Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK pension lump sum and taxation

UK pension lump sum and taxation

Old May 1st 2018, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

UKGIRL55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK pension lump sum and taxation

I am going to take my UK pension as a lump sum, the Pru has said they will pay into my USA account. Anyone know how I can find out what percent the UK will take in tax, I haven't worked in the UK since 1992, and how I can reclaim this tax because of the double taxation treaty. I know the first 25% is tax free.
Old May 1st 2018, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK pension lump sum and taxation

This may be a bad idea - I would be more worried about how much the US are going to take in tax, unless you aren't a US tax resident.
Old May 1st 2018, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

UKGIRL55 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a US tax resident and there is a tax treaty with UK and I will pay tax on 75% of the lump sum in the UK and I should be able to reclaim that because of the Tax Treaty with the USA. I was just wondering how the UK decide the % when I haven't worked in UK since 1992
Old May 1st 2018, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Under which treaty article are you reclaiming UK tax on a complete LSD?
Old May 2nd 2018, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

frenchsaracen is an unknown quantity at this point

HMRC will withhold tax at the basic marginal rate ie after the 25% pension commencement lump sum which is not UK tax liable the remaining 75% will be taxed at 20%. This may be reclaimed however the 75% will be liable for US tax at the prevailing marginal rate as it is classed as income.
Old May 2nd 2018, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

ARH12345 is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably best seeking financial advice regarding this and building a retirement strategy. It cost dearly if you get this wrong.
Old May 2nd 2018, 4:43 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frenchsaracen
HMRC will withhold tax at the basic marginal rate ie after the 25% pension commencement lump sum which is not UK tax liable the remaining 75% will be taxed at 20%. This may be reclaimed however the 75% will be liable for US tax at the prevailing marginal rate as it is classed as income.
How do you know what rate it will be taxed at without knowing the total amount. If large enough some of it could be taxed at 40%. Also if you think the US will class 75% of it as income why will the other 25% not be so classed?

Professional advice is need before the OP does anything.
Old May 2nd 2018, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

We took advice (albeit from H&R Block) when my wife got a small pension from the NHS a couple of years back. The local office contacted their support team and advised the lump sum was taxable here. The IRS snaffled about a third of it! I had two small pensions mature last year and chose to not take the lump sum for that reason. I just opted for a larger monthly amount. There have been quite a few threads on the subject here. I filled a form with the IRS (sorry, don't remember the number) that they pass on to HMRC so that we pay zero tax in the UK on our pensions. We just declare them on our tax returns here.
Old May 2nd 2018, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_I
We took advice (albeit from H&R Block) when my wife got a small pension from the NHS a couple of years back. The local office contacted their support team and advised the lump sum was taxable here. The IRS snaffled about a third of it! I had two small pensions mature last year and chose to not take the lump sum for that reason. I just opted for a larger monthly amount. There have been quite a few threads on the subject here. I filled a form with the IRS (sorry, don't remember the number) that they pass on to HMRC so that we pay zero tax in the UK on our pensions. We just declare them on our tax returns here.
I did the same while collecting my UK pension and living in the USA. Form 2002 is the one to fill in and send to the IRS to have HMRC refrain from taking any taxes.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ndividual-2002
Old May 2nd 2018, 8:16 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The local office contacted their support team and advised the lump sum was taxable here.
Which was why I asked why the person who posted that 75% of it was taxable here thought that. If the recipient isn't a US citizen but lives here I believe the lump sum isn't taxable, according to an HMRC fact sheet. If they are a US citizen it is.

That is according to a HMRC fact sheet, the IRS might well say it is all taxable. Others on BE say I have misinterpreted the fact sheet.

Last edited by lansbury; May 2nd 2018 at 8:18 pm.
Old May 3rd 2018, 12:12 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
How do you know what rate it will be taxed at without knowing the total amount. If large enough some of it could be taxed at 40%. Also if you think the US will class 75% of it as income why will the other 25% not be so classed?

Professional advice is need before the OP does anything.
I've just withdrawn a UK pension. The tax position is that 25% is UK tax free, as to the rest, the personal allowance kicks in, then the rest will be taxed in the appropriate bandwidth, so part could indeed go to 40%. The pension company is - I believe - obliged to withhold tax at the time of paying out, and it is up to the recipient to sort out any discrepancies with HMRC.

I 'phoned HMRC to check the position and had an extremely useful conversation where I was told that where double taxation agreements were in place then there should not be any UK tax liable. However, this can vary from country to country... I was told to complete a self assessment for the tax year in question, using form SA100. I was also told to also see SA102, SA109 and SA101 - if there's any other UK based income involved.

It may be possible - depending on the company - to take the pension in multiple chunks over a few years, in a way as to eliminate/reduce the tax liability. But the 25% tax-free is a one off, so after that personal allowance applies.
Old May 3rd 2018, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Steve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_I has a reputation beyond repute

If the recipient isn't a US citizen but lives here I believe the lump sum isn't taxable, according to an HMRC fact sheet. If they are a US citizen it is.
I wasn't aware the USC thing made any difference when it came to tax. I guess you learn something every day! Everything I've read was about whether you were resident in the US for tax purposes. In our case, my wife is a USC anyway, so they were going to tax it whichever way. I just decided to play it safe and take the bigger pension amount.
Old May 3rd 2018, 4:36 pm

I wasn't aware the USC thing made any difference when it came to tax. I guess you learn something every day! Everything I've read was about whether you were resident in the US for tax purposes. In our case, my wife is a USC anyway, so they were going to tax it whichever way. I just decided to play it safe and take the bigger pension amount.
Have a read of this https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...elief/dt19876a Bottom of the page under the heading Lump Sums.
Old May 3rd 2018, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Have a read of this https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...elief/dt19876a Bottom of the page under the heading Lump Sums.
I see that. Her lump sum was taxable anyway, even according to that document. H&R Block showed me something from an IRS publication which said it was taxable. I might see if I still have it. Has anyone ever tested the lump sum thing as a UKC, resident in the US? It's a moot point for me now, as I'm likely to be a USC before my next two pensions mature. Interesting though!
Old May 3rd 2018, 6:29 pm

I see that. Her lump sum was taxable anyway, even according to that document. H&R Block showed me something from an IRS publication which said it was taxable. I might see if I still have it. Has anyone ever tested the lump sum thing as a UKC, resident in the US? It's a moot point for me now, as I'm likely to be a USC before my next two pensions mature. Interesting though!
There is a letter, a copy of which was posted on the Internet, from the IRS which says the lump sum was taxable. This was some years ago, around 2008 if memory serves correctly. If you have something later than that it would be good to see.

I don't know of anyone on BE who has tried the stance put forward in the HMRC manual. Until someone does it is all just our opinion of what we think various documents mean. In other words no-one really knows. If someone has tried I wish they would post a report of the outcome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.