Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK state pension and USA social security

UK state pension and USA social security

Old Apr 5th 2015, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by nun
UK private pensions are not taxable when paid to a US resident, be that a US citizen or resident alien. You file a US Individual 2002 form and the UK pension will pa paid gross, no UK tax withheld. The UK tax allowance is not applicable because the income itself is UK tax free and there is no need to file a UK self assessment.
Thank you, nun. I suppose the same will apply whether the pension is annuitised, or (under the new system) drawn down in occasional lumps; that the pension company will have the 2002 form/ declaration on file, and pay any withdrawals free of UK tax?
Old Apr 5th 2015, 7:53 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gester
I found this IRS definition of "lump sum" under topic 412...
"A lump-sum distribution is the distribution or payment within a single tax year of a plan participant's entire balance from all of the employer's qualified plans of one kind (for example, pension, profit-sharing or stock bonus plans). Additionally, a lump-sum distribution is a distribution that is paid:

Because of the plan participant's death,
After the participant reaches age 59½,
Because the participant, if an employee, separates from service, or
After the participant, if a self-employed individual, becomes totally and permanently disabled."

I understand Para 2 is not exempted from the saving clause but it doesn't need to be as the 25% payment is not the "entire balance".
If you want to argue that you can and see what the IRS says. To date the IRS has taken the view that the 25% tax free lump sum when taken in a single year is just that.....a lump sum.....and they tax it under Article 17.2. If you want to try to keep the tax free UK pension distribution you have to convince the IRS that it is not a lump sum....taking a number of payments over more than one year would make it into a periodic payment.
Old Apr 5th 2015, 8:00 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jb82
To add to the discussion the SSA seems to treat pensions such as the one in the UK as follows for WEP purposes in their POMS manual:

"4. Unique payments
When an employer or pension-paying agency allows an individual who is eligible for retirement or disability benefits to determine the disbursement amount, the duration of the pension or the start date, WEP is applicable when the individual first becomes entitled to the pension per RS 00605.360B.3. Treat the pension as a lump sum and follow the instructions in the next subsection RS 00605.364C.5."

Ie as a lump sum.

This is not enshrined in law nor do I know if this has been added recently or not. However it does provide some clear evidence of how the US intends to treat these UK pensions. Whether that is correct or not is still up for debate. And whether the IRS takes this view is also unknown.

Do also note that the definition for lump sum in the US is in respect to qualified retirement plans. Since UK pensions are not qualified and US qualified pensions wouldn't allow tax free payments like that there is also an argument to say that the definition doesn't apply to uk pensions.
This is used to calculate WEP for accounts that are not traditional defined benefit pensions that have a a known amount of income. Many state workers that don't pay SS taxes have defined contribution plans and the entire lump sum value of the account along with age and IRS annuity tables is used to calculate WEP. It has no bearing on how the income taken from the pension account would be taxed.
Old Apr 5th 2015, 8:03 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kodokan
Thank you, nun. I suppose the same will apply whether the pension is annuitised, or (under the new system) drawn down in occasional lumps; that the pension company will have the 2002 form/ declaration on file, and pay any withdrawals free of UK tax?
Basically yes. The US International 2002 adjusts your tax code to NT on the relevant accounts, be they annuities or drawdown
Old Apr 12th 2015, 10:54 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Online application submitted for social security. Let battle begin that the Government Service Offset only applies to US government jobs and not jobs outside the US. If I lose that argument I will not get any social security.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Disenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gester
Wife has zero SSA contributions and is currently collecting SSA spousal benefit based on my record.
She is entitled to full UK pension based on (mostly) voluntary contributions to UK scheme. If she now starts collecting UK pension is her SSA payment subject to WEP?
Originally Posted by lansbury
General forum wisdom is that the spouse is not subject to WEP. However reading the various information provided by SSA, there is a niggling doubt that might not be correct.
What about GPO???
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10007.pdf
Old Apr 14th 2015, 6:35 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Disenchanted
See post 710 above
Old Apr 14th 2015, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Disenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
If you can manage it deferring both US SS and UK state pensions is a great deal. Your SS payment goes up by 8% a year and your UK state pension increases by 10% each year. That's a great return from what is in effect an annuity.
Not any more, anyone not 65 before April 6th 2016 will only make 5.8% per deferred year with their UK pension. Missed it by 15 weeks.

