Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK mail redirection company - pls help!

UK mail redirection company - pls help!

Old Jun 13th 2004, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

EdouardB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK mail redirection company - pls help!

Hello all,

We are leaving the UK soon and are looking for a company that could provide a mailing address and handle the redirection to our new address (so no PO box).

This is not the Royal Mail redirection service - we need them to provide a valid UK address since we are selling our house right away. This will allow us to retain a UK bank account, links with trade bodies, etc.. and still receive all statements and others letters.

Can anyone recommend a serious company?

Many thanks!

Ed and Kathy
Old Jun 13th 2004, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Heather142 will become famous soon enoughHeather142 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: UK mail redirection company - pls help!

Hi Ed and Kathy,

I am sorry that I cannot recommend a company that will provide a redirection service and a UK address for the purpose that you indicate.

However, I am in the same situation and have been in touch with bank, trade associations etc and they have all stated that they will continue to provide me with statements, publications no matter where I am. The bank especially will even allow me to specify how often I want them to send me statements to my address in the US. They did suggest though that I allowed another signatory on the account (based in the Uk) should I require urgent access to any monies left here.

I hope that assists in some way, and good luck with the move. Where are you moving to?

Regards,

Heather
Old Jun 13th 2004, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

We had no problems with banks etc. sending over our mail to the US. Only problem we had was with getting mail for our UK Ltd. company, Companies House would not forward to the US. What we did was use a friends address for that purpose and they forwarded the rest to us. We never had another signatory on our account, main reason being we bank with First Direct who allow international transfers etc. to be done over the phone.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 5:35 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK mail redirection company - pls help!

Originally posted by EdouardB
Hello all,

We are leaving the UK soon and are looking for a company that could provide a mailing address and handle the redirection to our new address (so no PO box).

This is not the Royal Mail redirection service - we need them to provide a valid UK address since we are selling our house right away. This will allow us to retain a UK bank account, links with trade bodies, etc.. and still receive all statements and others letters.

Can anyone recommend a serious company?

Many thanks!

Ed and Kathy
Why can't you just use the royal mail's redirection service and keep renewing it? We redirected our mail for a year but didn't take them up on their renewal offer - we'd told everyone our details. Anyone still sending to the old address wasn't important enough to worry about........
Old Jun 14th 2004, 11:39 am
Just Joined

EdouardB is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice.

I'm not after mail redirection alone - I also need a UK address since I won't have one anymore!

Thanks again
Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:10 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by EdouardB
Thanks for the advice.

I'm not after mail redirection alone - I also need a UK address since I won't have one anymore!

Thanks again
What about your parents. My accounts are under my mother's address so that I have an addy in the UK. My mom is now my accountant/secretary She sends what I need out to me and trashes all the junk mail.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

robh is an unknown quantity at this point

The best place to find the mail forwarding companies is in "business services" ads in places like Exchange and Mart, maybe Sunday Times, etc.

One that has been going very many years is British Monomarks in London, when I used them a few years ago they were OK but inflexible. They do street addresses. I also noticed recently that some branches of Mailboxes Etc (well-known US mailbox service) now seem to exist in the UK. There are many more.

Check all charges very carefully - some charge handling fees per letter, mark up postage 100% etc which can really add up.

Bear in mind the effect changing to any of these mailing addresses might have on your UK credit rating - you'll be switching to an address heavily used by fly-by-nights (i.e. people who want to hide their real address).

Keep the amount of mail sent to it to the absolute minimum by giving the overseas address where possible.

Rob