Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK State Pension application - residence

UK State Pension application - residence

Old Mar 4th 2017, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

aldavidson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK State Pension application - residence

We own property in Canada and in USA. We are retired and spend around 6 months of the year in each country. Now approaching UK State Pension age I’m getting organized to send in my application for payment.

The very strange discriminatory UK policy on annual uprating means that USA applicants receive annual uprating, but Canada residents do not, so obviously it would be advantageous to apply to my UK State pension as a USA resident. The application form I have (IPC BR1) does not mention that anything needs to be provided as proof of residence. Just need to give my “permanent address”. We have one in each country.

Has anyone in a similar position applying for a UK State pension from USA been asked to provide proof of US residence? If so what document(s) were requested and which were provided and accepted?
Old Mar 4th 2017, 1:53 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK State Pension application - residence

Are you a US or Canadian tax resident? Which do you claim as your primary taxation authority?
Old Mar 6th 2017, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

Would appreciate an answers from anyone who is resident in USA and has applied to UK DWP for payment of UK State pension. Was proof of residence requested? If so what was accepted by DWP for this?
Old Mar 7th 2017, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

I would guess that you are resident in Canada and a snowbird to the US when it gets cold.
You are a Canadian resident with the benefit of spending up to 6 months in the USA. If you are not a US citizen, or a green card holder, or a full time visa holder you have to apply for the State pension as a Canadian! You are right it is not fair that the pension is not index linked in Canada. Same thing for Aussies and South Africans.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 8:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aldavidson
Would appreciate an answers from anyone who is resident in USA and has applied to UK DWP for payment of UK State pension. Was proof of residence requested? If so what was accepted by DWP for this?
Did you see Nun's question above? I'm guessing it must be pertinent if he asked, so perhaps if you could answer that you might get some more info/advice from those in the know.

HTH.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 12:21 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Did you see Nun's question above? I'm guessing it must be pertinent if he asked, so perhaps if you could answer that you might get some more info/advice from those in the know.

HTH.
Basically I'm asking how the OP files their taxes; as a US resident or a Canadian resident. If they don't know that there are bigger issues. Also what is their visa status....do they have a US Greencard/citizenship or do they spend time in the US on a B visa? do they have Canadian citizenship or residency? Answers to these questions will help a lot.

Last edited by nun; Mar 7th 2017 at 12:24 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 12:26 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

What US visa do you have......that will be proof of residence. An IRS 8802 is official confirmation of US residency.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Basically I'm asking how the OP files their taxes; as a US resident or a Canadian resident. If they don't know that there are bigger issues. Also what is their visa status....do they have a US Greencard/citizenship or do they spend time in the US on a B visa? do they have Canadian citizenship or residency? Answers to these questions will help a lot.
The same thread is running in the Canada forum where the OP says: Thanks to others for their advice on tax stuff etc - which I'm very familiar with already and am not concerned about.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

I was hoping for a replies from people who have a UK State pension and applied for it with a US address. The application form asks for a permanent address. There's nothing indicating that proof of residence address needs to be included, so I'm interested in whether UK DWP has ever asked a US applicant to provide proof and if so what was requested.

Is it correct that UK DWP do not ask for proof of residence when applying for the UK State pension fron USA?

I'm not concerned at all about tax status or points about green cards etc as I already deal with IRS and CRA, and contrary to some posters it's not a significant problem.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 1:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I was hoping for a replies from people who have a UK State pension and applied for it with a US address. The application form asks for a permanent address. ...
If you don't have a visa entitling you to live, permanently, in the US then your US address isn't a "permanent address". To present the information otherwise would be fraudulent.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:01 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

The OP asked this same question on the Canada thread.

My take is the OP wants to get indexed pensions (not available to those that live in Canada) by using the US address where they snowbird several months a year, even though the OP permanent home/residence, place they file taxes is Canada.

If that's the situation that the OP's permanent home is Canada (files their yearly tax return based on world income in Canada), then could it be possible that it may be illegal to let the UK DWP that they reside in the US as it being their permanent residence?

The kicker is, will the UK inform the US government 'hey we pay money to someone in the US, at such & such address'?
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:11 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I was hoping for a replies from people who have a UK State pension and applied for it with a US address. The application form asks for a permanent address. There's nothing indicating that proof of residence address needs to be included, so I'm interested in whether UK DWP has ever asked a US applicant to provide proof and if so what was requested.

Is it correct that UK DWP do not ask for proof of residence when applying for the UK State pension fron USA?.
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...r1-gov-nsp.pdf

Consider the following

Is the US your permanent address or is it Canada, even another country?

On the application will you put a US bank account, a Canadian bank account or a Bank in another country for your pension to go to?

On the application for state pension I believe that it asks 'address, telephone number'.

From time to time the UK send a letter to the pensioner asking for 'proof of life', where you live, even a telephone number.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-25243993

We have had these letters as well as a call from DWP

Last edited by not2old; Mar 7th 2017 at 2:18 pm. Reason: added link
Old Mar 7th 2017, 2:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it correct that UK DWP do not ask for proof of residence when applying for the UK State pension fron USA?

I'm not concerned at all about tax status or points about green cards etc as I already deal with IRS and CRA, and contrary to some posters it's not a significant problem.
It's been a few years since my wife applied for her British state pension, and I'm deferring mine and haven't applied yet. As far as I remember, they ask you for your foreign tax identification number (so, SS number for a US resident), you sign a declaration that you're a US resident, and you give them your bank details. (They don't have to be US bank details. My wife receives hers in her Isle of Man sterling bank account.) Obviously they already have your postal address and phone number on file in their system.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

How can so much thought go into what's a simple question. Sounds like OP is trying to flaunt rules.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 3:33 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by tom169
How can so much thought go into what's a simple question. Sounds like OP is trying to flaunt rules.
yer reckon that is what the OP is trying to figure out & do it, that he can deceive the system of Her Majesty Government?

Makes you wonder how many folks would go to such great lengths just for a few extra shillings of pension, especially when they have money for the upkeep of two properties (one in each country), spend time along with the hassle, travelling from Ottawa Canada to some place in the sun.

I couldn't be arsed with the 'what could possibly go wrong'

Last edited by not2old; Mar 7th 2017 at 3:53 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.