Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Ring on U.S phone?

UK Ring on U.S phone?

Old Oct 18th 2004, 5:57 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Ring on U.S phone?

RING RING...................RING RING...................RING RING................

I have heard a UK ring eminating from closed office doors a number of times and I know it's not coming from a mobile phone. So how do you get this ring on a land line? Anyone done it? Would be an intresting novelty.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 6:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Ring on U.S phone?

Originally Posted by tony_2003
RING RING...................RING RING...................RING RING................

I have heard a UK ring eminating from closed office doors a number of times and I know it's not coming from a mobile phone. So how do you get this ring on a land line? Anyone done it? Would be an intresting novelty.
We have that as our "distinctive ring" (there are 4 standard choices). DR allows us to have one dial tone with 2 phone numbers attached to it. The 2nd number is for our fax line. The fax machine is programmed to recognize that particular DR.
Funny, I never thought about it being a UK ring tone until you said it here. I guess I will now forever hear it that way!
Old Oct 18th 2004, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

PBC_1966 will become famous soon enoughPBC_1966 will become famous soon enough

Being pedantic, if you listen to the timing carefully you'll probably find it's not quite a British ring. Standard U.K. ring is 0.4 sec. on, 0.2 off, 0.4 on, then a 2-second interval before it repeats. The double-ring in the U.S. generally has a longer interval.

You can also find variant rings on a PBX (Private Branch eXchange) system. If the office in question is on a PBX, then it could have been programmed to give a normal ring on internal calls and a double-ring on calls originating from outside the building, or vice versa.

Double-rings have actually been around in the U.S. a long time, as they were common on the old party lines in the past. Some rural areas could have as many as ten parties on a line, with distinctive ringing codes for each house (i.e. single long ring, two short rings, three short, long-short, short-long, etc.)

By the way, in the very early days of automatic switching British phones also used a single ring. The double ring was adopted as standard after studies showed that people found it sounded more urgent and tended to answer more quickly.

Last edited by PBC_1966; Oct 18th 2004 at 6:23 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 6:49 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PBC_1966
Being pedantic, if you listen to the timing carefully you'll probably find it's not quite a British ring. Standard U.K. ring is 0.4 sec. on, 0.2 off, 0.4 on, then a 2-second interval before it repeats. The double-ring in the U.S. generally has a longer interval.<snip>
I bet you are the life and soul of every party
Old Oct 18th 2004, 7:11 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 18th 2004, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

PBC_1966 will become famous soon enoughPBC_1966 will become famous soon enough

Put it down to being an occupational hazard! I used to work for the phone company and freely admit to being a grade-A, card-carrying nutty geek type when it comes to telephone equipment.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PBC_1966
Being pedantic, if you listen to the timing carefully you'll probably find it's not quite a British ring. Standard U.K. ring is 0.4 sec. on, 0.2 off, 0.4 on, then a 2-second interval before it repeats. The double-ring in the U.S. generally has a longer interval.

You can also find variant rings on a PBX (Private Branch eXchange) system. If the office in question is on a PBX, then it could have been programmed to give a normal ring on internal calls and a double-ring on calls originating from outside the building, or vice versa.

Double-rings have actually been around in the U.S. a long time, as they were common on the old party lines in the past. Some rural areas could have as many as ten parties on a line, with distinctive ringing codes for each house (i.e. single long ring, two short rings, three short, long-short, short-long, etc.)

By the way, in the very early days of automatic switching British phones also used a single ring. The double ring was adopted as standard after studies showed that people found it sounded more urgent and tended to answer more quickly.
Is it worse the fact that i found that interesting?

:scared:
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 1:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony_2003

The ring is generated in the exchange of that the phone you are calling is connected to, which doesn't explain why an American phone has a British ring pattern, but whatever the reason it is being generated locally in the US. My guess would be that the internal company switchboard is generating it.