Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Old Apr 9th 2014, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

onslow286 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Just got off the phone with DHL. I have not received a text or e-mail from them so I called and asked if they could look up by name and address to see if anything had been sent. Low and behold!! It left London today and will be delivered by end of day tomorrow
Old Apr 9th 2014, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

rosemarybrown is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by onslow286
Just got off the phone with DHL. I have not received a text or e-mail from them so I called and asked if they could look up by name and address to see if anything had been sent. Low and behold!! It left London today and will be delivered by end of day tomorrow
Fantastic news!!!
Old Apr 10th 2014, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Old Apr 10th 2014, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Application received on February 26th
I was told today that my renewal was 3/4 of the way through the process but they might hold on it longer for the children's first passports. Our COuntersignatory has not been contacted. I was told they are bombarded right now and when I expressed concern about delivery while we were out of state for Easter was told ' I wouldn't worry I doubt they will be ready then'
Old Apr 10th 2014, 10:28 am
Just Joined

onslow286 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rosemarybrown
Application received on February 26th
I was told today that my renewal was 3/4 of the way through the process but they might hold on it longer for the children's first passports. Our COuntersignatory has not been contacted. I was told they are bombarded right now and when I expressed concern about delivery while we were out of state for Easter was told ' I wouldn't worry I doubt they will be ready then'
When you get your Waybill # from DHL you can go online and have it redirected for free. You can have it delivered where you are or to a neighbors or relative. You can also put a note on your door with the Waybill # and your signature and they will leave it though I wouldn't recommend that if you are away for awhile.

One thing I learned through this whole process is that the people that answer the phones in the passport office only have limited information to hand. You have to speak to someone in the 'PROGRESS' Dept. to get any detailed information.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

olive1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

standard adult renewal
sent passport Feb 21st USPS 'express' hahaha
according to USPS documents arrived in Durham on march 4th according to the gov website they received documents on march 10th.
Received new passport and old passport on April 10th. Website status read 'dispatched' on april 9th.
I dont have a mobile phone so didn't get any texts or emails from DHL to say the passport was being delivered they just showed up... better late than never.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 2:37 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

FYI...
Passport renewal sent DHL March 7th, 2014
Received in Durham March 10th, 2014
Status changed to "Being Processed" March 14th, 2014
Status changed to " Declaration Form Received" March 20th, 2014
Status changed to " Dispatched" April 7th 2014
SMS message informed me of airbill number April 9th, 2014
DHL delivered new passport April 10th, 2014
DHL delivered old passport April 11th, 2014

I had a hard time getting the photos in the correct size up here in Maine, but Walgrens played around with it and did come up with pictures that were within the measurements although they did appear to be trimmed which was against instructions. The declaration form stated that it had to be printed actual size but as I was already spending close to $245 for a bloody passport I didn't want to go and spend $11 on a whole ream of A4 just to print the form. Printing "to fit" and signing within the box worked just fine and you will see your signature on the photo page now instead of having to sign it later.

I was happy to note that my passport was printed on April 6th, a Sunday, which amazed me but as it is also my birthday I doubt I will forget issue/expiration for the next 10 years.
Old Apr 12th 2014, 2:47 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to add....make sure that the black corner marks on the declaration form print out completely. If your printer spits out a blank page after it then it probably didn't work. Adjust the margin settings or whatever you have to do to make sure that the markings are a proper "L" shape at each corner. Your signature in the box will appear on the photo page and I can now understand why they need it to be done correctly.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Application accepted on February 26th, money taken the same day.
Just got an email today ( 6 weeks later) that they needed additional documents for my married name change In addition to marriage certificate.

Was told last week that they may hold onto my application for my children's first passport applications that were sent the same time.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Ninzle is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was last in the UK I went to get my passport renewed using the one day service in London. Went there and waited for several hours to then be told that my passport was damaged and so they could not renew it.

Did not have a week to send off to get a damaged passport as I needed to head back to the states. There is a watermark on one of the pages. I returned to the states on my damaged passport, no problems.

