UK Pensions

Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:04 pm
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Pensions

We started a stakeholder pension in the UK for each of our daughters a couple of years ago. We are now in the USA, loving it with no intentions of returning to the UK. We are in the process of obtaining our Green Cards and then probably our citizenship in 5 or 6 years time.

How will this affect pensions. Are you able to draw a UK pension if you are a US citizen. In which case if it has no affect would we be wise to continue to pay into this account or should we cease payments?????

Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

By the way I am quite new to this site but have found it addictive. I love reading everyones comments, good and bad and have had a good laugh at some of them.

I am sure this has probably been talk about previously but as there are thousands of threads I thought this would be the quickest way
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Pensions

there's a few threads around with some info you might find if you search - do an advanced search and search for the US forum...

but pensions, you'll be able to draw it from the US, but who knows what the exchange rates will be like in the future and the like...and is it worth contributing, depends on how you think the pensions will be like in the future...
Old Aug 11th 2006, 9:39 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a start:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=Pensions
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Kestrelbms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sambuc
We started a stakeholder pension in the UK for each of our daughters a couple of years ago. We are now in the USA, loving it with no intentions of returning to the UK. We are in the process of obtaining our Green Cards and then probably our citizenship in 5 or 6 years time.

How will this affect pensions. Are you able to draw a UK pension if you are a US citizen. In which case if it has no affect would we be wise to continue to pay into this account or should we cease payments?????

Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

By the way I am quite new to this site but have found it addictive. I love reading everyones comments, good and bad and have had a good laugh at some of them.

I am sure this has probably been talk about previously but as there are thousands of threads I thought this would be the quickest way
The GC won't affect ur UK pensions. Stakeholder pensions are great value. Tho' you can't contribute to both a UK and a US (401(k) pension. Once in the US and you stop paying into a UK pension, you can't start again. You can draw your UK pension and still be entitled to ur UK tax allowances to offset the tax - or elect to have US tax deducted. You won't be taxed twice