Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

uk degree conversion to us

uk degree conversion to us

Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:18 am
Just Joined

G-Funk is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking uk degree conversion to us

Hello everyone, i just read many threads on uk to us degree conversions and seem to have noticed that it's pretty much down to the state and the company to decide how good your uk degree is.

I study for a 3 year BSc degree in Geophysics in the East Anglia university in the UK. I have finished 2 years and am about to start my final year.

However, my uni requires a minimum pass of 80 credits out of 120 total for each academic year adding up to 240 at least (and this is regardless of your overall degree mark !!!) So far i have passed 200 credits meaning about 50 US credits. Considering i pass all the minimum 240 credits how would that translate in a US degree, would it be a BS or an ordinary degree or nothing???

Also, would studying for a masters (MSc) in the UK reflect only as BS degree in the US?

Thanks in advance,
G
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:39 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk degree conversion to us

Originally Posted by G-Funk
Hello everyone, i just read many threads on uk to us degree conversions and seem to have noticed that it's pretty much down to the state and the company to decide how good your uk degree is.

I study for a 3 year BSc degree in Geophysics in the East Anglia university in the UK. I have finished 2 years and am about to start my final year.

However, my uni requires a minimum pass of 80 credits out of 120 total for each academic year adding up to 240 at least (and this is regardless of your overall degree mark !!!) So far i have passed 200 credits meaning about 50 US credits. Considering i pass all the minimum 240 credits how would that translate in a US degree, would it be a BS or an ordinary degree or nothing???

Also, would studying for a masters (MSc) in the UK reflect only as BS degree in the US?

Thanks in advance,
G
So, you can now get a UK degree if you fail one-third of your coursework?

UK masters would normally transfer across as a masters, not a bachelors.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
So, you can now get a UK degree if you fail one-third of your coursework?
It's usually been that way, but bottom grade would get you a pass which is basically an NHD, which is a big difference to a first or a 2-2 even.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

chrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to all

In Physics we only had to pass (35%) the core modules that you'd expect from such a degree, all the abstract courses let you pass with any mark. And an MSc should be recognised.

Degree equivalence is hard, it was either McKinsey or BCG that advised putting a class rank instead of some arbitrary conversion, I think that's a good way to go.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 12:22 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey, our students have to pass every single class to get their degree ...
Old Sep 15th 2010, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

chrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to all

Sorry I should say that's the case in the final year, if you don't get 35% in each module in other years it's retakes then it's repeating the year. In the final year they chuck you out with whatever mark you get.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 12:26 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by chrisbeale
Sorry I should say that's the case in the final year, if you don't get 35% in each module in other years it's retakes then it's repeating the year. In the final year they chuck you out with whatever mark you get.
OK, I guess that's a bit like the 4th year of an Honours degree here (Scotland) ... except they get the chance to re-sit classes

Actually, the university has just introduced a "compensation" scheme whereby a student can "carry" a fail in certain classes if their marks are high enough in other classes (so, if they fail a class with a 35% mark, they will be allowed to progress with a "Pass" marked agianst the module,but a failing mark (35%) on the record ... unless they want to re-sit the class to tray to pass it at re-sits (in order to bump up their overall % for Honours, etc.

Way too complicated if you ask me, A fail should be a fail and require a resit ...
Old Sep 16th 2010, 6:10 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Crikey, our students have to pass every single class to get their degree ...
I think where I went to University you got your degree if you ate a certain number of dinners in Hall, and "kept" nine terms (that is, slept in college at least three-quarters of the nights in each of those terms.) I don't remember anything about passing classes.