Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do I need to update SSN with Permanent Residency?

Do I need to update SSN with Permanent Residency?

Old May 28th 2021, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Anthony_M_Smith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I need to update SSN with Permanent Residency?

Hi -

Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched but couldn’t find my specific answer!

Does anyone know if upon receiving a green card any updates are needed with social security if I already have a SSN? I’ve had a social security since moving to the US on a non-permanent visa. This week I received my permanent residency card and just want to make sure I’m updating all required places (employer records etc!)

Thanks in advance!
Anthony
Old May 28th 2021, 4:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need to update SSN with Permanent Residency?

Yes. You should update your record with SS and get a SS card without the legend saying you need work authorization.

Rene
Old May 28th 2021, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Anthony_M_Smith is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes. You should update your record with SS and get a SS card without the legend saying you need work authorization.

Rene
Thanks Rene!
Old May 29th 2021, 2:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In the future if you should become a US Citizen, again update SS with your new citizenship status.
Old May 29th 2021, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute

You may find that you have to wait until Social Security offices re-open before you can update your card. Luckily there is no ill effect with having the wrong text on the card until you can get it done.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting… I did not know that.
Is the credit score again starting when you change the SSN for such regularisation of the status?
Old Jun 1st 2021, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by circusplaza
Is the credit score again starting when you change the SSN for such regularisation of the status?
No, because when you become a PR in the US the SSN stays the same.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 1:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by circusplaza
No, your credit score will not change. If you had a poor one, it will remain poor ... no do overs

The first change will remove the work authorization legend which when you complete your I-9 for a new job will mean that you do not have to show USCIS proof that you can work.

The second change will update your records and this will help when or if you ever have to deal with the feds in regards to to inheritance.
Old Jun 1st 2021, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
No, because when you become a PR in the US the SSN stays the same.
Originally Posted by Rete
No, your credit score will not change. If you had a poor one, it will remain poor ... no do overs

The first change will remove the work authorization legend which when you complete your I-9 for a new job will mean that you do not have to show USCIS proof that you can work.

The second change will update your records and this will help when or if you ever have to deal with the feds in regards to to inheritance.
Cheers!
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 2:38 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

i didn't update my status with the SSA when I became LPR 7 years ago. I've never ever been asked for the actual card when working, only the SSN which can be checked through e-verify for work status.
Old Jun 2nd 2021, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't got mine changed from last year yet, because the office was closed. It did cause a bit more work on a mortgage refinance due to the wording and the Underwriting team wanting more documentation as a result.