Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Old Apr 11th 2013, 7:45 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Uk passport renewal times in the USA

Just as an update ! Today DHL knocked on my door and delivered not only my documents but my PASSPORT as well. I've been so excited I've been doing a happy dance around the house.. lol. So now I can get my ticket

All in all it was a 7 week processing time from when they took the money out of my bank. Gosh, could they have made me any more anxious. But the passport is all nice, shiny and new and looks amazing.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 12:21 am
Lelo

lelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond reputelelo29uk has a reputation beyond repute

Alright! Here is my time frame! This is for a first time passport application.
Sent in: March 1
Money taken out: March 8
Additional documents needed: April 9 (scanned and faxed in that day)
Received original documents back: April 12
Received passport: April 15
So six weeks from sending in and a little over 5 weeks from payment.

Traveling soon! Yayyyyy!!!
Old Apr 17th 2013, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

jmacfadyen is an unknown quantity at this point

Posting time frame for my husband's passport:
Mailed passport application: 4/10 2 day priority USPS
Money taken: 4/17 (I hope! Ditto the above post about calling your bank. I'm currently on hold because the transaction was denied and I received a phone call for a "suspicious charge". Hoping I caught it quick enough the embassy hasn't sent the paperwork back. Charge went through around 10:20 EDT and it's 1:30 EDT now.)

Will fill out the rest when I know more, but I'm wishing I would have called my bank in advance *sighs*. Wish us luck.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

jmacfadyen is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there a number I can call for the passport office to have the transaction go through again?
Old Apr 24th 2013, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

undertaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Passport renewal timeline - old one expired 09/2012 and was sent as a supporting document.

Sent renewal application: 01st April
Received UK Embassy-DC: 02nd April
Fees taken from bank : 10th April
Passport shipped from UK: 22nd April
Passport received NYC : 23rd April
Old passport received : 24th April

*Although it was obviously me in my new passport photo's, I've added a couple of pounds weight in 11 years, so I took the precaution of having my photograph endorsed by someone. I think this is wise, especially if your application is time-sensitive. I used another EU expat who is an academic, so they couldn't use any excuse to delay the issue.

Thanks to everyone who has posted here, I found it very helpful. Good luck to all those currently applying.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 5:33 pm
Account Closed

pooks is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, this thread has been very reassuring whilst I've been waiting for my passport, so here is my experience:

Sent renewal application: 3rd April
Received at UK Embassy-DC: 5th April
Fees taken from bank : 13th April (pending for a few days first)
Received e-mail from DHL: 25th April saying I have a shipment from DC
Received both documents and passport together (two separate envelopes): 26th April

So, it looks like they keep pretty much to a schedule if there are no problems with your application.

I used the form that you can fill in online as it seemed easier (when you answer one question the bits you don't need to answer are automatically greyed out) and didn't bother getting my photos endorsed and it all seemed to go very smoothly.

Had a bit of a panic when checking the details on it as I couldn't find the e-chip, which is very obvious on my husband's passport. So, I rang the number on the accompanying leaflet (very quick response time) and they reassured me that the chip in the new passports is concealed and you can't see or feel it. Phew! Not sure why I have worked myself into such a frenzy over this as it was actually very simple and straightforward but I'm glad I don't have to do it again until 2023!!

Good luck to everyone else .....
Old Apr 29th 2013, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

janine74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Just as an update ! Today DHL knocked on my door and delivered not only my documents but my PASSPORT as well. I've been so excited I've been doing a happy dance around the house.. lol. So now I can get my ticket

All in all it was a 7 week processing time from when they took the money out of my bank. Gosh, could they have made me any more anxious. But the passport is all nice, shiny and new and looks amazing.
i am so happy for you!! i sent you a PM.. i have 8 days till i go home!!!!!!
Old Apr 29th 2013, 4:35 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by janine74
i am so happy for you!! i sent you a PM.. i have 8 days till i go home!!!!!!
Thanks love...yes I received the PM It's hard to believe I've been back here nearly 2 weeks already! Not long to go for YOU now huh? Don't forget our lunch in Manchester.. LOL

If I don't speak to you before...have a great flight and enjoy that wonderful feeling when you touchdown in the UK
Old Apr 30th 2013, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

hoyland54 is on a distinguished road

Sent renewal: 29th March
Received by embassy: 2nd April
Credit card charged: 10th April
Email asking for copies of two pieces photo ID: 16th April
Photocopies sent: 16th April
Passport arrived: 29th April
Documents and old passport: 30th April

I had an email from DHL on the 29th with tracking information about the documents coming from the embassy and an automated phone call on the 30th. No tracking information or call about the package with the passport.

I'm not sure what the photo ID thing was about. My application was countersigned, just in case, which is maybe the common thread in these requests for photocopies.
Old May 2nd 2013, 11:07 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Renewal application sent: April 5th
Delivered: April 8th
Credit card charged: April 22nd
Passport received: May 1st

Waiting for the old passport.
Old May 2nd 2013, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Route101 is an unknown quantity at this point

First time UK passport applying in US (now resident here) with UK naturalization certificate - do they send back the US passport quickly so you can travel while they process the application?
Old May 2nd 2013, 4:47 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Originally Posted by Route101
First time UK passport applying in US (now resident here) with UK naturalization certificate - do they send back the US passport quickly so you can travel while they process the application?
Not usually...they send the documentation back at the same time as the passport is printed in the UK, so that way you end up getting everything back at the same time. Sorry! So it can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks for a first time application, and you have to expect them to hold onto your documents (including your US passport) for that amount of time as well.
Old May 2nd 2013, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Route101 is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you.
Old May 2nd 2013, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Renewal Application Sent: April 8
Arrived Washington: April 10
Credit Card charged: April 23
New & Old Passport Received via DHL: May 2

1 package came from British Embassy in Washington DC and the other from the UK.

Last edited by SarahG; May 2nd 2013 at 5:57 pm.
Old May 2nd 2013, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

MattySD is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks to everyone for keeping this thread going - it gives me a good indication as to when mine should arrive - so far it's:

Renewal Application Sent: April 18th
Arrived Washington: April 22nd
Credit Card charged: April 26th

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.