Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK qualifications/credential verification

UK qualifications/credential verification

Old Sep 24th 2009, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK qualifications/credential verification

Originally Posted by princessconsuela
...they didn't bother me with the minutiae
It's the "minutiae" that makes the difference between an accredited evaluation and a worthless piece of paper. Did you sign a release authorizing them to access your school records?

And my masters degree is equivalent to a US masters degree so yes they did you an accurate job.
I'm willing to bet that your UK Master's degree is not equivalent to a US Master's degree... which generally requires 36 credit hours (12 full courses) beyond a 4-year Bachelor's degree.

Hey, if it worked for you and whoever else needed that information... great - but don't confuse that with reality. It just ain't so!

Ian
Old Sep 28th 2009, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

brittinfl is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: UK qualifications/credential verification

My husband attended The Cornwall College for Art and Design from 1976 - 1980 and received a BA. he has lost the diploma itself and we have no way of proving it was ever awarded, can someone point us in the right direction. We need to know where such information is archived or who the Examining Board was and where it would be located. The Cornwall College in Camborne no longer exists, the current University Falmouth, doesn't have records that go back to 1980. My husband is trying to enroll at Florida State University to complete a MA in Architecture and we need something to prove his qualifications.
We have contacted the current Cornwall College, University Falmouth, edexcel and so far no luck.
Old Sep 28th 2009, 7:09 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I am having a similar problem, the Council for National Academic Awards used to give degrees and diplomas to non university educational bodies, they were wound up and the Open University now holds their records.

Unfortunately they dont hold transcripts. I have my certificate but no transcripts, the OU refers you back to the college for transcripts.

They can however provide a verification document.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council...cademic_Awards

http://www.open.ac.uk/validate/p3.shtml
Old Mar 17th 2010, 1:10 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chartreuse
It may well be that all your courses carried over. I've just received the welcome pack for my MSc and it says that 180 UK credits equates to only 60 ECTS credits (rather than 90 as my earlier research suggested) - which at 2:1 would equal 30 US credit hours.
Unless they only count taught modules and not the dissertation?
Time to bump this old thread with a bit of new info, for the benefit of the folks who find it in their search results in the future.

I just got a letter with my first semester results (Distinction - yay!), which said I earned 30 UK credits, equivalent to 15 ECTS credits. So, it is clear that the 120 credits for the taught element of the course will give me 60 ECTS credits = 30 US credit hours.

So, it all comes down to how the dissertation is treated, it would appear.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

explorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to allexplorerman is a name known to all

I've just applied to go to a local college to get an Associates Degree so I can do a bit of a career change. The admin rep asked if I had any transcripts of UK qualifications so that I could apply them to this course and skip some of the basic stuff on the course. The only things I had in the UK were my GCSE results, my failed A levels, a ND (National Diploma) and a HND where I didn't complete the final module to finish the course.
Is it even worth trying to track all that stuff down and get it converted? The rep did say that depending on what would cross over I could save quite a few credits and thus quite a bit of money on the cost of the course.
Thanks for any info!

Roy
Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Time to bump this old thread with a bit of new info, for the benefit of the folks who find it in their search results in the future.

I just got a letter with my first semester results (Distinction - yay!), which said I earned 30 UK credits, equivalent to 15 ECTS credits. So, it is clear that the 120 credits for the taught element of the course will give me 60 ECTS credits = 30 US credit hours.

So, it all comes down to how the dissertation is treated, it would appear.
Great, well done with the first part of it..!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It's the "minutiae" that makes the difference between an accredited evaluation and a worthless piece of paper. Did you sign a release authorizing them to access your school records?

I'm willing to bet that your UK Master's degree is not equivalent to a US Master's degree... which generally requires 36 credit hours (12 full courses) beyond a 4-year Bachelor's degree.

Hey, if it worked for you and whoever else needed that information... great - but don't confuse that with reality. It just ain't so!

Ian
I have just had my UK Masters converted by WES. And they say....my UK Masters = US Masters. And being as WES is who the US Govt uses to evaluate foreign degrees for employment purposes, that will do for me. Regarding credit hours, etc....I care not.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 7:45 am
Just Joined

tessiej is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, i got my credentials evaluated in may last year, i have a 3 year BA hons degree and this showed up as equivalent to a US Bachelors degree.