Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Old May 28th 2011, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

Simosa88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Passport Renewal taking a really long time

Sorry, I meant application arrived on May 2nd in Washington.
Old May 28th 2011, 11:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simosa88
3. Last resort ask for emergency travel documents from the consulate in Vancouver.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it realistic that I can get my passport back in the beginning of July if I try all avenues? If I had known it would take this long I would have flown back to England and got the passport there. I know other people are in worse situations with relatives with health issues so my thoughts go out to them.
Should have gotten an emergency travel doc if you need to travel, but you don't say where you're resident of.

If the money hasn't been charged yet, you might be able to get your application returned to you so you could do the ETD
Old May 28th 2011, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Simosa88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Should have gotten an emergency travel doc if you need to travel, but you don't say where you're resident of.

If the money hasn't been charged yet, you might be able to get your application returned to you so you could do the ETD
I permanently reside in England but am in Canada on a working holiday visa. The problem with the emergency travel document is that there are restrictions for going to the states. Also, at the time of applying there was still almost 3 months to go until I needed to travel so they would not have given me an ETD then.
Old May 30th 2011, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Mystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really nice

Hi Everyone, just to let you all know how long it took us for our renewal of child's passports:

March 19th, sent off
March 22nd, arrived Washington
April 15th, payment taken from credit card
May27th, Received new passports

Karen
Old May 31st 2011, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

trinbrit is just really nicetrinbrit is just really nicetrinbrit is just really nicetrinbrit is just really nicetrinbrit is just really nicetrinbrit is just really nicetrinbrit is just really nicetrinbrit is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mystic Kazza
Hi Everyone, just to let you all know how long it took us for our renewal of child's passports:

March 19th, sent off
March 22nd, arrived Washington
April 15th, payment taken from credit card
May27th, Received new passports

Karen
well it looks like urs took only about 10 wks thats not to bad still its more than the quoted 4 to 6 wks so hopefully im next wk or this week? fingers crossed it appears to be 10 to 12 wks from posting to recieving.
Old May 31st 2011, 3:40 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

O K what a fun way to start a tuesday morning.... sat on hold with careless line for 10 minutes, got an agent who asked me the reason for the call. I explained that my application was running late and I had been advised to call for status. I was informed that my expected return of passport should be about another 2 weeks. I asked if that info was semi reliable and was stonewalled. I was told that I could not get an escalation and that "I should go back to the person who told me that". he then quoted website showing delays to which I retorted that it did not say that when I applied. He also told me that the time does not start until they start processing. I informed him that is not what the website says!!.I was also told that careline was a seperate agency. I was again told that I could NOT get an escalation!!. I told them that it would be nice if all parts of this process were on the same page!! Anyway the gist of this is they were sullen, unhelpful and a rip off at 0.69+vat per minute.( I think the British Govt are using this line to balance the national debt!!!!. Advice to other members ... don't waste your money!!!!

I thank Mr Churm for the info he gave me but I think some irritation back in Scotland has decided he knows better. I guess I am now marked for delay because I dared to challenge differing versions of how this is supposed to work.
Old May 31st 2011, 4:37 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Ps to my last mssge.. I forgot to mention that when I asked for a reference number for the call ... I did get one .. but by the subtle tone of his voice I think it REALLY annoyed him.I think Esther Rantzen had it right with the term 'JOBSWORTH'

The following was copied and pasted this am 05/31/2011 @ 1155cdt
from the embassy website: How to apply section. sub -- 'Timing'

[B]Timing
If you are renewing your passport you should allow 4 weeks for us to return your new passport to you. If it is your first British passport application or you are replacing a lost or stolen passport you should allow at least 6 weeks. Please do not call to check on the progress of your application before this time.
[/B

Now I know they have a delay notice on there (finally)... but can anyone show me where it says that the time starts when they charge your card and not when the receive the application.

At least they should be honest and put that out there or get careless line in order!!

Last edited by lyonsden1193; May 31st 2011 at 5:07 pm. Reason: added content
Old May 31st 2011, 7:19 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

Help - Dean Churm I've just looked at my credit card online and find that Careline are now trying to charge my cc twice for the call.. trouble is if I call them its going to cost me a lot more money, and if I challenge the charge they will no doubt stop processing my passport renewal till its sorted. Can I call on your good offices to tell me who I can get at (real person - not E mail ) to complain about this total disgrace, as it stands at the moment these thieves are going to get $17.90 (that is without international phone rates) in 2 charges for 10 minutes of hold music and 4-5 minutes of NON help. I begrudge paying once, but despise the idea that they can get away with 2 charges!! because challenging would snooker me. Please ... its not the amount of money, its the principal that this disgrace is being perpetrated!!!
Old May 31st 2011, 11:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193
Help - Dean Churm I've just looked at my credit card online and find that Careline are now trying to charge my cc twice for the call.. trouble is if I call them its going to cost me a lot more money, and if I challenge the charge they will no doubt stop processing my passport renewal till its sorted. Can I call on your good offices to tell me who I can get at (real person - not E mail ) to complain about this total disgrace, as it stands at the moment these thieves are going to get $17.90 (that is without international phone rates) in 2 charges for 10 minutes of hold music and 4-5 minutes of NON help. I begrudge paying once, but despise the idea that they can get away with 2 charges!! because challenging would snooker me. Please ... its not the amount of money, its the principal that this disgrace is being perpetrated!!!
Call your CC company and put it into dispute. They will sort it out...you don't need to get involved...neither does Dean.
Old May 31st 2011, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions regarding getting my UK passport. My passport has been expired now for a couple of years however I still don't think it will be processed as someone who never had one.

My questions are as follows:

1. Do I still need a co-signer for my picture

2. Is there a place on the form where I can have my passport delivered to my place of employment as I will not be home to receive it? (I couldn't find one on the form)

3. I am divorced and kept my maiden name, do I need to send in my divorce papers with my documents or just my marriage license?
Old May 31st 2011, 11:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193
.I was also told that careline was a seperate agency. I was again told that I could NOT get an escalation!!. I told them that it would be nice if all parts of this process were on the same page!! Anyway the gist of this is they were sullen, unhelpful and a rip off at 0.69+vat per minute.( I think the British Govt are using this line to balance the national debt!!!!
Perhaps it's time for everyone to call the Foreign Office in London - if enough people do that, then perhaps someone with influence over the situation in Washington may take some notice.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions regarding getting my UK passport. My passport has been expired now for a couple of years however I still don't think it will be processed as someone who never had one.

2. Is there a place on the form where I can have my passport delivered to my place of employment as I will not be home to receive it? (I couldn't find one on the form)

3. I am divorced and kept my maiden name, do I need to send in my divorce papers with my documents or just my marriage license?
1. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...50&postcount=9
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
Hi everyone,

If the passport has expired less than 10 years ago, it'll be a renewal, not treated as a new passport.

1- Only if you don't look similar to the previous pic, any person of standing can sign for it.

3- Whatever name you want to use.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 1:27 am
Daft.. not Stoopid

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Call your CC company and put it into dispute. They will sort it out...you don't need to get involved...neither does Dean.
Sorry to disagree with you but this is exactly why Dean should get involved. I feel that the situation calls for a name that can be 'got at' to stop what is a blatant abuse by a third party contractor. Also the call was made on the advice of Dean to get an escalation and the gist if the answer is that he (Dean) was wrong with his advice. I do not believe he was!! and I feel my post gives him a chance to know that a (not so very) civil service contractor is is calling his good name and advice into question.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

Thanks...I noticed that that post was made in 2008. However when I go to the website updated 2010 it states I need a co-signer. Confused

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.