Reload this Page >

uk debt companies

uk debt companies

Old Mar 14th 2002, 12:52 am
K
BE Enthusiast

K is an unknown quantity at this point
Default uk debt companies

I did write to some of the companies that i owe money to in the UK debts after divorce that kinda thing and two have responded, and were very nice but told me that i must continue paying them as usual. I am a bit behind on this, but i am paying them, but supposing one issues a CCJ against me what then ? .

Can i legally tell them to go to hell and not pay them? There is one company in the UK that is harrassing my ex husband and they threatened to harrass him for the next 10 years.

I called them and told them to leave him alone, they demanded my home address and my home phone number so that they could contact me instead...i told them no your not having it. I can do that cant I? It wont go against me on any immigration issues will it? We are currently dealing with the AOS.

By the way for the record the one that is threatening my ex husband is Wescott Finance (just in case there are anymore like me on this board)

Thanks
Old Mar 14th 2002, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: uk debt companies

Just tell them how you propose to pay instead of asking them.
Old Mar 14th 2002, 1:36 pm
Rag Bag

When I was married to my E-wife she had Westcott chasing her for money, I can't
remember whaat it was for quite, it was either for Avon Cosmentics, or for the
open University, or Nursing Bursary, or Britania Music Store I can;t remember
what? though.

I guess if the Debt was in your X's name only then you would not be help liable.

INS do not do credit checks on you back bround, but if you have any debts with the
council or government then I would either get these paid or make a payment agreement.

Old Mar 14th 2002, 2:35 pm
Xtrynytix

>Can i legally tell them to go to hell and not pay them? There is one company in the
    >UK that is harrassing my ex husband and they threatened to harrass him for the next
    >10 years.
    >
    >I called them and told them to leave him alone, they demanded my home address and my
    >home phone

>number so that they could contact me instead...i told them no your not having it. I
    >can do that cant I? It wont go against me on any immigration issues will it? We are
    >currently dealing with the AOS.

>By the way for the record the one that is threatening my ex husband is Wescott
    >Finance (just in case there are anymore like me on this board)
    >

To be honest with you, you seem rather peeved that they would dare ask for their
money back.

If you owe these or this company money, don't you think it only fair that they would
want you to pay it back?

Of course you can just 'disappear' without a trace. I've seen it said on here many
times that it would be far more costly for a company to persue an order overseas. I
would expect they'd just let it drop. But don't you think that's a tad wrong of you
to have goods/services and then expect not to pay for them?

I think your best course of action is to get in touch and like has been suggested,
make arrangements with them to pay a set amount and stick to it.

That way, they get their money back, to which they are entitled and you get to sleep
without a guilty conscience )

Regardless, none of us can expect to go through life borrowing and not paying it
back. Tis not fair on those that do keep to their arrangements.

Old Mar 14th 2002, 8:22 pm
K
BE Enthusiast

K is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Let me clarify a little on this. I wrote to these companies before i left the uk for the USA. They did get the letters as they have replied to me via my husbands po box address. I told them in the letters that i would continue paying them as per the same agreement that i had with them when i was still in the uk. Two have been great about this except for wescott finance. They too had a letter from me asking them for payment arrangements i/e bank account numbers or an address that i could send a money order to. Instead of replying with a sensible answer or arrangement they go and persue and threaten my ex husband instead for monies that i owe them.

Wescott finance, i had to call them to leave my ex husband alone and pointed out to them that the harrassment was in fact illegal, they called my ex mother in law too, and my mother, even though they already had a contact address for me. I told them that if they wish to contact me then to write to the address that i had stated in the letter to them and i also repeated it to them over the phone. God , i did this in good faith, here, and before i left and i get a mouthful for doing what i thought was right for me and for them. Lee (the lady i spoke too) was extremely rude and uncompromising, even though i had never missed a payment to them while i was in the UK. I was just waiting on their payment arrangements for me to contact them from here. Anyway that is when she went into her tirade about demanding my home phone number and my home address and i said no, she already had the po box number and i didnt think it was necessary.

LOL i wasnt trying to bunk off from paying what i owed i just wanted a bloody payment arrangement of how and where to send it.

Anyone here been met with the same or similar problem?

LOL and Xtrynytix this is why i sound peeved
Old Mar 15th 2002, 1:05 am
Xtrynytix

>LOL and Xtrynytix this is why i sound peeved
    >

LOL rbay. You also gave the impression you were trying to wriggle out of paying )

Especially when you asked if it were legal to do so. You seemed quite indignant that
they should wish to see the colour of their money.

