Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK house sold, moving money to US.

UK house sold, moving money to US.

Old Mar 15th 2018, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

BigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK house sold, moving money to US.

Guys,

My UK house has sold recently and soon will be in a position to transfer the funds to the US.

However, as I don't have a US bank account, if I transfer the money into my wife's account will we be charged tax?

Thanks
T
Old Mar 15th 2018, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK house sold, moving money to US.

Originally Posted by BigT103
Guys,

My UK house has sold recently and soon will be in a position to transfer the funds to the US.

However, as I don't have a US bank account, if I transfer the money into my wife's account will we be charged tax?

Thanks
T
No, you can transfer it to your wife's account and there will be no tax. Check with your bank's "dealing desk" as well as money exchange companies to get the best deal. It's best for your wife to inform her bank when the transfer is imminent. Here's a list:

https://moneytransfercomparison.com/
Old Mar 15th 2018, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

BigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond reputeBigT103 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
No, you can transfer it to your wife's account and there will be no tax. Check with your bank's "dealing desk" as well as money exchange companies to get the best deal. It's best for your wife to inform her bank when the transfer is imminent. Here's a list:

https://moneytransfercomparison.com/
That's great MidAtlantic, would we need to let her bank know in advance and prove where the money came from?
Old Mar 15th 2018, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigT103
That's great MidAtlantic, would we need to let her bank know in advance and prove where the money came from?
Yes, tell them in advance and just say that it is from your UK house sale. If the need anything else they will ask you. Keep records of your house sale so that you can prove that that is the source. It's all about money laundering prevention!
Old Mar 15th 2018, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, tell them in advance and just say that it is from your UK house sale. If the need anything else they will ask you. Keep records of your house sale so that you can prove that that is the source. It's all about money laundering prevention!
+1

On our big transfer to the solicitor while buying a house a year they asked us to provide proof as to where the funds came from and a scanned image emailed in was sufficient.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 8:15 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the money transfer companies will only do so to an account which is in your name, or yours and a joint account holder.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

If you will owe tax in the States on any gain or foreign currency gain on repaying a mortgage; you'll have to remember to save some of the money to pay to the IRS...
Old Mar 19th 2018, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lansbury
Some of the money transfer companies will only do so to an account which is in your name, or yours and a joint account holder.
Are you sure? I think it is the other way around. They will only receive funds from the registered account holder, or a joint account, but will pay out to anyone.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

deanpegal is an unknown quantity at this point

No, you will not be charged any tax because of that
Old Mar 19th 2018, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure? I think it is the other way around. They will only receive funds from the registered account holder, or a joint account, but will pay out to anyone.
Correct - i've sent money to my sibling using Transferwise.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
#metoo
Old Mar 19th 2018, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Sane here, to my sister in England and to my brother in Australia.

Prior to Transferwise I've used XE.com to send euros to a person in Ireland whose house we were renting for a vacation. I remember them providing the IBAN number of their account.