Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK passport query

UK passport query

Old Dec 12th 2008, 4:55 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future
Default UK passport query

Hi everyone

Quick question

My UK passport expires in June 09

I am a Legal Permanent resident ( Soon, I can apply for US Citizenship)

I am planning on going to England in March/April, and also maybe a quick trip to Rome.

I am going to get a renewal of my UK passport in the New Year.

I was wondering, do you foresee any problems with me getting a renewal so closely to my trip?

Many thanks

Lee
Old Dec 12th 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK passport query

Originally Posted by waxwabbit
Hi everyone

Quick question

I am planning on going to England in March/April, and also maybe a quick trip to Rome.

I was wondering, do you foresee any problems with me getting a renewal so closely to my trip?

Many thanks

Lee
Shouldn't be a problem if you have the correct details for the UK Embassy in Washington and the huge amount of money that they now require for a UK passport - and you send in the old one too.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

Quick question

Many thanks

Lee
And don't think of getting your passport until after making the Europe trip - some countries like to see 6 month validity with a passport. May not apply in this case, but I wouldn't risk it.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 2:05 am
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

Yeah, I was wondering about that whole 6 month thing

When you get the UK passport renewal, do you get your old one back too?
Old Dec 13th 2008, 2:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I was wondering about that whole 6 month thing

When you get the UK passport renewal, do you get your old one back too?
Yes you do get the old one back.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 2:14 am
Wabbit Lord

Well thanks guys, that has put my bureaucratic concerns aside
Old Dec 13th 2008, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlanR
And don't think of getting your passport until after making the Europe trip - some countries like to see 6 month validity with a passport. May not apply in this case, but I wouldn't risk it.
Huh??

I know that some countries want to see a passport that still has at least 6 months before it expires when they admit you, but you seem to be saying that there are some countries that have a problem if your passport is "too new" (less that 6 months old)?

I have never heard of this and, even if it were true in some cases, I can't imagine having a problem traveling on a UK passport to any EU country even if the passport was brand new.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Huh??

I know that some countries want to see a passport that still has at least 6 months before it expires when they admit you, but you seem to be saying that there are some countries that have a problem if your passport is "too new" (less that 6 months old)?

I have never heard of this and, even if it were true in some cases, I can't imagine having a problem traveling on a UK passport to any EU country even if the passport was brand new.
I think that the wording of AlanR's post was confusing (maybe he was drunk?) I'm pretty sure he means "don't think about waiting until after your Europe trip."

However, if you are coming back to the UK first it's easy enough to get your passport quickly by scheduling an appointment and providing an address for them to mail your passport to you in the UK. 1 week service is £97 and same day service is £114. If you will be here for a good while then the two week service is £72. See: http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/fees.asp

I have a hard time believing that the UK would refuse you entry to your own country on a valid UK passport, even if it expires in 2 months (or even 1 day, or even if it had expired - what are they going to do - send you back to America with your expired UK passport?) Going to Italy is obviously a different issue (and very confusing because of EU/Schengen interaction.)