About to head back to the UK to get married and instead of trying to risk it with my damaged passport I sent it to Durham. I was informed 4 weeks and have just been told that it will take 6+ weeks which is too late for me.

I am getting an emergency travel document and plan to reapply when I am the UK. I asked about cancelling my application using the 0300 number as I need my old passport for the application + it has my L1A visa in it have been told that this needs to be done in writing and will take around 18 days. Which is too late.

Have been told that someone will call me in 72 hours, but because of Easter this will be on Tuesday. They will be able to advise me of the best situation. Last time they did not call back. I phoned again and told an email will be sent and to wait another 72 hours, no phonecall again.

Does anyone have any numbers for the Durham office? Or any advice?

Such a stressful nightmare.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

mmwsn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Has anyone sent US-sized 2x2 passport photos to Durham with their passport application recently? I saw in other threads that sending 2x2 photos was acceptable in the past through the DC embassy.

I just sent my renewal application in the mail yesterday (via USPS Express) with US-sized passport photos from CVS (because I didn't want to trim them down and risk messing it up). My face in the picture seemed to fit all the guidelines; it's just that the total photo size is wider with more background. Now I'm a little concerned about sending the wrong size. I also sent in my active US passport with the application so I don't want a delay. Anyone know if passport applications have been rejected in Durham due to the US-sized passport photos?

Thanks.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 8:13 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mmwsn
Hi. Has anyone sent US-sized 2x2 passport photos to Durham with their passport application recently? I saw in other threads that sending 2x2 photos was acceptable in the past through the DC embassy.

I just sent my renewal application in the mail yesterday (via USPS Express) with US-sized passport photos from CVS (because I didn't want to trim them down and risk messing it up). My face in the picture seemed to fit all the guidelines; it's just that the total photo size is wider with more background. Now I'm a little concerned about sending the wrong size. I also sent in my active US passport with the application so I don't want a delay. Anyone know if passport applications have been rejected in Durham due to the US-sized passport photos?

Thanks.

I don't know for certain, but I would imagine there's a very good chance that will throw an error, given the dimensions specified are there for a reason. Why would you send in US size passport photos when the UK passport application clearly states what the dimensions need to be?

Tip #1: my local CVS has the measurements for common passport photos and have always trimmed ours exactly for us as per the guidance issued by the local Consulate.

Tip #2: You don't need to send in your US passport. The British government has no right to it. At best you should enclose a photocopy of the photo ID page.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Ninzle is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't give them anything to be difficult about, that is my advice.

I would also bring with you the exact photo requirements to the photo shop. The shop might think that they know what you need but I had to return back to the shop after double checking. Every consulate is different and there are a lot of countries out there!
Old Apr 17th 2014, 8:30 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ninzle
Don't give them anything to be difficult about, that is my advice.
You agree with me then. Don't send in your second nationality passport. I certainly won't be sending mine in.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 8:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ninzle
When I was last in the UK I went to get my passport renewed using the one day service in London. Went there and waited for several hours to then be told that my passport was damaged and so they could not renew it.

Did not have a week to send off to get a damaged passport as I needed to head back to the states. There is a watermark on one of the pages. I returned to the states on my damaged passport, no problems.

About to head back to the UK to get married and instead of trying to risk it with my damaged passport I sent it to Durham. I was informed 4 weeks and have just been told that it will take 6+ weeks which is too late for me.
I read this with despair.

I have no 'advice' for you on how to resolve this issue (it's completely out of your hands now unfortunately).

Want to know how I would have handled this? I would have ignored their comment about my passport being 'damaged', and traveled back to the US on my 'damaged' passport. Just as you did. I would then have done NOTHING.

When I was ready to travel to the United Kingdom again, I would have traveled with my 'damaged' passport (that the CBP found no issue with it, should probably give you a clue that it's fine), and IF the UKBA officer had any issue with it, well, what are they gonna do? You're a UK citizen. You can't be denied entry. I'd have probably take a copy of my birth certificate to prove my citizenship just in case my British accent didn't give it away.

Now you're in a right mess, and like I said earlier, unfortunately your attempt to stay within the 'rules' has resulted in a total disaster :/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.