If you ever come across a law that entitles you to borrow money and then not pay it
back, tell me hon )

Old Mar 15th 2002, 4:35 pm
Smith

I owe my old electric company just £70 ish, and they were sending me letters from
credit collections companys here in the US, well I just called them, and said that I
weren't legally alowed to work here in the USA, and that I expect to get my EAD in
the next 3 months, and they were fine about it, just said they would stop the Credit
Company from bothering me, and to call them when I was working to make paymnet on
the account.

Well I should be getting my EAD in 2 weeks or so, and then I when I am working I will
make some kind of arrangement to pay them in the near future to get them paid.

I don;t understand how Westcott go the telephone number + address for you X Husband,
and X mother-in-Law, I guess he must have been on the dinance agreement you had, and
Motehr-in-law as a Sponser?

Old Mar 15th 2002, 9:35 pm
Sean

Good lord, listen to these damn fools in here, Don't listen to any of this Crap. It
will not in anyway affect you with ins or your credit rating here, I like you was in
the same situation, I tried to work out arrangements with them they wanted to be
a-holes about it, so I told them to go F- em selves. Dont' worry about it. They can
legally rob you blind for yrs with interest, so I always enjoy seeing these a-hole
company's getting shafted back! Tell them to go to hell!

"Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I owe my old electric company just £70 ish, and they were sending me letters from
    > credit collections companys here in the US, well I just called them, and said that
    > I weren't legally alowed to work here in the USA, and that I expect to get my EAD
    > in the next 3 months, and they were fine about it, just said they would stop the
    > Credit Company from bothering me, and to call them when I was working to make
    > paymnet on the account.
    >
    > Well I should be getting my EAD in 2 weeks or so, and then I when I am working I
    > will make some kind of arrangement to pay them in the near future to get them paid.
    >
    > I don;t understand how Westcott go the telephone number + address for you X
    > Husband, and X mother-in-Law, I guess he must have been on the dinance agreement
    > you had, and Motehr-in-law as a Sponser?

Old Mar 16th 2002, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Britavia is an unknown quantity at this point

I too have been in the same position. I owed money to 3 different institutions in UK whilst here in the USA. At the time, I couldn't afford to pay anything back to them. I talked to a CAB advisor in UK twice on two different occasions (both times they were ex-bankers) and each just laughed and said there's really nothing they can do and that they would most likely write it off after a while anyway. Of course, if u owed several million, it would be a different matter ;-)

What I did was first ensure that they could only deal with me by sending a letter stating that they were my debts and nobody else's and asked them if they would accept XX pounds per month as a payment arragement. They accepted and I've been paying that ever since. That was 4 years ago.

The INS does not run any kind of credit checks but the post about any Government money owing might be a different matter.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 1:05 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Xtrynytix
    >Can i legally tell them to go to hell and not pay them? There is one company in the
    >UK that is harrassing my ex husband and they threatened to harrass him for the next
    >10 years.
    >
    >I called them and told them to leave him alone, they demanded my home address and my
    >home phone

>number so that they could contact me instead...i told them no your not having it. I
    >can do that cant I? It wont go against me on any immigration issues will it? We are
    >currently dealing with the AOS.

>By the way for the record the one that is threatening my ex husband is Wescott
    >Finance (just in case there are anymore like me on this board)
    >

To be honest with you, you seem rather peeved that they would dare ask for their
money back.

If you owe these or this company money, don't you think it only fair that they would
want you to pay it back?

Of course you can just 'disappear' without a trace. I've seen it said on here many
times that it would be far more costly for a company to persue an order overseas. I
would expect they'd just let it drop. But don't you think that's a tad wrong of you
to have goods/services and then expect not to pay for them?

I think your best course of action is to get in touch and like has been suggested,
make arrangements with them to pay a set amount and stick to it.

