Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Originally Posted by Bob
If the passport has expired less than 10 years ago, it'll be a renewal, not treated as a new passport.

1- Only if you don't look similar to the previous pic, any person of standing can sign for it.

3- Whatever name you want to use.

Thanks for the info. I just checked and I just missed the 10 yr mark so I guess it will be treated as a new passport. I look similar but older so I'm guessing I have to get someone to sign.

Last edited by Brigette; Jun 1st 2011 at 4:04 am.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:35 am
Just Joined

gilrebel is an unknown quantity at this point

My CC just got charged on 5/27 and now Careline said it will take another 4 weeks but I am travelling in 2 weeks! Spent about $6K for peak summer tickets to UK!!!

What are my options? I understand Emergency Travel may be issued but seems use for 1 way....what about the return trip? I have a US GC so not sure I can travel alone on that.

How do I get another Travel doc for the return if they hold my 1 way doc?

Any ideas appreciated.

Stressed
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

SarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to beholdSarahC922 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Brigette
Thanks for the info. I just checked and I just missed the 10 yr mark so I guess it will be treated as a new passport. I look similar but older so I'm guessing I have to get someone to sign.
I was going to renew and look very much the same with a non expired passport and they wanted a signer on the photo. I'd say you should, if for no other reason than that it's one reason they won't be sending it back to you .
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
As you will be treated as a first time applicant you should get your pics countersigned.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

debsdin is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent my passport renewal application in on April 1
Credit card charged 5/20

Spoke with Care....today and they have no record of my passport in the system. I have a case # and am anxiously waiting for a call from the DC office...they said up to 72 hours.

My sister gets married in 4 weeks and we have tickets to fly out in 3 weeks - any suggestions?

Last edited by debsdin; Jun 1st 2011 at 3:02 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debsdin
I sent my passport renewal application in on April 1
Credit card charged 5/20

Spoke with Care....today and they have no record of my passport in the system. I have a case # 145-469 and am anxiously waiting for a call from the DC office...they said up to 72 hours.

My sister gets married in 4 weeks and we have tickets to fly out in 3 weeks - any suggestions?
Passports are taking 6 to 8 weeks after payment is taken. You should go back and read some of the more recent posts, especially any from British Consul and get an idea of what the best course of action is for you.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

thanks - I am trying to get through to consul now..can't get past the message services
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:15 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=debsdin;9402570]I sent my passport renewal application in on April 1
Credit card charged 5/20

Wow they really are erratic ... I guess they play lucky dip each morning to see which apps they are going to play with. From all the various posts it seems that there is no rhyme or reasoning to when they start processing.
Good luck with getting anything.. I was told by careline that escalations are not possible. Hope for you, they find and process in time
Old Jun 1st 2011, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

thanks - trying not to have a panic attack this morning
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:36 pm
UKC
Forum Regular

UKC is an unknown quantity at this point

I suspect I know the answer to this question but thought I would ask as I also need to renew my passport soon.

Does the Embassy cancel the cost of an emergency travel document if a passport is not processed within x amount of time?

Anyone tried and succeeded/failed?

P.S Isn't a UK passport valid for travel up to six months after expiry to certain countries including the US - and presumably the UK?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone sent their UK PP to the UK for renewal? Which courier service did you use and how long did the whole process take?
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:50 pm
UKC
Forum Regular

UKC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Anyone sent their UK PP to the UK for renewal? Which courier service did you use and how long did the whole process take?
I'd be interested in that too but don't think it's possible

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...port/DG_174096

Non-UK residents and those temporarily outside the UK

If you do not live in the UK, you can apply in person to renew your passport while visiting the UK.

IPS cannot accept applications from overseas. If you would like to renew your British Passport while outside the UK, you will need to contact your local embassy, high commission or consulate.

Last edited by UKC; Jun 1st 2011 at 4:52 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jun 1st 2011, 4:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by UKC
I'd be interested in that too as I don''t think it's possible

I used to think so too but I know some on here have used that route in the past.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:17 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gilrebel
My CC just got charged on 5/27 and now Careline said it will take another 4 weeks but I am travelling in 2 weeks! Spent about $6K for peak summer tickets to UK!!!

What are my options? I understand Emergency Travel may be issued but seems use for 1 way....what about the return trip? I have a US GC so not sure I can travel alone on that.
The old emergency travel passport was one way to the UK only. The new one is good for 5 destinations, so you can go to the UK and back to the US, providing you don't stop at more then three destinations in between.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:24 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKC
I'd be interested in that too but don't think it's possible

You send it and the form etc to a friend or relative in the UK and have them post it for you. The new passport is sent back to them and they send it to you.

On the passport form, you put their UK address as your own. The problem is if you are in the UK you don't seem able to download a blank form. So I don't know if it is the same as the one we can get online, or if not if it makes a difference. Said friend or relative may have to go into a UK post office and get the form and send it to you first off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.