Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK ISA Option

UK ISA Option

Old Oct 29th 2015, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK ISA Option

I have been contacted about an old ISA and have been given 3 options, cash it is, move it to another one of their schemes, move it to somebody else.

Moving it to another one of their schemes is not an option as I am US resident however.

I am pretty sure there is nowhere else to go and I will need to take the cash but just thought I would ask.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK ISA Option

Stocks and shares or cash ISA?

Personally, I'd want to cash out an ISA of any sort as soon as I could, if I'd immigrated to the US.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

I forgot about it.

Shares plus cash dividend.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 1:06 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I forgot about it.

Shares plus cash dividend.
Do you own collective investment funds or individual shares? Have you been including this on you 1040? and filing FBAR etc if above the thresholds?
Old Oct 30th 2015, 1:31 am
Account Closed

I had forgotten all about it, not a lot.

They are individual shares, the Company I worked for had a Share saving plan, when it matured the money saved bought the shares which went into an ISA. This was from before I immigrated.
Old Nov 1st 2015, 2:34 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I had forgotten all about it, not a lot.

They are individual shares, the Company I worked for had a Share saving plan, when it matured the money saved bought the shares which went into an ISA. This was from before I immigrated.
OK that makes things a bit easier. Did you ever have more than $10k in foreign accounts including your ISA while liable to US tax.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

What is the impact of having over $10k in a UK account wile liable for US tax? That's my situation (has been for 1 month and likely to be that until I go home for a visit later this year)
Old Nov 9th 2015, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hanco
What is the impact of having over $10k in a UK account wile liable for US tax? That's my situation (has been for 1 month and likely to be that until I go home for a visit later this year)
If you are filing US tax returns then I guess that you are a US resident or a US citizen.You have to file a Foreign Bank Account Report (FBAR) with the Treasury if at any time the total of your foreign bank accounts exceeds $10k.There is no tax due, it's just a report but the penalties for not reporting can be high.
You do this online here. BSA E-Filing System - Welcome to the BSA E-Filing System
More info on FBAR here.https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small...-Accounts-FBAR

Last edited by durham_lad; Nov 9th 2015 at 9:45 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond reputeHanco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
If you are filing US tax returns then I guess that you are a US resident or a US citizen.You have to file a Foreign Bank Account Report (FBAR) with the Treasury if at any time the total of your foreign bank accounts exceeds $10k.There is no tax due, it's just a report but the penalties for not reporting can be high.
You do this online here. BSA E-Filing System - Welcome to the BSA E-Filing System
More info on FBAR here.https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small...-Accounts-FBAR
Thank you so much for that. Yeah, for tax purposes, I am resident in the US. FBAR will be filed. The fact there are penalties that can be high is not a surprise to me... The Inland Revenue in the UK is pretty soft on penalties compared to here isn't it!

Thanks again
Old Nov 10th 2015, 2:12 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

You must include any dividends or capital gains on your 1040 and pay US tax on them. Also file an FBAR if you have more than $10k in foreign accounts.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

1040?

(Can you tell, I need to schedule my tax advisor appointment!)

Until 4 weeks ago I was still earning £GBP
Old Nov 10th 2015, 1:33 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

1040?

You should do some basic Googling and talk to the HR department where you work. The "1040" is the IRS tax form that most US citizens and residents must submit by April 15th of every year to declare their worldwide income.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 9:03 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

We've had lots of ISA threads, doesn't make sense to hold onto it if you emigrate from the UK.

You have to file a Foreign Bank Account Report (FBAR) with the Treasury if at any time the total of your foreign bank accounts exceeds $10k
An ISA is not a bank account, it is specifically exempt from FATCA in the FATCA agreement with the UK. The IRS treats an ISA as a foreign trust and it is thus subject to 3520-A and 3520 reporting requirements. Completing 3520-A is basically impossible for the ISA holder unless it is a cash ISA, so long story short - if you move to the US, close all your ISAs. As the US taxes foreign trusts there is literally no point at all in holding onto it unless you're in the US for less than a year.

Moreover, an ISA is a benefit for someone resident in the UK for tax purposes - you're not, so it can create problems with HMRC as well.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 9:06 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

1040?

Read IRS publication 519, specifically the bit about dual-status returns and how tax residency is determined. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf

Also IRS publication 17 which is the basic "how to" for filling in a US tax return.

For foreign bank accounts, have a read of IRS form 8938 and the FinCEN FBAR website, different forms that you also have to fill in.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

In case anybody is wondering and as my initial question was ignored I cashde it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.