Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK passport name change

Wikiposts

UK passport name change

Old May 29th 2021, 5:13 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK passport name change

I recently naturalized as USC and took the opportunity to revert to my maiden name.
I need to get the name changed on my UK passport and wanted to check that the approved Texas court petition showing the name change will be an acceptable document for this. My divorce decree doesn't show a name change so I can't send that.
thanks
PF
Old May 29th 2021, 6:38 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK passport name change

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I recently naturalized as USC and took the opportunity to revert to my maiden name.
I need to get the name changed on my UK passport and wanted to check that the approved Texas court petition showing the name change will be an acceptable document for this. My divorce decree doesn't show a name change so I can't send that.
thanks
PF
I don't see why not. Did you at one time have a UK passport in your maiden name? If so, you could provide a copy of that to help complete the chain.
Old May 29th 2021, 7:26 am
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Or, you could get a copy of your birth certificate and send that. I had to get a copy last year at the peak of Covid and got it in less than 2 weeks. That was from the Scottish Office though, England might be different,
Old May 30th 2021, 8:31 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
thanks
PF
I thought the naturalization certificate shows the new name. Is that not the event that actually changed your name? I assume that would be acceptable evidence if name change as well.
Old May 30th 2021, 10:21 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I thought the naturalization certificate shows the new name. Is that not the event that actually changed your name? I assume that would be acceptable evidence if name change as well.

When I divorced and reverted to my maiden name it was a couple of decades prior to my naturalization. It’s PF’s divorce that has triggered the change, not her naturalization. My court paperwork had a line that indicated that I was reclaiming my own name, but I don’t recall ever having to actually show it as I swapped back the credit cards, drivers license, etc. (I had never changed my name on my passport.)
Old May 30th 2021, 12:25 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
When I divorced and reverted to my maiden name it was a couple of decades prior to my naturalization. It’s PF’s divorce that has triggered the change, not her naturalization. My court paperwork had a line that indicated that I was reclaiming my own name, but I don’t recall ever having to actually show it as I swapped back the credit cards, drivers license, etc. (I had never changed my name on my passport.)
”I recently naturalized as USC and took the opportunity to revert to my maiden name.”

I read that to mean she had done the name change through naturalization, but you could be right.
Old May 30th 2021, 12:55 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

All the documents you need to send are listed here: https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport...evious-surname
Old May 31st 2021, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute212 has a reputation beyond repute

Your US paperwork is irrelevant in this.

Simply create and sign a deed poll which is incredibly simple, get it witnessed (by anyone, doesn't have to be a notary/lawyer), send it in with your current passport and job done.
This is legally sufficient (having done this myself twice for a UK passport name change).
You don't need to send it anywhere else or register it. The UK name change process is still incredibly simple and dare I say archaic. Quite refreshing.