British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK state pension and USA social security (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-state-pension-usa-social-security-733297/)

Steerpike Aug 5th 2021 8:44 pm

Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 13037270)
The voluntary payments I made were Class 3 after I had retired so that is the difference. Hopefully the timing will be acceptable to SSA, in that the years listed as self employment match years in the SS record where you also paid FICA.

Since I have well over 30 years of Social Security contributions, I am assuming I'm well past the 'WEP' stage so this should all be academic ... hopefully!

durham_lad Aug 5th 2021 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 13037541)
Since I have well over 30 years of Social Security contributions, I am assuming I'm well past the 'WEP' stage so this should all be academic ... hopefully!

absolutely.

Nelbelmom Feb 23rd 2022 3:20 pm

I have been on this forum before, but have now reached the next stage of questions.
We are US residents.
Husband is a dual citizen, England born. He's dealing with health issues and subsequent anxiety issues and is of no help whatever at this point in time. So I'm on my own.
We are fortunate enough to just fall within the category that allows me to collect a UK National pension based on the fact that he gets one. Mine will not affect my SS, because it is not based on earned income in England.
We began receiving our UK pensions January, 2021, but it took FOREVER, and many overseas phone calls, for the UK to get things fully sorted out so they could send me an official break down of how many years my husband received earned income in the UK, and how many years he sent in voluntary payments while working full time in the USA. It finally arrived in late September! I sent it off to the office it was addressed to, which is the Maryland office for International SS dealings. I haven't heard a word back from them since then, and as we were moving to another state it's been on the back burner. I haven't tried calling them yet either, but during the height of Covid, it was impossible to get through.

I now have a form from US SS, asking about Windfall and all of that stuff, with many elaborate questions and calculations expected. My eyes glaze over, and my heart begins to race, just looking at it. We deferred collection until we turned 70, and so this past year not only included regular monthly payments from the UK, but also some lump sum payments, as we backdated the application for a year at the suggestion of an advisor. Then after they calculated how much of a monthly increase we should get for having deferred collection prior to that, we got another lump sum to make up for what should have been added to our payments that began last January. I've put all of it into the bank, because I have no clue how much we'll need to pay back to US SS once this all gets sorted out.

It's not like I can just write down how much money has come to us on the Windfall UK forms and do straight calculations. At least half of his UK contributions were voluntary, and so that needs to be calculated for. And on the US side, he's not qualified to receive both pensions without penalties, because, although he worked here for over 30 years, after 5 years he switched to being self employed and the amount of post business deductions income did not always reach the levels for US SS payments, that US SS requires for a year to qualify for the 30 year exclusion.

So, does anybody have any advice, suggestions, or experience with a company (that doesn't cost a fortune) which helps figure all of this out?

And has anybody been able to get through to the Maryland SS office recently without any problem? I am hoping that they could help me figure all of this out.

lansbury Feb 23rd 2022 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Nelbelmom (Post 13096906)

So, does anybody have any advice, suggestions, or experience with a company (that doesn't cost a fortune) which helps figure all of this out?

And has anybody been able to get through to the Maryland SS office recently without any problem? I am hoping that they could help me figure all of this out.

I can't recommend a company as I don't recall anyone posting here that they have used such an entity. The UK office dealing with your State pension call tell you the amount of the pension earned by the voluntary payments. When it came to working my wife's SS out we found the normal claim phone line, and our local office very knowledgeable, we didn't contact the Maryland office at all. In fact we gave the amounts over the phone for her UK pension and he told us right away what her SS would be, that was when she claimed SS. Beforehand we used the calculator at https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirem...iaWepjs04.html so we had an idea what we thought it should be, and indeed the two were very close.

If you cannot get through to Maryland have you tried your local office. WEP isn't new and has been around a long time, I would be surprised if they don't have an "office expert" who can help. The only other suggestion I can gave is look for a local lawyer who specializes in dealing with SS benefits, they will no doubt help but at a price.

Nelbelmom Feb 23rd 2022 5:48 pm

Thank you! I will check these things out.

geak Feb 23rd 2022 6:06 pm

I have an accountant with UK US tax experience if needed.

