Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Dr's Records

UK Dr's Records

Old Apr 14th 2004, 1:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default UK Dr's Records

When you join a Dr's in the US, do they contact your old Dr's Surgery in the UK or should we ask our DR for our notes and carry them across ourselves?
Old Apr 14th 2004, 1:47 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

I registered at my doc's a few months back and there was nowhere on the form that I filled out to provide the details of my previous doctor.

I've heard that the NHS won't send your records abroad.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by FlyergirlUK
I registered at my doc's a few months back and there was nowhere on the form that I filled out to provide the details of my previous doctor.

I've heard that the NHS won't send your records abroad.

Wow! So when you get a Doc in the US, they have no knowledge of your medical history? Bizarre. We don't really have a medical history apart from our son being asthmatic but I would have thought someone would want it - even just for insurance purposes.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 2:10 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to get my records sent to Spain when I moved there but they wouldn't do it, and they don't just let you go and collect them.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

You can ask you Doctor to write a letter regarding your general health and any health problems in the past. We did that and the Doctor charged us about 40GBPs for the whole family. In particular, if you have children, you will need a complete record of your immunisations. If you don't, the school will more than likely refuse to let your children in until they have them redone or you get proof they have had them. When you do arrive, ask around about Doctors, as they can vary greatly.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 2:28 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jjmb
In particular, if you have children, you will need a complete record of your immunisations. If you don't, the school will more than likely refuse to let your children in until they have them redone or you get proof they have had them. When you do arrive, ask around about Doctors, as they can vary greatly.
Ah yes, you are right about that. I simply asked for a copy of their immunisation records at the surgery before leaving and they printed them off for me - no charge.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

My Doctor was very helpful and printed off a summary of our medical notes for the time that we had been with him.

You really, really need proof of your childrens immunisations.

They cannot start school without them.

If you do not have proof they will make your children have them again.

Unless they have had chickenpox they will have to be immunised against that as well. They get one more DTaP (Diptheria, Tetanus and Pertussis) than we do in the UK so they will probably have to be given that.

They also have to be immunised for Hep B. They will let them start school once they have had the first shot but they will kick you out again if you don't get the following shots on time.

They advise you to get the Hep A immunisation here in Texas as well although that is not required.

We couldn't locate my daughters MMR record and she had to have it again along with the chicken pox and Hep A and B. The poor kids were like pin cushions.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 3:10 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't wish for your children to have any more immunisations (or they never had them in the first place) you can petition the school board on the grounds of religion/don't believe in immunisation etc. You can do this for just the Hepititus vaccine too even if your children have had all the other vaccines.

I didn't want my children to have the extra vaccine (which isn't compulsory in all states by the way. Some only recommend it but doctors and schools will push for it) and so got my GP to write a letter stating that the children had had enough and didn't require anymore. That was enough for the school.

If you don't have the records but you know that they have had them and feel strongly enough that you don't want them (or you for that matter) to have them again, get a blood test done instead to show what they are immune to and what they aren't. I had to have the MMR but I knew I had already had all these diseases but had no proof. I had the first one and was really ill after it so instead of having the second I opted for the blood test instead. If I had known what reaction I would get (apparently the doctor informed me afterwards that because I had had the diseases I had a more severe reaction ) I would have done the blood test first!
Old Apr 14th 2004, 4:22 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

My twin girls went ahead and had their Hep B shots yesterday, as required by Texas law for them to enter kindergarden.

What a pity we didn't know about petitioning the school board - we would have considered it, I think.

Our local school insisted on the month and year of each shot, and the basic printout we got from our doctor in the UK had no dates (!). In the end we found dates from the girls' health visitor's book, but otherwise we would have had to ask our UK doctor to send a letter with full details.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 4:39 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dbj1000
My twin girls went ahead and had their Hep B shots yesterday, as required by Texas law for them to enter kindergarden.

What a pity we didn't know about petitioning the school board - we would have considered it, I think.
I wouldn't have known about the extra immunisation for DTP if I hadn't made such a fuss when we first arrived in this country. I couldn't believe that we could come from a country that is similar to the USA (I can understand it being different if we had come from India for example) and yet they wouldn't accept my children's immunisation. I got the nurse to check and when she got her book out I managed to look over her shoulder and read the small print that stated a letter from the child's doctor stating enough immunisation had been received by the child was acceptable! She didn't tell me this and wasn't going to because when I pointed it out to her she closed the book very quickly!

Even when I brought her the letter she wasn't going to accept it because the wording wasn't just perfect. She soon realised that I wasn't going to back down and I never heard a peep out of her or the school district about it.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

When we had our Embassy interview and medicals, Hubby and I had to have MMR, Polio and DT to get our GC's. Our son had already had MMR, Polio and DT had 1 Hep B.
Now he has had the 2nd Hep B and we are going to try to fit in one more before we leave the UK (that's touch and go as the nurse is not sure whether a 1 month gap is enough - hardly fills you with confidence when the nurse doesn't know what's okay!!)
From what we understand, he will need a blood test to make sure he's immunity is high enough. I guess the school will request we have a blood test done over there before they allow him to start.

As for proof of injections, I can only think to write to the Doc's and ask them to list all his immunisations and the dates they were received, on headed paper..... do you think this will satisfy the schools/Doc's? (When I asked the Dr's to give us a list before for the Embassy, the nurse literally scribbled a note on prescription type paper and that was it. I could have wrote that!
Old Apr 14th 2004, 5:36 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whatever
When we had our Embassy interview and medicals, Hubby and I had to have MMR, Polio and DT to get our GC's. Our son had already had MMR, Polio and DT had 1 Hep B.
Now he has had the 2nd Hep B and we are going to try to fit in one more before we leave the UK (that's touch and go as the nurse is not sure whether a 1 month gap is enough - hardly fills you with confidence when the nurse doesn't know what's okay!!)
From what we understand, he will need a blood test to make sure he's immunity is high enough. I guess the school will request we have a blood test done over there before they allow him to start.

As for proof of injections, I can only think to write to the Doc's and ask them to list all his immunisations and the dates they were received, on headed paper..... do you think this will satisfy the schools/Doc's? (When I asked the Dr's to give us a list before for the Embassy, the nurse literally scribbled a note on prescription type paper and that was it. I could have wrote that!
Yes, we had to ask repeatedly to get a "real" doctor's letter on headed paper (charge - 30GBP) after the nurse printed out a useless slip of paper with no identifying marks on it and told us that was all they could do.

The school won't ask for a blood test. They just need to show that they complied to the letter of the law - they don't really care. Just give them supporting documents and it'll all be fine.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 3:51 am
Just Joined

SunnyDave is on a distinguished road

Just before I left, I got a photcopy of all my Doctors notes (I'd been at the same surgery for 36 years) and brought them with me. It covered EVERYTHING, vaccinations, every time I was taken to the Doc's as a kid, the works. They even gave me the shots I needed for the Visa and added those to the notes. They only charged 10 quid as well......bargain ;o)

Dave
Old Apr 15th 2004, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

I've just had a call from my doctors - they've printed out all the computerised info for myself, my wife and our three children, and photocopied the written notes for my wife and myself (which in my case would go back quite a few years).

Mind you, they've charged me £72 for doing it !!
Old Apr 15th 2004, 5:26 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

That amount isn't bad, Vern, I think the going rate is 15 pounds per letter and you have 5 people.

djb, you are right in the fact that the school won't ask for a blood test but you can have one done (if you have no proof of having a disease or immunisation against a disease) and if it shows immunisation is present then the school will accept that.