Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to Oregon -- anyone done it?

UK to Oregon -- anyone done it?

Old Jun 14th 2013, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

transatlantic_chap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to Oregon -- anyone done it?

Lately I have been pondering a move to Oregon. I am a dual US/UK citizen and I have lived in both countries -- am currently in the UK but finding the low salaries and high cost of living to be a bit of a grind. I have been peeking at jobs in Portland, and it seems that the salaries on offer, combined with the low cost of housing (compared to SE England) are extremely attractive.

Has anyone on here moved from the UK to Oregon, Portland in particular?

I would be especially interested in hearing the experiences of people who have made this move with children. (We have a 5yr old and a 9yr old). What are the main pros and cons? What do you miss? What don't you miss? Does it really rain all the time?
Old Jun 14th 2013, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

HerrChina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK to Oregon -- anyone done it?

Berlin, Hamburg and Munich, Germany are full of English-speaking expatriates, many of which are American. And so many of them say they come from Seattle or Portland (though not the one in Maine), that I'd be reluctant to move to such cities. And they appear to be popular perhaps because so many bods are migrating there. Thus, the jobs that become available would quickly be filled, and with what might be depressing competition

Last edited by HerrChina; Jun 14th 2013 at 12:42 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by transatlantic_chap
Lately I have been pondering a move to Oregon. I am a dual US/UK citizen and I have lived in both countries -- am currently in the UK but finding the low salaries and high cost of living to be a bit of a grind. I have been peeking at jobs in Portland, and it seems that the salaries on offer, combined with the low cost of housing (compared to SE England) are extremely attractive.

I would be especially interested in hearing the experiences of people who have made this move with children. (We have a 5yr old and a 9yr old). What are the main pros and cons? What do you miss? What don't you miss? Does it really rain all the time?
Can't speak about Portland exactly (although we did start out on the coast in Oregon) We moved up near Seattle. My husband is British and he thinks one of the reasons he's acclimatized to this area is that the weather isn't too hot during the summer and that we actually have seasons. I'm not from Washington (or Pacific Northwest) originally. I'm from Southern California and in some ways I prefer that weather. It doesn't rain here all the time, but it does rain a fair bit (otherwise it wouldn't be so green ) Don't know about the schools...
Old Jun 14th 2013, 4:17 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by transatlantic_chap
Specifically the City of Portland or the Portland Metro area, there is quite a difference.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 5:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Surprised to hear you thought housing out there was much cheaper.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Oregon for 3 years in the late 90's, on a J-1 visa working for the US Forest Service in the middle of nowhere in Eastern Oregon. I was in a town of 2000 people and used to head to Portland every few months to let loose - great place for entertainment, sports etc. Had a great time and became really enamoured of Oregon. I've been next door in Idaho the last 10 years but if I could find a job in Oregon I would have been there ages ago. Seems like the job market there was bad even during the good times, although of course it depends on your profession. I think a lot of people in mine (landscape architecture) want to be in Oregon and Portland in particular.

Oregon itself is an amazingly beautiful and diverse place, and it's easy to get around with good roads. Spectacular coast, snow capped mountains, sparkling lakes, river and waterfalls, dry high-desert and huge pine trees, dense fir forests, cool mountain towns, deer, elk, bobcats, mountain lion, bears, etc etc. The Cascade mountains divide the state north to south and the west side is usually referred on the east side as the "wet" side. East of the Cascades its very dry - maybe 12" of rain a year in most towns, but in the 90's or 100's in July and August. I believe the wet side does dry out and Portland has great summers.

Can't comment on kids activities, but I bet in no time they would be into snowboarding/mountain biking/hiking/surfing/etc. all of which can be done in beautiful surroundings in Oregon.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 8:13 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Surprised to hear you thought housing out there was much cheaper.
Housing out here is a good bit cheaper than the southeast of England.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 1:42 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Took a one-way flight to Oregon with two suitcases 20 years ago. Had a great time, but no kids. Haven't been there in a decade or so now. I don't really remember salaries being much good - everyone wanted to live there, so nobody had to pay much.

