Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Distance Learning Degree from USA

Wikiposts

UK Distance Learning Degree from USA

Old Jul 1st 2007, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Distance Learning Degree from USA

I am contemplating undertaking a Masters Degree through a UK University while living in the US. My reasons for the UK degree (over a US one) is that my vocational experience allows me to bypass the Bachelors requirement, and I can also apply 3000 pounds worth of educational credit towards it (gained in the army).

Scanning through the prospectus, I see they have two different fee schedules - one for the UK/EU and one for the rest of the world (which is substantially higher (an extra 1600 pounds over the 2 years).

Does anyone have any experience of this kind of thing and know which category I would fall into there? I am guessing it would be the rest of the world, despite being a British citizen?
Old Jul 1st 2007, 1:42 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Distance Learning Degree from USA

Originally Posted by Dan725
I am contemplating undertaking a Masters Degree through a UK University while living in the US. My reasons for the UK degree (over a US one) is that my vocational experience allows me to bypass the Bachelors requirement, and I can also apply 3000 pounds worth of educational credit towards it (gained in the army).

Scanning through the prospectus, I see they have two different fee schedules - one for the UK/EU and one for the rest of the world (which is substantially higher (an extra 1600 pounds over the 2 years).

Does anyone have any experience of this kind of thing and know which category I would fall into there? I am guessing it would be the rest of the world, despite being a British citizen?
I think Bob's missus is doing something like that. I expect he'll be along at some point today, but you could always send him a PM.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Starbucks66 is just really niceStarbucks66 is just really niceStarbucks66 is just really niceStarbucks66 is just really niceStarbucks66 is just really niceStarbucks66 is just really niceStarbucks66 is just really niceStarbucks66 is just really niceStarbucks66 is just really nice

It is the rest of the world, my company picks up the extra cost for me so it’s not to bad.

I’m studying with the OU and even though its distance learning many course have tutorials and residential schools in them. When I was in the UK I attended these and they were very helpful. Now I’m in the US it’s hard with out the face to face contact, although saying that the tutor is there on the end of the phone if needed.

From what I gather some courses at the OU are going truly distance learning. With no face to face contact. I would imagine these are much better if you are in the US.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 12:36 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725

Usually the fees payable are based on residency and not nationality so despite being British, if you live in the US, you may end up paying more than a home or EU student.

I'm sure the admissions office at the univ. could answer your question too.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies - this course is 100% distance, although they do offer for you to come in and discuss various things.

I am now wondering if I could get away with the lower fees if I use a correspondance address in the UK?
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 10:21 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget to check to see if you can write off the fees against tax...