Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Uk pension and USA social security benefits what am I eligible for?

Wikiposts

Uk pension and USA social security benefits what am I eligible for?

Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk pension and USA social security benefits what am I eligible for?

Originally Posted by miami078
If you had paid five years' UK insurance and 10 years' US insurance, we would work out how much UK State Pension you would have got if you had been paying UK insurance for 15 years. But because you have only actually been paying UK insurance for five years, we would pay you one-third (five-fifteenths) of that UK State Pension.

Do they mean that the US governemnt would then give you the ten years worth as it doesnt seem fair to pay ten years in the USA and although yes its taken into account with regards to the US pension you are still not receiving full payment OR are the fact the ten years in the USA is being used i nthe UK to allow you to get any sort of pension means you have to forgo full payment?
The ten years in the US are being used to allow you to qualify for a UK pension. You would also get US SS based on your ten years of contributions there, but that pension would be reduced by the US windfall provision.

I am also intrigued if you have missed a few years for either pension (Uk or USA) do you still receive the pension just at a reduced rate?
The US doesn't have a "fixed" pension that you then get all or a percentage of. With a few wrinkles, your US SS will be based solely on your contribution record of SS payments over your lifetime. Contributions are a fixed percentage of your income up to a threshold. So your eventual SS will depend on both the number of years you contribute, and your earned income in those years.

I am very new to thinking re pensions etc and some people are telling me that I am stupid to even think about continuing to pay voluntary contributions whilst in the USA as the UK pension may not even exist in say 3- years time. What does everybody think? as far as I am aware the US pension is equally as dubious infact any pension is a risk? Can any body advise? At the moment I am swaying towards paying class 3 voluntary national contributions whilst in the USA if I can afford it (as I wont be working and if I do it will be very low wages as I intend to return to study.) Then I will also pay towards USA pension through SS and hope that after 30 years I will get a little from both countries?
It really depends on individual circumstances. If you think you are going to spend a few years in the US, then return to the UK, I think that tips the balance towards making voluntary NI contributions. I decided not to do this once I got permanent residence - it seemed to me that the UK pension was (relatively) small and I would be better off maximizing my tax-deductible contributions to 401(k) and IRAs over here.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Feb 9th 2010 at 4:39 am.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

miami078 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am hoping that I will stay in the USA however as I will be returning to study and only doing some temp work which wont bring in alot I dont envisage myself making many substational SS contributions for the next few years in the USA which is why I thought it may be best to keep the UK pension as my contributions to the SS wouldnt be that great. Would that make sense?

With regards to a previous post and the question about ad hoc teaching I meant private tutoring e.g help with audition prep home tutoring, private singing lessons rather than teaching in a school etc which would require state qualification kinde of like craigs list adverts for maths prep tutoring. I will be in a difficult situation when I arrive in the USA in the sense that I will be hopefully private teaching, acting, voice over work, admin temping and also returning to uni which is why I am finding it hard with regards to finances and preparing for the future.

Again I have to look into this. It is interesting however that you dont have a similar registration for self employment in the USA as in the UK (where you have to regsiters within the first 3 months of working) as I am now wondering how I am expected to provide to the UK pensions people that I intend to work self employed once in the USA particulalry with no contracts set up (as acting doesnt work like other businesses). I guess I can only prove it retrospecively using self employed tax returns however that is under the premise I actually get work in the first year, if I dont I wonder if I am still classed as self employed i/e if I have been actively seeking self employed work but no contract can I still pay class 2.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Would it make any difference to your UK contributions if they knew you were going to be a full time student in the US?

I'm not sure how much (legal) work you can do in the US as a student? Are you coming on a student Visa?

My own personal choice would be to keep the UK contributions going as long as possible, it doesn't sound like you will be doing any 'work' in the US that would pay into the SS system here anyway?
Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

When you are self-employed, there is generally a contract between you and your customer. If your customer is another business, the way it's supposed it work is that they will send you what is called a 1099 that shows what they paid you for that particular year. This is then what you can show as income on your tax return. However, if you plan on working with private individuals, there is almost never going to be anything like that given to you. Since I'm not self-employed I'm not sure the best way for you to track that type of income. It would be best to possibly consult with a CPA (certified personal accountant) to understand the best way for you to go about this. I think most people that do tuturing do it as a side job and I would doubt they actually claim this income on a tax return as it's probably/mostly a cash-based business. But still, look into the ins-and-outs of this with an accoutant.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:52 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
When you are self-employed, there is generally a contract between you and your customer. If your customer is another business, the way it's supposed it work is that they will send you what is called a 1099 that shows what they paid you for that particular year. This is then what you can show as income on your tax return. However, if you plan on working with private individuals, there is almost never going to be anything like that given to you. Since I'm not self-employed I'm not sure the best way for you to track that type of income. It would be best to possibly consult with a CPA (certified personal accountant) to understand the best way for you to go about this. I think most people that do tuturing do it as a side job and I would doubt they actually claim this income on a tax return as it's probably/mostly a cash-based business. But still, look into the ins-and-outs of this with an accoutant.
Any client who pays you +$600 (think that's still the figure) in a year is supposed to 1099 you. This is to keep people from NOT reporting income to the IRS.

When you complete your US income tax return (and miami078, you have no idea what's coming.. it will blow your mind), you tot up all your income, deduct your legitimate expenses, and pay your tax + your Social Security contributions.
Each year, Social Security will send you a statement of your declared SS-qualifying wages. You won't have anything in advance (from the US government) to show that you are 'self employed'. I think you'll have to get over a lot of the 'nationalized' notions of government with US vs UK too; we just don't 'register' much on a national scale here.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

miami078 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all

again thanks for this information this forum is highly invaluable for things like this. Its very interesting regarding not registering as self employed. i guess I will just continue to look for self employed work during the year and at the end submit a tax return if i havent earned anything that year as self employed I dont see how the UK pension office can Can penalise me i/e they surely can’t turn around and say I should have been paying class 2, as its not my fault I haven’t found contracts. I remember having some years as self employed in the UK where I earned quite a lot but many years in between where I didn’t earn anything. I guess the biggest difference is I was under the umbrella of Self employed at the beginning of the year regarding of earnings.

Ahh the dreaded tax return form….yes I have heard stories and I do believe I really do have something to look forward to lol!!! Luckily my parents in law are dab hands at it so I think I may be asking for their help regarding this to begin with, but I believe I have a lot more to learn with regards to that as I believe you can fill separate or joint tax returns (you and your husband) so I guess that’s my next big venture!

Just to answer an earlier post I will be coming in the USA on an immigrant visa (Permanent resident) I put my studies on hold in the UK when I got married and I hope to return to uni sometime in the future but for the moment I need to work to find the fees to do so, so although I will be paying SS at some point and through various ongoing temp jobs or self employed work I don’t envisage it as being the same amount of NI I paid in steady permanent jobs back here in the UK which is why it may be best for me to continue to pay into the UK pension.

Thank you all so much for you help. I am driving my husband mad with these questions but as immigrating is scary enough I thinks its important to at least research what you can so you don’t move over to another country blind and although yes these things can be annoying I agree with some people on the forum that it’s a decision we made to immigrate and we have to accept these strange things such as tax return forms!!

Now my next mission…getting private but cheap healthcare until a job with benefits comes along wish me luck!!

Best wishes

Miamia