British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   UK state pension and USA social security (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-state-pension-usa-social-security-733297/)

britmog Jul 20th 2021 2:32 pm

Re: UK state pension and USA social security

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 13031076)
All three of your pensions should be declared and will be used to calculate the amount of WEP. That part of your State pension derived from voluntary contributions is as you say exempt from the calculation.

Thank you for the confirmation.

durham_lad Jul 20th 2021 3:10 pm

Form SSA-308 is used to identify which years were from work and which were from voluntary contributions for foreign pensions. This is the form she was asked to complete after she begins receiving her SS which she applied for recently. The WEP reduction will then begin.

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-308.pdf

britmog Jul 20th 2021 5:39 pm

Thank you durham lad for that information. However, in my case the reduction for Voluntary Contributions I made to the UK State Pension in the WEP calculation makes no difference to the SS payment.

Ken Walker Jul 28th 2021 8:43 pm

I have only just come across this thread:
I am currently taking SS at 65 and I am eligible for my UK pension next year.
If I were to suspend my SS until age 70 and claim my UK pension at age 66 would this mean I would not pay WEP until age 70?

durham_lad Jul 28th 2021 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Ken Walker (Post 13034520)
If I were to suspend my SS until age 70 and claim my UK pension at age 66 would this mean I would not pay WEP until age 70?

Yes, I would think so.

Giantaxe Jul 28th 2021 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ken Walker (Post 13034520)

Unless you want to pay back all that you've so far received in SS (I presume you must have taken it early if you are currently 65) you would need to wait until your full SS retirement age (66 years and 2 or 4 months?) to suspend and then subsequently start UK State Pension.

Tzar Aug 4th 2021 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 13031076)
All three of your pensions should be declared and will be used to calculate the amount of WEP. That part of your State pension derived from voluntary contributions is as you say exempt from the calculation.

If I contributed to UK pension while living in the UK for a few years, then moved to the US and started making voluntary contributions, how do I know which part of my UK pension is based on earned income (and subject to WEP) and which part isn't?

tht Aug 4th 2021 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Tzar (Post 13037113)
If I contributed to UK pension while living in the UK for a few years, then moved to the US and started making voluntary contributions, how do I know which part of my UK pension is based on earned income (and subject to WEP) and which part isn't?

The part related to employment would, and the part related to your voluntary contributions would not.

durham_lad Aug 4th 2021 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Tzar (Post 13037113)

When you log onto your HMRC account online to check your NI contributions record it is clear which years are voluntary.

Steerpike Aug 4th 2021 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 13037122)
When you log onto your HMRC account online to check your NI contributions record it is clear which years are voluntary.

Where should I be looking: I see two areas of interest;
View your state pension forecast
and
View your National Insurance Record

The latter seems appropriate. When I follow that link, I'm given a list of years, with only 'Full Year' or 'Year is not full' presented, and a 'view details' option.
'View details' opens a few more lines that say (eg)
'You have contributions from Self-employment: 53 weeks' (these were actually the 'voluntary payments' I made)
OR,
'you have contributions from paid employment' (these were for actual work-years)
OR,
'You have contributions from National Insurance credits: 50 weeks. These may have been added to your record if you were ill/disabled, unemployed, caring for someone full-time or on jury service.' (these were actually from when I was a student in the 70s).
Plus I have some 'year is not full' entries that have basically combinations of the above.

SO ... I guess the 'voluntary payments' are those indicated as 'Self-employment'.

For me, since I've got more than 30 years of US SS payments, I am not affected by WEP so the above is academic, but I wanted to understand anyway!

Interestingly, the record for 2020-21 is not available yet!

durham_lad Aug 4th 2021 9:39 pm

My record is very clear as I was never self employed.

”2019-20 Full year
You have contributions from
Voluntary: 52 weeks”

Glasgow Girl Aug 4th 2021 9:51 pm

All of my voluntary years are shown as “Self Employment” and several others confirmed that was the case for them as well. The thing we all had in common was that we were paying Class 2 rates for voluntary contributions, even though we were fully employed in the USA. I came to the conclusion that Class 3 rates are recoded as voluntary, and class 2 rates as self employed.

Steerpike Aug 4th 2021 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 13037156)
My record is very clear as I was never self employed.

”2019-20 Full year
You have contributions from
Voluntary: 52 weeks”

Wow; I was never self-employed either; I was always full-time employed in UK, and then always full-time employed in US, but as you can see, my record says 'self-employment' ! I wonder if it's related to when you applied for class 2 contributions? I applied only last year; maybe that's when they designated me as self-employed. Maybe you applied a long time ago when things were different? But regardless - interesting differences!

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl (Post 13037160)
All of my voluntary years are shown as “Self Employment” and several others confirmed that was the case for them as well. The thing we all had in common was that we were paying Class 2 rates for voluntary contributions, even though we were fully employed in the USA. I came to the conclusion that Class 3 rates are recoded as voluntary, and class 2 rates as self employed.

​​​​​​​Same for me.

Glasgow Girl Aug 5th 2021 1:54 am

I have been paying voluntary Class 2 since 1996, and they are all classified as Self Employment..

durham_lad Aug 5th 2021 7:44 am

The voluntary payments I made were Class 3 after I had retired so that is the difference. Hopefully the timing will be acceptable to SSA, in that the years listed as self employment match years in the SS record where you also paid FICA.