Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK passport renewal in USA - does beard = countersignature?

UK passport renewal in USA - does beard = countersignature?

Old May 24th 2013, 8:18 am
Just Joined

limeybrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK passport renewal in USA - does beard = countersignature?

Hi from a periodic lurker who has finally found need to ask for knowledge from those who may have already crossed this particular bridge...

My UK passport has expired, so I'm about to go through the overseas renewal process & I find myself wondering if the addition of a beard since my last passport photos were done, equals a significant enough change of physical features to require countersignatures?

I'd prefer not to have another hurdle to jump through, or risk a rejection of the renewal (and having to repay the hefty fee).

Thanks in advance for any insight folks may have on this & of any other current pitfalls to watch out for? (Just saw & noted the comment in the renewal times thread about letting my credit card issuing bank know about the charge from "UNITED KINGDOM GOVERNMENT ACCOUNT" - never had to worry about that last time I went through a renewal.)
Old May 24th 2013, 2:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK passport renewal in USA - does beard = countersignature?

If you have any doubt, why not just get the countersignature? I usually get my pics signed even though the only changes have been due to, ahem, getting older -- but better safe than sorry. Any professional can sign for you; I use my vet.
Old May 24th 2013, 6:31 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't on my application last year.
Old May 24th 2013, 6:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, if in doubt, ask the manager at your local bank, kids teacher, whoever, to just sign it.

But now you mention the beard, how unruly is it?
Old May 24th 2013, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by limeybrit
Hi from a periodic lurker who has finally found need to ask for knowledge from those who may have already crossed this particular bridge...

My UK passport has expired, so I'm about to go through the overseas renewal process & I find myself wondering if the addition of a beard since my last passport photos were done, equals a significant enough change of physical features to require countersignatures?

I'd prefer not to have another hurdle to jump through, or risk a rejection of the renewal (and having to repay the hefty fee).

Thanks in advance for any insight folks may have on this & of any other current pitfalls to watch out for? (Just saw & noted the comment in the renewal times thread about letting my credit card issuing bank know about the charge from "UNITED KINGDOM GOVERNMENT ACCOUNT" - never had to worry about that last time I went through a renewal.)
Couldn't you just shave the beard off?
Old May 26th 2013, 6:32 am
Just Joined

limeybrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
Didn't on my application last year.
Ok, that's useful to know.

@Bob & @Nutmegger

That would be a logical path - it's just a pain to find suitable candidates right now. For example, I currently bank on-line (so have never seen my bank manager). No kids or pets, so no teacher/vet etc. As for the beard itself - it's fairly tidy, not one of those epic ones that small creatures can nest in!

Originally Posted by markwm
Couldn't you just shave the beard off?
Yup, but you do get rather attached to the things.
Old May 27th 2013, 12:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by limeybrit
... As for the beard itself - it's fairly tidy, not one of those epic ones that small creatures can nest in!
Well that's rather disappointing

Try someone in the town hall that's a notary perhaps?
Old May 31st 2013, 10:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Simple answer: Would a stranger recognise you were the same person when comparing your old passport photo with your new one?

Yes: No worries.
No: Get it countersigned.
Not sure: Get it countersigned.