. It does not mean you yourself were wrong. Once my brothers claim has been finalized, only then we will know for sure. He is, however, told by the contact center that even though the letter to him states that he is not qualified for UK Pension because of him not having the minimum 11 years required, this is not a final decision.

I called the contact center today and spoke with a representative. I referred to the Totalization Agreement and asked a general question regarding my brother's pension. I specifically asked if one is already drawing the US Social Security, would they still be able to qualify for the UK pension by virtue of the Totalization Agreement. ( i.e using US credits to meet the UK minimum). She said that was correct and that is why they are contacting the US SSA. She added that once confirmed, his UK pension will be pro rated.
So, it would appear that our initial understanding of how Totalization Agreement applies, was accurate.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 8:58 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK2US1979

I called the contact center today and spoke with a representative. I referred to the Totalization Agreement and asked a general question regarding my brother's pension. I specifically asked if one is already drawing the US Social Security, would they still be able to qualify for the UK pension by virtue of the Totalization Agreement. ( i.e using US credits to meet the UK minimum). She said that was correct and that is why they are contacting the US SSA. She added that once confirmed, his UK pension will be pro rated.
So, it would appear that our initial understanding of how Totalization Agreement applies, was accurate.
In that case I am happy to be wrong in what I posted here, and your brother and others will in fact get a pension.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 3:13 am
Just Joined

Mike1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone answer this query I have on WEP (Windfall Elimination Provision).

My American wife and I (I'm British) were advised by the SSA that I could claim social security on the back of my wifes 30+ years of contributing to SSA in America as I had made no contributions to the SSA fund. Similarly she is eligible to a UK state pension based on my full NI contributions over 40+ years.

I've looked at various websites for information regarding WEP and both our entitlements but reading the SSA 2015 advisory, it doesn't seem to cover our specific situation when living in the USA. In essence, with each of us receiving a state pension (US for her) and (UK for me) which we fully paid into, plus receiving a spouse based pension (US for me and UK for her), does WEP come into play, if it does where does it specify it and how much will it cost us ?

Any pointers gratefully received.

Old Jan 3rd 2016, 3:35 am
Just Joined

Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security & WEP

Having read some of the posts here it seems that people are saying that if the American spouse has worked and paid in SSA for 30 years then WEP does not apply in any respect to the UK benefits paid to the UK citizen (100% state pension) or non contributed benefits to the US wife (60% of UK state pension). Is this correct ?

Old Jan 3rd 2016, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Disenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond repute

I believe your spousal pension based on your wife's US SSA pension may well be subject to GOP reduction because of your UK OAP.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10007.pdf

I do not believe your wife's spousal pension based on your UK NI contributions will be reduced in the UK and it will not cause WEP on her US SSA pension because she has 30+ tears of contributions to SS.

Greg.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

I've looked at the WEP form in more detail this morning having checked with my wife on her SSA contribution print out since she started work and it does look as though she is exempt as you say.

The WEP guide line said if "You have 30 or more years of substantial earnings under Social Security." you are exempt from WEP and she is above the 'substantial earnings' chart for those 30 years so even that caveat seems to be covered. I'll check it further but it does look positive, thanks.

Old Jan 3rd 2016, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Mike1000
I've looked at the WEP form in more detail this morning having checked with my wife on her SSA contribution print out since she started work and it does look as though she is exempt as you say.

The WEP guide line said if "You have 30 or more years of substantial earnings under Social Security." you are exempt from WEP and she is above the 'substantial earnings' chart for those 30 years so even that caveat seems to be covered. I'll check it further but it does look positive, thanks.

I claim a spouse SS pension based on my wife's contributions. As my wife didn't pay in for 30 years her SS payments are WEPed. Mine are not.

As your wife has 30 years contributions neither of your SS payments will be WEPed.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Disenchanted
I believe your spousal pension based on your wife's US SSA pension may well be subject to GOP reduction because of your UK OAP.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10007.pdf

I do not believe your wife's spousal pension based on your UK NI contributions will be reduced in the UK and it will not cause WEP on her US SSA pension because she has 30+ tears of contributions to SS.

Greg.
GOP only applies to pensions paid in the USA, not non US government pensions. Confirmed when I claimed my SS a few months back.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Ebor24 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone been able to file and suspend social security benefits on line? From what I have read its not possible since you can't file if you request benefits to be received more than 4 months from the filing. So if one is at FRA of 66 then its not possible to suspend until one is 70. I suppose one can do that at the local office? But I'm not sure about this.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

Has anyone filled in form SSA-308 "Modified Benefit Formula Questionnaire -Foreign Pension"? I receive the U.K State pension with 3 years of non-covered earnings-based contributions and 30 years of Class 3 voluntary contributions. The form is used to determine what proportion of the U.K. State pension falls under WEP. In my case only 3 years should be considered as voluntary contributions are not included in WEP. The problem I have is the form (question 6a) asks for the pension amount for the month you first receive a U.S. social security check. That amount is not exactly known since it fluctuates. The problem is compounded as I plan to file and suspend for two years so who knows what it would be then. I can estimate but is that good enough? Any advice on this would be appreciated.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 9:03 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ebor24
Has anyone been able to file and suspend social security benefits on line? From what I have read its not possible since you can't file if you request benefits to be received more than 4 months from the filing. So if one is at FRA of 66 then its not possible to suspend until one is 70. I suppose one can do that at the local office? But I'm not sure about this.
Not sure what you mean here. If you don't want to collect until you are 70, you don't file until prior to your 70th birthday. Once you actually file, that is it, there is no stopping it.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

I plan to file and suspend payments until I am 70 because this enables my wife to file a restricted application for spousal benefits based on my social security benefits when she reaches her FRA this year.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Question 6 on form SSA-308 reads as follows:

"Enter the amount of your pension before any deductions are made to provide for a survivor annuity, health insurance, etc. (If the pension is not paid in U.S. dollars, show the amount of the pension in the currency in which it is paid.)"

If one receives as I do the state pension money directly in $US should it be reported as such or in pounds? Its somewhat ambiguous. Anyone have a comment on this?
Old Jan 12th 2016, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Disenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ebor24
I plan to file and suspend payments until I am 70 because this enables my wife to file a restricted application for spousal benefits based on my social security benefits when she reaches her FRA this year.
"File and suspend" will no longer be an option after May 1st 2016.

Say Goodbye to the Social Security 'File-and-Suspend' Strategy - US News

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.