Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK-sized passport photos in the USA?

UK-sized passport photos in the USA?

Old Aug 29th 2011, 1:29 am
Just Joined

seb_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK-sized passport photos in the USA?

Hello compatriots,

I did a search and couldn't find any info on this - does anybody know of a nationwide chain that will do UK-sized passport photos? My passport is up for renewal and it seems that the photo studios in my city (Waco, TX) only do cheesy portraits.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 29th 2011, 1:54 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK-sized passport photos in the USA?

Do your own for free www.epassportphoto.com we did Dh's and they came out fine.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by seb_
Hello compatriots,

I did a search and couldn't find any info on this - does anybody know of a nationwide chain that will do UK-sized passport photos? My passport is up for renewal and it seems that the photo studios in my city (Waco, TX) only do cheesy portraits.

Thanks in advance
I had my Germany-sized passport photos done in a camera store a block from the German consulate in Houston.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Got ours done at walgreens. You need to make sure that the person doing the computer knows it's for a UK passport and they can press a couple of buttons and get it done to the right proportions.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:24 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

send in usa proportion photos. the instructions on the embassy site actually tell you to NOT cut them down and let them do it.

The us style are the same for facial ratios etc- they are just wider (ie show more background).

Ive done this 4 times for renewals and first time passports with NO ISSUES.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

Agree - send them US size photos but make sure you tell Walgreens (or whoever) not to cut out the faces. Then send the sheet with the photos on like that with your application.

Btw, I tried asking for UK sized passport photos at two Walgreens and they were very different sized (to each other). Someone has to program their machine for it, and they obviously don't all do it properly. Using the US size is safer.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

As Lisa says, Walgreens actually have a menu option for British Passports. I've had mine done there and had no problems
Old Aug 29th 2011, 6:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ummm...don't bother.

US photo size is fine if you're renewing in the US.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute

I had mine done at CVS and had no problems (well, not with the photos, anyway). I just asked for passport photos - didn't specify special size or anything.

Last edited by BellaE; Aug 29th 2011 at 8:02 pm. Reason: trying to make sense
Old Aug 29th 2011, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

seb_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Ummm...don't bother.

US photo size is fine if you're renewing in the US.
Is this official? I ask because the official UK in USA site says the pictures should meet IPS guidelines, which are quite unambiguous about the pictures' need to be 45x35mm.
Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Is this official? I ask because the official UK in USA site says the pictures should meet IPS guidelines, which are quite unambiguous about the pictures' need to be 45x35mm.
Yes.

I pulled the information right from my anus to mess with your head.

If you'd searched the site, you'd find loads of threads from Dean, the British Consul, who has gone over this, stating that if you are applying for a passport in the US, they will accept US sized passports and cut them down to size themselves, you don't and you don't need UK photo's, unless you're getting the passport in the UK.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 2:20 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

yes and if you had clicked on the link you would have seen
be 45 millimetres high x 35 millimetres wide - this is the standard size when you have a passport photo taken in a photo booth or studio (you should not trim a larger photograph to meet this condition)
Old Sep 1st 2011, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

yaychemistry is an unknown quantity at this point

I just received my UK passport and I had sent in photos I got from the local AAA office. They were standard US-sized. I didn't tell them it was for a UK passport.

So yes, US-sized photos work.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

stones is an unknown quantity at this point

My only trouble is finding a place that will take a picture against a light cream or gray background which are the uk requirements. Did everyone else that used a regular US passport sized photo also just have it against a white background?
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

I just used the background they pulled down from a roll where they had their camera set up. It might have been off-white, but it was certainly almost white, and there were no problems.

If you're renewing in DC I think they actually say you can use white... have a look at the small print... but I might be remembering that wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.