Old Jun 2nd 2015, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

TaraDeak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Electrics to US

California � ����
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 11:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TaraDeak
Thank you, I was worried I'd have to leave it we're headed to Orange County
Might want to say which one...the one in MA and you'd be giving a high 6...
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 1:22 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Might want to say which one...the one in MA ........
The one in MA is only a town, not a county.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

stockhall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by loubiblu
Fantastic advice as always. Wasn't planning to bring hairdryers/straighteners/curlers as have discovered on holidays to the US that they don't work well (or at all) with adapters.

I'm not going to get into the transformer option. Will check the back of the TVs.

Looks like I'm not bringing my magimix, blender, kitchenaid mixer or the coffee machine. Our kettle is a stove top one.

Cell phones are all iPhones (mix of 4s, 5 and 5s) so hopefully they'll be fine with PAYG sims until we can establish enough credit for contracts.

What's the deal with DAB radios and internet radios?

I have to say I am still confused. My phone is unlocked, and we only do payg that is not a problem for us, I am confused over tv's now as I read something about the signal system and display being a different configuration so they wouldn't work regardless. Well we have an old PS3 so not sure if it will be worthwhile bringing it over, one due to age and the fact that all our games wont work. Don't want to rehome all our dvd's and blurays though.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stockhall
I am confused over tv's now as I read something about the signal system and display being a different configuration so they wouldn't work regardless. Well we have an old PS3 so not sure if it will be worthwhile bringing it over, one due to age and the fact that all our games wont work. Don't want to rehome all our dvd's and blurays though.
We shipped our TVs over with us, they work through HDMI connections to the set top boxes from the cable company (Verizon in our case). I don't think our sets have ever received the signal directly as they are always connects via some type of box.

We had an XBox which came with us, so that my son could play all of his old games. Changed the power supply and works no problem. New games are unlikely to work as they are also region specific, so he now has an upgrade. Depends on how many games you have for the system.

DVD players can be purchased that are multi region players. These play our old discs and new purchases too.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Phyzz
We shipped our TVs over with us, they work through HDMI connections to the set top boxes from the cable company (Verizon in our case). I don't think our sets have ever received the signal directly as they are always connects via some type of box.

We had an XBox which came with us, so that my son could play all of his old games. Changed the power supply and works no problem. New games are unlikely to work as they are also region specific, so he now has an upgrade. Depends on how many games you have for the system.

DVD players can be purchased that are multi region players. These play our old discs and new purchases too.
thanks for the reply
Old Jun 9th 2015, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Disenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond reputeDisenchanted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stockhall
I am confused over tv's now as I read something about the signal system and display being a different configuration so they wouldn't work regardless. Don't want to rehome all our dvd's and blurays though.
Your TV won't work here for over the air broadcast, UK uses COFD modulation, here they use 8VSB so no decoding. Cable companies use QUAM256 so that's out too. External cable boxes and over the air tuners are available so HDMI from those to your TV will work, but TV's are so cheap it's not really worth bringing yours, especially if you will need a step-up transformer.

Your DVD's & Bluerays may not work, depends on your player, your UK DVD/BD's will be region 2, in the USA DVD/BD players play region 1 discs so unless you can get a region 0 DVD/BR player your SOL. You could use a computer to play them if you set it to play region 2 discs, but that's such an awkward way to play them. Doesn't your PS3 play your DVD's & BD's? That might be a better option.

Another option if you have an extensive DVD/BD collection is to bring it over, then use something like DVDFab to rip them to H264/MKV and put them onto a media player with a 2-3 TB hard drive which is then used to display them on your US TV.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Disenchanted
Your TV won't work here for over the air broadcast, UK uses COFD modulation, here they use 8VSB so no decoding. Cable companies use QUAM256 so that's out too. External cable boxes and over the air tuners are available so HDMI from those to your TV will work, but TV's are so cheap it's not really worth bringing yours, especially if you will need a step-up transformer.