I hope the new minimum will at least offset that reduction. How about you nun, did you make it before the deadline?
Old Apr 14th 2015, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
See post 710 above
Sorry, missed that.

Although at initial reading it only seems to apply if the primary recipient is WEP'd then the spouse benefit is GPO'd, but then you know how certain nuances that they don't mention seem to bite us in the butt.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Disenchanted
Sorry, missed that.

Although at initial reading it only seems to apply if the primary recipient is WEP'd then the spouse benefit is GPO'd, but then you know how certain nuances that they don't mention seem to bite us in the butt.
I have to say having read what I can find on GPO I am not expecting to receive any social security. The only glimmer of light is that in the explanation given on the online social security application it does say for Federal pensions, foreign pensions are excluded. It didn't have a similar comment for State and local government pensions.

I ticked the box no I don't receive a government pension, but put in the comments that I received a pension from the Metropolitan Police Service, London, England and that for the purposes of a SS application I didn't believe that was classed as a government pension. My argument being that for 23 out of the 30 years I served the Met was overseen by the Home Office and therefore it is a foreign Federal pension. Clutching at straws but you have to give it a try.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Interestingly, when you look at the SSA's GPO calculator there are only two numbers they require, one is the amount of the spousal SS benefit, the other is the gross monthly government pension amount of the spouse claiming the spousal benefit. So as it doesn't ask for your "Gov Pension" I'd say there will be no GPO as your spouse does not have a Gov Pension!!!
Calculators: GPO Calculator

Ooops, just read your post #697 and realized it is you that is claiming spousal benefit on your spouse's US SS contributions, so if the SSA consider your Met Police Pension a government pension they will GPO your spousal benefit.

Last edited by Disenchanted; Apr 14th 2015 at 9:17 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: USA social security WEP

I just found this little gem and was wondering if I was delusional? I'm sure it's too good to be true, but, you never know about these things, so I'm hoping it's as simple as it seems!!!

From http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10069.pdf

How much can you earn and still get benefits?
If you were born January 2, 1943, through January 1, 1955, then your full retirement age for retirement insurance benefits is 66.
If you work, and are full retirement age or older, you may keep all of your benefits, no matter how much you earn.

If you’re younger than full retirement age, there is a limit to how much you can earn and still receive full Social Security benefits.

I currently work for City Government and will have a US Civil Service Pension plus a UK Defined Benefits Pension and a UK NI Pension, so being WEP'd $400+ on my US SS pension in retirement is inevitable.

I was born in 1951 so my full retirement age is UK/65, USA/66, I plan on working until I'm 67y 8mo. Based on the above I can draw my full US SS pension at 66 and if I'm still working my City job my SS benefit will NOT be reduced until I do retire.

Based on what the SSA say I believe the best plan would be to collect my US SS at 66? Should I also take my UK pension at 65, bearing in mind that I'm going to be in the "new pension" scheme so will only get 5.8% if I defer and not the 10.5% I was initially thought I would get?

Greg.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 8:02 pm

That refers to what you can earn. If you are reading into it you will not be WEP'd until you retire I think you are wrong. The WEP will kick in when you receive both SS and UK State pensions. Pensions are not earnings.
Old Apr 16th 2015, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

jb82 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think GPO is supposed to be US government pensions only. From their POMS manual:
1. Government

Government means:
Federal - The United States Government, including military service (see RS 01901.480) and Federal Judges receiving a full salary benefit. Foreign pensions do not cause offset.
State - The 50 States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and Northern Mariana Islands.
Local - A political subdivision (see RS 01505.001B) including wholly owned instrumentalities (does not include interstate instrumentalities - RS 01505.005B).
Old Apr 16th 2015, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by jb82
I think GPO is supposed to be US government pensions only. From their POMS manual:
1. Government

Government means:
Federal - The United States Government, including military service (see RS 01901.480) and Federal Judges receiving a full salary benefit. Foreign pensions do not cause offset.
State - The 50 States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and Northern Mariana Islands.
Local - A political subdivision (see RS 01505.001B) including wholly owned instrumentalities (does not include interstate instrumentalities - RS 01505.005B).
My thinking is the same as yours GPO only applies to US government pensions. But with all things SS it comes down to whoever adjudicates my application and if they agree, or can be convinced that is the case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.