British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   uk degree conversion to us (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/uk-degree-conversion-us-685257/)

G-Funk Sep 14th 2010 3:18 am

uk degree conversion to us

Hello everyone, i just read many threads on uk to us degree conversions and seem to have noticed that it's pretty much down to the state and the company to decide how good your uk degree is.

I study for a 3 year BSc degree in Geophysics in the East Anglia university in the UK. I have finished 2 years and am about to start my final year.

However, my uni requires a minimum pass of 80 credits out of 120 total for each academic year adding up to 240 at least (and this is regardless of your overall degree mark !!!) So far i have passed 200 credits meaning about 50 US credits. Considering i pass all the minimum 240 credits how would that translate in a US degree, would it be a BS or an ordinary degree or nothing???

Also, would studying for a masters (MSc) in the UK reflect only as BS degree in the US?

Thanks in advance,
G

dunroving Sep 14th 2010 11:39 am

Re: uk degree conversion to us

Originally Posted by G-Funk (Post 8846460)
Hello everyone, i just read many threads on uk to us degree conversions and seem to have noticed that it's pretty much down to the state and the company to decide how good your uk degree is.

I study for a 3 year BSc degree in Geophysics in the East Anglia university in the UK. I have finished 2 years and am about to start my final year.

However, my uni requires a minimum pass of 80 credits out of 120 total for each academic year adding up to 240 at least (and this is regardless of your overall degree mark !!!) So far i have passed 200 credits meaning about 50 US credits. Considering i pass all the minimum 240 credits how would that translate in a US degree, would it be a BS or an ordinary degree or nothing???

Also, would studying for a masters (MSc) in the UK reflect only as BS degree in the US?

Thanks in advance,
G

So, you can now get a UK degree if you fail one-third of your coursework?

UK masters would normally transfer across as a masters, not a bachelors.

Bob Sep 14th 2010 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 8847175)
So, you can now get a UK degree if you fail one-third of your coursework?

It's usually been that way, but bottom grade would get you a pass which is basically an NHD, which is a big difference to a first or a 2-2 even.

chrisbeale Sep 14th 2010 6:23 pm

In Physics we only had to pass (35%) the core modules that you'd expect from such a degree, all the abstract courses let you pass with any mark. And an MSc should be recognised.

Degree equivalence is hard, it was either McKinsey or BCG that advised putting a class rank instead of some arbitrary conversion, I think that's a good way to go.

dunroving Sep 15th 2010 12:22 pm

Crikey, our students have to pass every single class to get their degree ...

chrisbeale Sep 15th 2010 10:15 pm

Sorry I should say that's the case in the final year, if you don't get 35% in each module in other years it's retakes then it's repeating the year. In the final year they chuck you out with whatever mark you get.

dunroving Sep 16th 2010 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by chrisbeale (Post 8851424)
Sorry I should say that's the case in the final year, if you don't get 35% in each module in other years it's retakes then it's repeating the year. In the final year they chuck you out with whatever mark you get.

OK, I guess that's a bit like the 4th year of an Honours degree here (Scotland) ... except they get the chance to re-sit classes

Actually, the university has just introduced a "compensation" scheme whereby a student can "carry" a fail in certain classes if their marks are high enough in other classes (so, if they fail a class with a 35% mark, they will be allowed to progress with a "Pass" marked agianst the module,but a failing mark (35%) on the record ... unless they want to re-sit the class to tray to pass it at re-sits (in order to bump up their overall % for Honours, etc.

Way too complicated if you ask me, A fail should be a fail and require a resit ...

robin1234 Sep 16th 2010 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 8850042)
Crikey, our students have to pass every single class to get their degree ...

I think where I went to University you got your degree if you ate a certain number of dinners in Hall, and "kept" nine terms (that is, slept in college at least three-quarters of the nights in each of those terms.) I don't remember anything about passing classes.