Reload this Page >

UK Passport info when flying to US

Wikiposts

UK Passport info when flying to US

Old Nov 18th 2006, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

dubya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Passport info when flying to US

Is there such a thing as a US Government requirement that a UK national visiting the US must hold a passport that is valid for over a certain period. (i.e: expires 6-months and over).

For example, my Dad is due to fly out to see me this December and his passport expires in May 2007 Therefore this would make his passport expiring in less than 6-months.

He called the UK passport office and was told they were not sure, but thought before he travelled to the US his passport should be over 6-months before expiration.

Hope this makes sense.....

Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 18th 2006, 7:40 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passport info when flying to US

Looks like it just needs to be valid for the intended time in the states....

Have a read of this, this is what the airlines use to check visa requirements.

http://www.timaticweb.com/cgi-bin/ti...=VK&subuser=VK
Old Nov 18th 2006, 10:04 pm
redneck scouser

andie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dubya
Is there such a thing as a US Government requirement that a UK national visiting the US must hold a passport that is valid for over a certain period. (i.e: expires 6-months and over).

For example, my Dad is due to fly out to see me this December and his passport expires in May 2007 Therefore this would make his passport expiring in less than 6-months.

He called the UK passport office and was told they were not sure, but thought before he travelled to the US his passport should be over 6-months before expiration.

Hope this makes sense.....

Thanks for your help.
Here are a couple of links that explain everything:

http://www.passport.gov.uk/faqs/faq....intelement=979

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new..._validity.html

Andie
Old Nov 18th 2006, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by andie&jase
Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, the first link stated 'some countries' require a certain validity period, but does not mention which ones.

I was unable to open the second link

Any further info would be much appreciated
Old Nov 19th 2006, 12:04 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, the first link stated 'some countries' require a certain validity period, but does not mention which ones.

The second link says that if you are travelling under the visa waiver program then it only has to have 90 days left on it before expiration.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 12:47 am
redneck scouser

andie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond reputeandie&jase has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, I just tried again too. It looks like the US Embassy website is down. Try again later.

I sent the first link from the UK passport agency, as it say that if you have less than 12 months left on your passport, you should consider renewing it. It only takes about a week to get your new passport back, plus they extend the expiration date to compensate for the months that are still valid on your current passport. Maybe it's worth considering that option, so there's no doubt that your passport will be valid for travel?

Good luck ~ Andie
Old Nov 19th 2006, 12:56 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I just tried again too. It looks like the US Embassy website is down. Try again later.

I sent the first link from the UK passport agency, as it say that if you have less than 12 months left on your passport, you should consider renewing it. It only takes about a week to get your new passport back, plus they extend the expiration date to compensate for the months that are still valid on your current passport. Maybe it's worth considering that option, so there's no doubt that your passport will be valid for travel?

Good luck ~ Andie

Opens fine for me.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 3:05 am
Just Joined

Good luck ~ Andie
I found this website:

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/temp /without/without_1990.html#5

Nationals of the 27 countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program may use VWP if:
They present a machine-readable passport (MRP) valid for six months past their expected stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions). This includes all categories of passports -- regular, diplomatic, and official, when the traveler is seeking to enter the United States for business or tourist purposes, for a maximum of 90 days

(The link above shows the UK is exempt in the country specific agreement)

So according to this website there is no validity requirement.

Can I trust this??

My Dad lives in France, so it is not so simple to re-new his passport.

Let me know your thoughts....

Cheers much
Old Nov 19th 2006, 3:30 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: UK Passport info when flying to US

I found this website:

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/temp /without/without_1990.html#5

Nationals of the 27 countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program may use VWP if:
They present a machine-readable passport (MRP) valid for six months past their expected stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions). This includes all categories of passports -- regular, diplomatic, and official, when the traveler is seeking to enter the United States for business or tourist purposes, for a maximum of 90 days

(The link above shows the UK is exempt in the country specific agreement)

So according to this website there is no validity requirement.

Can I trust this??

Let me know your thoughts....

Cheers much
Well....we are not US Immigration officers!

Why not phone the US Embassy in London on Monday? I know it's a premium rate call, but at least someone there should be able to put you right.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 4:23 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

Why not phone the US Embassy in London on Monday? I know it's a premium rate call, but at least someone there should be able to put you right.
... or since your father lives in France, have him call the US Embassy in France (it may be cheaper than calling a UK premium line from France).

NC Penguin
Old Nov 19th 2006, 6:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info.

Nothing wrong with the second link. It reads:

"If traveling under the Visa Waiver Program, the passport must be valid for at least 90 days from the date on which the holder enters the United States. If not, the holder will be admitted until the expiration date on the passport.

Note: Passport holders from Andorra, Brunei, and San Marino must be in possession of a passport valid for at least six months from the date of departure from the United States, even if traveling visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 6:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

Why on earth would someone want to do that when it's all explained on the website?
Old Nov 19th 2006, 6:14 am
JAJ
Retired

There is a British Embassy in France ...
Old Nov 19th 2006, 6:26 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why on earth would someone want to do that when it's all explained on the website?
Because he didn't seem to understand what it said on the website and asked for clarification!
Old Nov 19th 2006, 6:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Can I trust this??
being from the state department website, yes you can trust it....it's the government website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.