Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK speeding ticket - need help

UK speeding ticket - need help

Old Jan 31st 2006, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Jill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK speeding ticket - need help

Just got back from UK trip to find speeding ticket in my US mailbox. Apparently clocked by camera doing 38 in 30 mph zone. Does anyone know what the normal fine is for this offense. Do we have to respond to letter (the letter is asking for a guilty plea or to finger someone else for the offense)? Should I ask for a copy of the photo? I am assuming it is of the back of my rental car and doesn't show my face.

I plan to return to UK at least annually - would hate to be wrestled to the floor at immigration because I am on some Interpol listing
Old Jan 31st 2006, 6:37 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK speeding ticket - need help

Originally Posted by Jill
Just got back from UK trip to find speeding ticket in my US mailbox. Apparently clocked by camera doing 38 in 30 mph zone. Does anyone know what the normal fine is for this offense. Do we have to respond to letter (the letter is asking for a guilty plea or to finger someone else for the offense)? Should I ask for a copy of the photo? I am assuming it is of the back of my rental car and doesn't show my face.

I plan to return to UK at least annually - would hate to be wrestled to the floor at immigration because I am on some Interpol listing
Simple question.
How on earth do they have your us address, and are you a british citizen or a yank ??
OK, so that was 2 questions.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 6:40 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Don't look for a problem ... pay the fine ...
Old Jan 31st 2006, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

In BC it was called photo radar - we had 30 days to pay it or else had to appear in court . The one ticket I received was for $125.00 CDN - which I fought and won by the way! If I had not settled my ticket I would not be able to renew my car insurance.

We no longer have it as it wasnt well received by the general public - privacy - etc.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 6:52 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Simple question.
How on earth do they have your us address, and are you a british citizen or a yank ??
OK, so that was 2 questions.
It was a rental car... they take your licence details as well as your credit card details.. both of which have your address ...
Old Jan 31st 2006, 6:59 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
It was a rental car... they take your licence details as well as your credit card details.. both of which have your address ...
Ahh very good.
I would doubt that they'll follow it if the poster used a US license. That's just a guess based on the fact that until very recently speeding tickets issued by northern/southern drivers in the south/nortn of ireland were not followed up.
You might be right though - maybe best just to pay it in order to avoid any nasty surprises.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I thought they [rental company] just charged your credit card the value of the fine?
Old Jan 31st 2006, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Should be a fixed penalty - 3 points and 60 quid fine - assuming you used US license then points are irrelevant. If you had the rental car on the date in question i would just go ahead and pay it. Rental companies will bill tolls/parking tickets but just pass on details for speeding.

You may be unlucky and have it go to court - in which case could be a few hundred but should be fixed penalty.

The letter you have should just be to confirm that you were driving and then they prosecute - they have to do that before they send your fine.

You could do nothing and they wont be able to chase you - but as you say might cause problems on re-entry!!
Old Jan 31st 2006, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Send the ticket and fine amount (which will be on the back of the ticket) and your license to the address on the back of the ticket. You have 30 days to pay from the date of notification or it will be in default and may be called to court.

You wont get wrestled to the floor at immigration but you may get held to pay any outstanding fines.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Send the ticket and fine amount (which will be on the back of the ticket) and your license to the address on the back of the ticket. You have 30 days to pay from the date of notification or it will be in default and may be called to court.

You wont get wrestled to the floor at immigration but you may get held to pay any outstanding fines.

Dont send your license unless you rented car with UK one!

And the letter you have is to admit you were driving - not the fine/ticket itself - this will follow once you admit it was you....careful with the timings too as the trans atlantic post might delay things and increase your fine
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Big D
Dont send your license unless you rented car with UK one!

And the letter you have is to admit you were driving - not the fine/ticket itself - this will follow once you admit it was you....careful with the timings too as the trans atlantic post might delay things and increase your fine
I assumed she rented on a UK license to get the benefits thereof.
Thats why I said just send it in...the timings will be too tight otherwise. I read it as she'd had the ticket not just the NIP.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

I assumed she rented on a UK license to get the benefits thereof.
Thats why I said just send it in...the timings will be too tight otherwise. I read it as she'd had the ticket not just the NIP.

Ah!

But tell me what are the benefits of renting on a UK licence - the main benefit of not for me would be to avoid points on an already 'colourful' UK licence!!
Old Feb 1st 2006, 12:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Big D
Ah!

But tell me what are the benefits of renting on a UK licence - the main benefit of not for me would be to avoid points on an already 'colourful' UK licence!!
Insurance. Unless you have a colourful UK license that is.
Old Feb 1st 2006, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Jill, I assume you were using a rental car ? When you booked the car, did you give them a US or UK drivers license?
I have never heard of anyone getting a UK Photo ticket, mailed to them in USA.
Reg. Frank R
Old Feb 1st 2006, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Insurance. Unless you have a colourful UK license that is.

Really - i never noticed a difference but i will check next time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.