That way, they get their money back, to which they are entitled and you get to sleep
without a guilty conscience )

Regardless, none of us can expect to go through life borrowing and not paying it
back. Tis not fair on those that do keep to their arrangements.
Bollocks to that. Credit companies make huge amounts of money out of convicing all of us to borrow borrow borrow tough luck if they lose out some times. They factor loss into their business plan and get tax deduction anyhow. Try being in bsuiness yourself some time and when you go bust because people dont pay you for work you did then come back and lecture the rest of us about bad debts. Lifes a bitch and screwq them before they screw you you are a fool if you think otherwise and it cost me my house to find that lesson out!

regards,

Duncan
Old Jun 5th 2003, 2:48 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by 17782023
Bollocks to that. Credit companies make huge amounts of money out of convicing all of us to borrow borrow borrow tough luck if they lose out some times. They factor loss into their business plan and get tax deduction anyhow. Try being in bsuiness yourself some time and when you go bust because people dont pay you for work you did then come back and lecture the rest of us about bad debts. Lifes a bitch and screwq them before they screw you you are a fool if you think otherwise and it cost me my house to find that lesson out!

regards,

Duncan
Bitter, table for one, bitter, table for one - your table is ready now Sir.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 3:01 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Patrick
Bitter, table for one, bitter, table for one - your table is ready now Sir.
Maybe you have had an easier life than me so dont be so judgemental, i have tried my damndest to make a success of my life from a tough start, single mum, benefits, periodically homeless,alcoholism etc. You may have been lucky, whats the hardest thing ever happened to you? car wouldnt start on cold day perhaps! but dont criticise me because my life has left me a little jaded.

regards,

Duncan
Old Jun 5th 2003, 3:15 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you have had an easier life than me so dont be so judgemental, i have tried my damndest to make a success of my life from a tough start, single mum, benefits, periodically homeless,alcoholism etc. You may have been lucky, whats the hardest thing ever happened to you? car wouldnt start on cold day perhaps! but dont criticise me because my life has left me a little jaded.

regards,

Duncan
I didn't realise your life was tougher than anyone elses, sorry. I now understand how running away and becoming a USC ASAP will help you escape the mistakes of your past and make you a completly different person. Your bitterness is acceptable because your mother is responsible for every bad decision you ever made in your life.

I have to go now as the Butler is bringing elevensees to me at the pool, and then I have a swedish massage. The good news is that I have issues with my upbringing because Father didn't hug me!

Just stay away from rifles and clock towers

Patrick
Old Jun 5th 2003, 3:22 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Originally posted by Patrick
I didn't realise your life was tougher than anyone elses, sorry. I now understand how running away and becoming a USC ASAP will help you escape the mistakes of your past and make you a completly different person. Your bitterness is acceptable because your mother is responsible for every bad decision you ever made in your life.

I have to go now as the Butler is bringing elevensees to me at the pool, and then I have a swedish massage. The good news is that I have issues with my upbringing because Father didn't hug me!

Just stay away from rifles and clock towers

Patrick
Not as hard a life as some and harder than others, (probably yours). I dont offer it as an excuse but rather to explain why i am little jaded. I dont blame my mother at all she did her best in a bad situation she could do no more. Its not about running away either but rather a chance for a fresh start and perhaps some redemption or possibly even happiness in a new country.

Your a bit of a dick arent you really? You think that we all have to come up to your mighty standards and be perfect little drones or somhow we are bitter or less than you. I hope something shitty happens to you one day and you find out how tough it can be just to survive.

I love rifles and i am a great shot(4 years in the british army taught me something, what about you did you serve your country before you ran away to the USA?).

enjoy your massage,

Duncan.

ps.On reflection perhaps i am being overly harsh towards you Patrick. I dont know you and cant judge you so maybe you should take the same appoach towards me as well. Still squabbling on here can be quite theraputic actually!

Last edited by Duncs; Jun 5th 2003 at 4:09 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 4:09 pm
Pagan Sex God

Not as hard a life as some and harder than others, (probably yours). I dont offer it as an excuse but rather to explain why i am little jaded. I dont blame my mother at all she did her best in a bad situation she could do no more. Its not about running away either but rather a chance for a fresh start and perhaps some redemption or possibly even happiness in a new country.

Your a bit of dick arent you really? You think that we all have to come up to your mighty standards and be perfect little drones or somhow we are bitter or less than you. I hope something shitty happens to you one day and you find out how tough it can be just to survive.

I love rifles and i am a great shot(4 years in the british army taught me something, what about you did you serve your country before you ran away to the USA?).

enjoy your massage,

Duncan.
At least you can take a joke though, eh. I don't have to justify my life or anything it. I may have had an easy life or I may have had a hard life. I have not judged you, I just made a point of how bitter you where and then how you tried to blame others for your own mistakes.

Everyone knows that the only place you can find redemption is the US. You are not only bitter you are hateful and hope bad things happen to others, you don't need redemption you need a ****ing exorcism.

First you escaped into the army and now to america, run away, run away!

Patrick

PS Not that it should matter a bit but I joined the army at 16 and left 12 years later, I could hack it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.