Your DVD's & Bluerays may not work, depends on your player, your UK DVD/BD's will be region 2, in the USA DVD/BD players play region 1 discs so unless you can get a region 0 DVD/BR player your SOL. You could use a computer to play them if you set it to play region 2 discs, but that's such an awkward way to play them. Doesn't your PS3 play your DVD's & BD's? That might be a better option.

Another option if you have an extensive DVD/BD collection is to bring it over, then use something like DVDFab to rip them to H264/MKV and put them onto a media player with a 2-3 TB hard drive which is then used to display them on your US TV.
Cheers for the input, that is exactly what I thought about tvs. we have a few yes, I was looking into universal players on amazon, and on the whole they are not too badly priced, probably many places cheaper. PS3 does play dvd not had much luck with BD being an older version.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

alternageek will become famous soon enoughalternageek will become famous soon enough

I'm planning on bringing my kitchenaid and magimix with me when I move (FL) will they not work properly with a step down transformer??

Id really hate to have to rebuy them :/
Old Jun 17th 2015, 9:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alternageek
I'm planning on bringing my kitchenaid and magimix with me when I move (FL) will they not work properly with a step down transformer??

There is no guarantee that the motors will run at the right speed, and will therefore become a fire risk. In any case you'll have the perpetual issue of needing a transformer, which can invalidate your home/ contents insurance. I would put shipping both of those firmly in the "more trouble than its worth" category. Sorry.

BTW You'd need a step UP transformer to get you from regular 120v US household mains voltage to the 230-240v that British appliances need.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

The kitchenaid will probably sell for more on Ebay in the UK than it'll cost to buy new out here - they are a US company, and US products that can be bought in Europe usually cost silly money despite being cheap in their home market. Might be an idea to check out the US retail prices

Last edited by zzrmark; Jun 17th 2015 at 9:41 pm. Reason: duplicating info
Old Jun 17th 2015, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

alternageek will become famous soon enoughalternageek will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There is no guarantee that the motors will run at the right speed, and will therefore become a fire risk. In any case you'll have the perpetual issue of needing a transformer, which can invalidate your home/ contents insurance. I would put shipping both of those firmly in the "more trouble than its worth" category. Sorry.

BTW You'd need a step UP transformer to get you from regular 120v US household mains voltage to the 230-240v that British appliances need.
Oopsie.. Sorry! Yeah thats what I meant.

Originally Posted by zzrmark
The kitchenaid will probably sell for more on Ebay in the UK than it'll cost to buy new out here - they are a US company, and US products that can be bought in Europe usually cost silly money despite being cheap in their home market. Might be an idea to check out the US retail prices
Its about the same price.. My KA is only 5 years old and would hate to part with either item. Especially as the food processor is only sold at Williams-Sonoma and more money there :grr:

Thanks everyone *sigh* this move is getting more and more heartbreaking.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 10:18 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loubiblu
Cell phones are all iPhones (mix of 4s, 5 and 5s) so hopefully they'll be fine with PAYG sims until we can establish enough credit for contracts.
Mobile phones and other battery-operated devices such as laptops run on direct current, so the devices themselves are universal.

The issue with those is whether the power cord is dual voltage. (That box-shaped thing on the cord is what converts AC wall power into DC for those devices.)

If I am not mistaken, the iPhones have dual-voltage power cords and have both the North American and European GSM channels, so the phones should be fine. Buy the plug converters that you need in the UK.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Oopsie.. Sorry! Yeah thats what I meant.

Its about the same price.. My KA is only 5 years old and would hate to part with either item. Especially as the food processor is only sold at Williams-Sonoma and more money there :grr:

Thanks everyone *sigh* this move is getting more and more heartbreaking.
You could, under the supervision of an electrician, try and run them on US 220V.
Old Jun 17th 2015, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steveq
You could, under the supervision of an electrician, try and run them on US 220V.
I'd be happy to get them re-wired, it has to be cheaper than spending $700+ for two kitchen items.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.