Reload this Page >

UK Graduate wanting to move to the USA

UK Graduate wanting to move to the USA

Old Jul 29th 2012, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

M2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Graduate wanting to move to the USA

Hi

I am Law Graduate with a LLB degree and a qualification in the Legal Practice Course. Since I graduate I have worked in several roles in the public sector and now working for a large UK based law firm- however opportunities there are limited.

I am really keen to experience working in the USA. I travelled around the country for just over a month in 2010 which I appreciate is not enough time to get a real feel of the place. However whenever I here of people moving to the states I always think, " how do they do that, that should be me!" It has always been a dream of mine to work out there ever since I was little.

I know the best way to get an opportunity out there would be to get a transfer with a company in the UK with a US presence. If anyone has any advice, experience or even some useful websites of recruitment agencies etc this it would be greatly appreciated.

I have been applying for jobs directly via sites such as glassdoor, monster and through companies and firms direct.

I really hope one day I can fulfil my life long dream because I won't be able to settle until it comes true!

Thanks
Old Jul 29th 2012, 5:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Graduate wanting to move to the USA

There's been a couple of threads on the subject and about only two states that let you take the bar exam without having to study from scratch.

For a company transfer, you are really going to need to know very niche knowledge that a company in the US will want you for your UK knowledge.

Best bet would have been a uni exchange for a semester or two.

With no real experience, applying now would be a waste of time realistically, but good luck!
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

There are a large number of unemployed lawyers who are US citizens. Therefore you have to ask yourself...why would a company pay thousands for a visa...when you aren't even qualified to work here...when there are plenty of unemployed US educated lawyers right here already.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There are a large number of unemployed lawyers who are US citizens. Therefore you have to ask yourself...why would a company pay thousands for a visa...when you aren't even qualified to work here...when there are plenty of unemployed US educated lawyers right here already.
Graduates Sue Law Schools Over Misrepresentation of Job Data
Old Jul 29th 2012, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M2012
I am Law Graduate with a LLB degree and a qualification in the Legal Practice Course.
Try Canada... at least they'll understand what an LLB is. In the US, most lawyers have a JD and unless you also have one, they're going to look at you as though you have a 3rd eye in the middle of your forehead. It'll scream: foreigner.

Ian
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies. I am not restricting myself to just working in the legal field. I have experience of working in Finance so I am hoping that my better my chances?
Old Jul 29th 2012, 10:33 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies. I am not restricting myself to just working in the legal field. I have experience of working in Finance so I am hoping that my better my chances?
Why - is there a shortage of workers in the financial sector? I thought they fired a stack of them post-2007.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 12:26 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Only if your degree in finance matches the degree required by the potential job in the USA. And only if the employer thinks you're more highly qualified to do the job than a USC.

Rene
Old Jul 30th 2012, 2:26 am
Just Joined

FredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to all

Find a nice single American girl whose father owns a bank.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 2:27 am
Just Joined

FredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to allFredCDobbs is a name known to all

. . . or even a naughty one for that matter.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

The only other option is to get in a with a firm/company in the UK with a base in the U.S. If anyone has any knowledge of experience of such companies that would be great.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 10:31 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

America needs MORE lawyers.