Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK rental income. Is it taxed?

UK rental income. Is it taxed?

Old Jan 4th 2017, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Andrew_365 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK rental income. Is it taxed?

Originally Posted by nun
You can be a US tax resident without being a US permanent resident. What visa do you have?
L1B

I pay taxes here, I am just not sure if I should disclose this income 1. becuase I disclose in the UK 2. it is below thresholds.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 5:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew_365
L1B

I pay taxes here, I am just not sure if I should disclose this income 1. becuase I disclose in the UK 2. it is below thresholds.
After the first (partial) year, the IRS deems you to be a "resident alien", so you must report your gross rental income outside the US, on your US tax return, and then deductible allowable expenses including mortgage interest, repairs and maintenance, management fees, insurance premiums, property taxes (if any) and depreciation. Depreciation is mandatory, and is calculated as 1/40th of the value of the building each year, and 20% of the purchase price of appliances each year for five years.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 4th 2017 at 5:38 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget you'll be filing an FBAR each year reporting the UK bank account.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 6:17 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

also when you do declare - the uk mortgage interest can be used to offset some of your tax liability
Old Jan 4th 2017, 6:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
also when you do declare - the uk mortgage interest can be used to offset some of your tax liability.

Your mortgage interest will reduce your taxable income, leading to a lower tax liability.

In practice the other deductions allowed by the IRS for tax on rental income will likely reduce your taxable rental income down to a very low figure, or even create a tax loss, which you might be able, at least in part, to set against your earned income.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 4th 2017 at 6:44 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 11:59 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew_365
L1B

You must realize that you are liable to tax in both the UK and the US if you are a US tax resident with UK sourced rental income. If your UK sourced net income is below your UK personal allowance then there will be no UK tax to pay, however you must also calculate the net income using IRS rules and enter that on you 1040 so it can be taxed by the US.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Rental income is excluded from the double taxation treaty.

On going tax filing is doable , the UK tax software is more expensive than the US software, around £99 ish. They don't allow non resident to file using HMRC website
Are you sure it is excluded? I just submitted my return using TaxCalc software and I had to declare that my UK rental income was on the basis of double taxation. I live in Hungary. The TaxCalc software was only about £30 but I would not recommend it as it was not easy to use.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

H Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

Our UK rental income doesn't get taxed in the UK as it falls under the allowance.
However we end up getting taxed on it in the US which wipes out any 'profit' we make on it.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by H Bomb
Our UK rental income doesn't get taxed in the UK as it falls under the allowance.
However we end up getting taxed on it in the US which wipes out any 'profit' we make on it.
You have taxable profits after deducting mortgage interest, insurance, repairs and maintenance, management fees, and depreciation on the building (2.5%) and appliances (20%)?
Old Jan 12th 2017, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

H Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You have taxable profits after deducting mortgage interest, insurance, repairs and maintenance, management fees, and depreciation on the building (2.5%) and appliances (20%)?
That's how you do the tax.

We get a few hundred more in rent (after management fees) versus our mortgage payment so that is actual profit/money in the bank at the end of the month - however that is pretty much the same as what we end up having to pay as tax.

At the end of the day it is costing us nothing (at the moment) and tenants are slowly paying off our mortgage as house prices (hopefully) go up so cannot complain.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 4:55 pm

We get a few hundred more in rent (after management fees) versus our mortgage payment so that is actual profit/money in the bank at the end of the month - however that is pretty much the same as what we end up having to pay as tax.

At the end of the day it is costing us nothing (at the moment) and tenants are slowly paying off our mortgage as house prices (hopefully) go up so cannot complain.
So you're talking about cash flow, not profit, right?
Old Jan 12th 2017, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

But you are also potentially paying US tax on the foreign currency gain recognised on the repayment of the mortgage debt, especially post June 2016.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

We were in the same situation when we let our UK house during our 2 year stint in the US. I think the first year was fine as we had tax credits carried over, but 2nd year we were taxed around $4k, which would have been on-going if we had remained in the US. The "profit" that we were taxed on wasn't money that we could spend at will, but used to meet the mortgage payments.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by HartleyHare
We were in the same situation when we let our UK house during our 2 year stint in the US. I think the first year was fine as we had tax credits carried over, but 2nd year we were taxed around $4k, .....
That seems like a lot of tax unless you had very little mortgage interest (small mortgage or a very low interest rate), and/or had a remarkably high rent on a low value property (building) ..... Or you weren't deducting depreciation.

If you can't show a tax loss on rental property, you need a better tax accountant!
Old Jan 12th 2017, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I looked this up today and the threshold is £2500, above which you have to register as a non resident landlord.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.