It rains a good chunk of the time in the Willamette Valley between late September and April or May. But if you've been living in England, you'll just be happy it's warm and sunny in the summer.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 7:46 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Housing out here is a good bit cheaper than the southeast of England.
The most expensive area of the UK to live is, in fact, Sandbanks in Dorset, one estate agent there has around 6 properties on his books, all in the 5-7 million range, and is currently due to offer a new build apartment wich will seel for the highest cost per square foot in Europe, if not the world. Last year they sold only 6 properties, but the amount they sold for was £50+ million.

Last edited by mikelincs; Jun 15th 2013 at 8:33 am.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 7:54 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The most expensive area of the UK to live is, in fact, Sandbanks in Dorset, one estate agent there has around 6 properties on his books, all in the 5-7 million range, and is currentl due to offer a new build apartment wich will seel for the highest cost per square foot in Europe, if not the world. Last year they sold only 6 properties, but the amount they sold for was £50+ million.
You can get a decent house in a decent area within 25 miles of downtown Portland (not where the jobs are BTW) for under 200K. 3 or 4 bedroom, 2 car garage 1500 sq. ft.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
You can get a decent house in a decent area within 25 miles of downtown Portland (not where the jobs are BTW) for under 200K. 3 or 4 bedroom, 2 car garage 1500 sq. ft.
You can get that within 10 miles of downtown Portland.
Old Jun 16th 2013, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psyman
I lived in Oregon for 3 years in the late 90's, on a J-1 visa working for the US Forest Service in the middle of nowhere in Eastern Oregon. I was in a town of 2000 people and used to head to Portland every few months to let loose - great place for entertainment, sports etc. Had a great time and became really enamoured of Oregon. I've been next door in Idaho the last 10 years but if I could find a job in Oregon I would have been there ages ago. Seems like the job market there was bad even during the good times, although of course it depends on your profession. I think a lot of people in mine (landscape architecture) want to be in Oregon and Portland in particular.

Oregon itself is an amazingly beautiful and diverse place, and it's easy to get around with good roads. Spectacular coast, snow capped mountains, sparkling lakes, river and waterfalls, dry high-desert and huge pine trees, dense fir forests, cool mountain towns, deer, elk, bobcats, mountain lion, bears, etc etc. The Cascade mountains divide the state north to south and the west side is usually referred on the east side as the "wet" side. East of the Cascades its very dry - maybe 12" of rain a year in most towns, but in the 90's or 100's in July and August. I believe the wet side does dry out and Portland has great summers.

Can't comment on kids activities, but I bet in no time they would be into snowboarding/mountain biking/hiking/surfing/etc. all of which can be done in beautiful surroundings in Oregon.
I love your description.
So evocative
Your enthusiasm for that state is really palpable.
Hope you can manage to find your way back one day.
Perhaps as a pitchman - extolling the virtues and beauties of Oregon for the Dept of Tourism? (just kidding)
Old Jun 17th 2013, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

BHAFC14 is on a distinguished road

I was there for 2 years in 1998 working for Intel at Ronler Acres. I lived in Beaverton just outside of Portland. I really liked the area and also the whole Pacific North West Region. If you and your kids love the outdoors you will really like the area – plenty of hiking, climbing, white water rafting and skiing in the winter. Very good food, especially seafood and lots of micro-breweries. It had a definite vibe that was very different from other areas of the States. It rained just a little bit too much for me – there was a saying that “you didn’t tan you just rusted!”, but having said that the summers were exceptional. Nicely located for longer range trips like Seattle, Vancouver and Whistler. I was also lucky working for Intel who are one of the best companies I’ve worked for. I wouldn’t move from New York now but Oregon has very good memories.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
I love your description.
So evocative
Your enthusiasm for that state is really palpable.
Hope you can manage to find your way back one day.
Perhaps as a pitchman - extolling the virtues and beauties of Oregon for the Dept of Tourism? (just kidding)
Yeah, and I hadn't even mentioned the great micro breweries! For me, the only reason to be in the US is all the things I mentioned in my post, and fortunately I can get most of them next door here in Idaho (long drive to the sea though). May as well be back in Blighty otherwise.

Last edited by Psyman; Jun 17th 2013 at 6:41 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

transatlantic_chap is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to give this thread a bump -- it's been a while since I posted, but I still find myself looking at jobs/houses in Portland. Any newbies want to chime in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.