Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Final salary pension transfer

UK Final salary pension transfer

Old Feb 11th 2021, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Final salary pension transfer

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl View Post
Tax is due when withdrawn from the SIPP, not upon transfer to a SIPP. It is due upon withdrawal regardless of whether you then transfer the funds to the US. You should continue to declare on FBARs. Some say you also should declare It as a foreign trust, some say you don’t have to do that. I, personally do not declare my SIPP as a foreign trust but do declare it on Form 8938 because it is a lot simpler and there is no definitive guidance on the foreign trust requirement.
I take exactly the same approach.
Old Feb 25th 2021, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

ncameron99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Glasgow Girl

I would also like the details of a trustworthy independent pension adviser for those with UK-based pensions who have moved to the UK. I've spent two years talking to two different advisers in turn, and narrowly got taken to the cleaners by one lot - based in the Caribbean. My current guy I believe to be honest, but I'm not sure he knows what he so doing. It's so difficult to find any adviser who will even speak to me, as they are terrified of being taken to task by the FSA in the UK.
I would have DM'd you, but I'm not allowed as I only joined today. If you are happy to pass the information on maybe you could DM me...
Old Feb 25th 2021, 11:07 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

@ncameron99, Sent you a PM
Old Feb 27th 2021, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

geak is an unknown quantity at this point

I completed transferring into SIPP late last year. I live in US since 1999 and had 4 pensions in the UK, one of which was defined benefit.

When it came close to retirement age, I received four invitations to take distribution. It should be simple for UK resident and citizen, but a lot of more work and new learnings for US resident and citizen. I deferred all of them for a year.

Started to work with US financial advisors for UK pension consolidation after the wake up call. Interactions with the first one was intermittent. He was adamant that defined benefit cannot be transferred and only the other three can. At that time, I started to work with the second advisor. It is a team and things started to move - meetings, emails, phone calls, phone interviews and discharge forms with pension schemes one by one.

UK regulated advise was required to move defined benefit pension for a fee. UK advisor was so meticulous and questioned all retirement expenses from Christmas gifts to annual TV license fee which the US does not have. The outcome was a beautifully plotted 2K GBP worth of curve showing I was far better off by transferring out of the defined benefit system which is like a mini social security.

A recommendation was made and transfer to SIPP completed. It took about a year to complete through the pandemic. SIPP is UK based with SEC regulated US intermediate. A sense of relief dealing with one consolidated account and one US tax reporting.
Old Feb 27th 2021, 10:22 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geak View Post
I completed transferring into SIPP late last year. I live in US since 1999 and had 4 pensions in the UK, one of which was defined benefit.

When it came close to retirement age, I received four invitations to take distribution. It should be simple for UK resident and citizen, but a lot of more work and new learnings for US resident and citizen. I deferred all of them for a year.

Started to work with US financial advisors for UK pension consolidation after the wake up call. Interactions with the first one was intermittent. He was adamant that defined benefit cannot be transferred and only the other three can. At that time, I started to work with the second advisor. It is a team and things started to move - meetings, emails, phone calls, phone interviews and discharge forms with pension schemes one by one.

UK regulated advise was required to move defined benefit pension for a fee. UK advisor was so meticulous and questioned all retirement expenses from Christmas gifts to annual TV license fee which the US does not have. The outcome was a beautifully plotted 2K GBP worth of curve showing I was far better off by transferring out of the defined benefit system which is like a mini social security.

A recommendation was made and transfer to SIPP completed. It took about a year to complete through the pandemic. SIPP is UK based with SEC regulated US intermediate. A sense of relief dealing with one consolidated account and one US tax reporting.
Did you have any difficulty transferring to the SIPP because of you rUS tax status and the potential reporting issues for the UK institution? Or has that died down now? Also is there any IRS or otherwise official acknowledgement of the SIPP structure being recognized as a pension in the DTA? Having a SIPP as a US citizen or tax resident will require some extra reporting and the cross boarder tax simplicity and guaranteed income of a final salary pension should be seriously considered. A final salary pension can be an excellent component of a diversified retirement income portfolio and essentially replace a bond/fixed income component so you can ramp up the equity allocation in your IRA's, 401ks, or UK based work pensions etc

Last edited by nun; Feb 27th 2021 at 10:42 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2021, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

geak is an unknown quantity at this point

The delay came from UK pension administrators. It is all in rear view mirror now. Alignment with the appropriate regulatory structures is part of the service from the receiving scheme. It is all new to me. Some friends here have been there and have more knowledge.
Old Feb 28th 2021, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Otto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond reputeOtto The Squid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geak View Post
The delay came from UK pension administrators. It is all in rear view mirror now. Alignment with the appropriate regulatory structures is part of the service from the receiving scheme. It is all new to me. Some friends here have been there and have more knowledge.
DB trustees should deal with a transfer request within 6 months.
As far as regulation is concerned, ideally use a UK FCA regd adviser (with DB permissions) that also has an SEC licence.

Old Mar 1st 2021, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun View Post
Did you have any difficulty transferring to the SIPP because of you rUS tax status and the potential reporting issues for the UK institution? Or has that died down now? Also is there any IRS or otherwise official acknowledgement of the SIPP structure being recognized as a pension in the DTA? Having a SIPP as a US citizen or tax resident will require some extra reporting and the cross boarder tax simplicity and guaranteed income of a final salary pension should be seriously considered. A final salary pension can be an excellent component of a diversified retirement income portfolio and essentially replace a bond/fixed income component so you can ramp up the equity allocation in your IRA's, 401ks, or UK based work pensions etc
Many UK SIPP providers will not open accounts for US citizens or residents. As a dual US/UK citizen I transferred several small pensions (none of them defined benefit) into a SIPP with AJ Bell some years ago. I do not know if they continue to handle such transfers. My reason was to consolidate them into one account and substantially reduce fees. I had no problems with the transfer which went very smoothly.
Old Mar 1st 2021, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

reltub is an unknown quantity at this point

Otto, is there a way to identify UK FCA registered advisers, with DB permissions and also an SEC license? Information on that seems scarce.