Nelbelmom Feb 23rd 2022 6:24 pm

That would potentially be helpful, as we are planning to sell a house in the UK before too much longer, and I'd really like advice on the best way to go about it tax-wise.

Pulaski Feb 25th 2022 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Nelbelmom (Post 13096980)
..... we are planning to sell a house in the UK before too much longer, and I'd really like advice on the best way to go about it tax-wise.

If you'd be willing to share a few details (in another thread, not this one). Then we have a fair body of experience and knowledge on CGT related to sale of your home. Relevant information notably includes periods when you lived in it and when you moved out of it, if you ever rented it out (and declared revenue on a US tax return), whether you are a US citizen or otherwise liable for US taxes, and whether you file US taxes jointly or singly. At least we can give you a few ideas and pointers before you talk to a tax professional. :)

Nelbelmom Feb 25th 2022 3:14 am

I'd be happy to do that, but I'm unaware of any way to do it either as another thread, or as a private message? Do you know how?
Thanks

Pulaski Feb 25th 2022 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Nelbelmom (Post 13097445)
I'd be happy to do that, but I'm unaware of any way to do it either as another thread, or as a private message? Do you know how?
Thanks

At the top of this screen, just below where it says BritishExpats,com in blue and orange, it says "British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA" .... Click on "USA". This will take you to the USA subforum (where you found this thread on UK State Pensions).

Then look a little way down from the top, on the left hand side is a brown-ish coloured button that says "+ New Thread". .... Tip - check the title you give your thread very carefully before you hit "post" as you cannot edit/ correct it (but the mods can if you ask them nicely). :)

Glasgow Girl Feb 25th 2022 3:25 pm

[QUOTE=Nelbelmom;13096906

..[/QUOTE]

I don’t think you need to pay for professional help. If it were me, I would fill in the form to the best of your ability leaving blanks where you don’t know what to enter. Include a cover letter stating that you did the best you could and request they contact you. They will get in touch eventually, probably sooner than later, since you owe them and not the other way around. I would send the form and letter to both offices. Keep a copy, send by registered mail and keep your receipts. Worst case scenario you will owe them the maximum WEP of $512 a month or half of the UK payment whichever is lower. Probably a lot less if you have many years of voluntary contributions. I would put half of your lump sum payments aside as well to be on the safe side.

Nelbelmom Feb 25th 2022 6:56 pm

Thank you Glasgow girl, I appreciate your advice. I pretty much need to get this sorted out before I do our taxes, because otherwise I won't know what to fill in as far as what we've received.

When you say "both offices", I assume that you are referring to the International office and the local SS offices?

Thanks.

Glasgow Girl Feb 26th 2022 2:25 am

Originally Posted by Nelbelmom (Post 13097655)

When you say "both offices", I assume that you are referring to the International office and the local SS offices?

Thanks.

Yes

Glasgow Girl Feb 26th 2022 2:41 am

Originally Posted by Nelbelmom (Post 13097655)
Thank you Glasgow girl, I appreciate your advice. I pretty much need to get this sorted out before I do our taxes, because otherwise I won't know what to fill in as far as what we've received.

Thanks.

For your tax return for 2021 you should fill in what you actually received for the UK pension and US SS. Although SS will retrospectively WEP your 2021 income in 2022, the transaction itself will occur in 2022 whenever they get around to figuring it out, but will not retrospectively impact your 2021 taxes. Your taxes are always based on the transactions that occur in the tax year. In 2021 you will have more income than you would have had if WEP had been calculated and applied in 2021, and in 2022 you will have less income than normal because you will get the 2021 and and the 2022 WEP, and in 2023 and all subsequent years it should be normal. It will all work itself out so you will be whole in the end. Put simply you can go ahead and do your 2021 taxes based upon the income you received in that year, you do not need to wait for the WEP calculations to be completed.

lansbury Feb 27th 2022 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Nelbelmom (Post 13096906)

I was reading the Sunday Oregonian today and the financial expert was answering a question about SS. The article mention this company https://www.socialsecuritysolutions.com/ who appear to specialize in assisting with SS claims. That is all I know about them but I thought of your questions when reading the article so posted the link here in case it is of use to you.