Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Credit effect in USA

UK Credit effect in USA

Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Credit effect in USA

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Yes. Patrick's second-hand info is complete balls.

Under the England & Wales DPA, UK data processors can't send personal data overseas unless the recipient is either a) in a country where data protection legislation is equivalent or b) where the recipient has signed a Safe Harbour agreement.

The US federal legislation is not good enough (or, depending on your opinion, is too good) for the USA to fall in category a), so b) has to kick in. A Safe Harbour agreement can just be a letter between two companies that says "we promise to treat your data properly".

Having said all that, I doubt that they bother to cross-reference credit files between the UK and the US as a matter of course. The effort compared to the benefit would be minuscule.

In any case, if they really want your money, they'll sue you for it, obtain a judgment against you, and enforce it in the US. Otherwise people would just borrow ten million quid and do a bunk to Florida.

Edit to add: http://www.export.gov/safeharbor/SafeHarborInfo.htm
I would have thought it would be possible to enforce, if they wanted it bad enough.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I would have thought it would be possible to enforce, if they wanted it bad enough.
I have worked to retail bank in a recovery environment and let me tell you
all (not that you would not know) but it costs money to recover a debt.
So all the collection department salaries,calls made,letters sent etc etc.

Also, in AU (not sure if in UK/US) there is a minimum amount that needs to be
over due for a minimum span to be able to report that on the credit file.
There are tougher requirements (well not tougher but atleast more number) especially
for telecom industry to be able to report someone to the credit file.

I used to draw strategies to recover overdue payments and say for amounts less than
500$ (e.g. only) after calling 3 times and 3 letters were sent we used to just
report that on their credit file (assume that all credit requirements met).

Now tell me for 500$, would it be viable for a company to sell this credit to overseas
collection agents (by the way the agents are bound by the origination country laws thats
my understanding). Would the company waste more time and effort to report it to US
go thru courts etc etc for such a small amount ?

Of course greater the amount greater the chances company will pressure for their money
and will use all avenues. But the thing is, it comes down to what is worth the $$$
that are going to be spent...cost vs. benefit.

OP raised if the credit record is transferable, dont have an answer to that but some
posts talking about selling UK debt to US and then taking to court etc etc I think
is rubbish given that its only a telephone bill (so what 50$ a month??) and it would
be complete waste of time to go thru courts. ( I also assume like AU courts will charge
fees to even file the case so even more costs !!!!)
Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Except Pat seems to be saying that is in violation of some internal laws - and data protection act.

What you're saying would make sense to me - except (unless I am misunderstanding) Pat is saying it is somehow illega.
The credit agencies couldn't provide the info over here, but they are more than allowed to sell the debt and the owner of the new debt is more than allowed to wreck your new credit history in order to claim back the money now owed to them.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well as mentioned, selling a debt is only worth it if it's a large sum, once it's done your US credit history could be ruined, pretty easy, as a simple late payment of a bill could ding your score, but it's very hard to build up a good score in this country.

Originally Posted by E3only
I have worked to retail bank in a recovery environment and let me tell you
all (not that you would not know) but it costs money to recover a debt.
So all the collection department salaries,calls made,letters sent etc etc.

Also, in AU (not sure if in UK/US) there is a minimum amount that needs to be
over due for a minimum span to be able to report that on the credit file.
There are tougher requirements (well not tougher but atleast more number) especially
for telecom industry to be able to report someone to the credit file.

I used to draw strategies to recover overdue payments and say for amounts less than
500$ (e.g. only) after calling 3 times and 3 letters were sent we used to just
report that on their credit file (assume that all credit requirements met).

Now tell me for 500$, would it be viable for a company to sell this credit to overseas
collection agents (by the way the agents are bound by the origination country laws thats
my understanding). Would the company waste more time and effort to report it to US
go thru courts etc etc for such a small amount ?

Of course greater the amount greater the chances company will pressure for their money
and will use all avenues. But the thing is, it comes down to what is worth the $$$
that are going to be spent...cost vs. benefit.

OP raised if the credit record is transferable, dont have an answer to that but some
posts talking about selling UK debt to US and then taking to court etc etc I think
is rubbish given that its only a telephone bill (so what 50$ a month??) and it would
be complete waste of time to go thru courts. ( I also assume like AU courts will charge
fees to even file the case so even more costs !!!!)
Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The credit agencies couldn't provide the info over here, but they are more than allowed to sell the debt and the owner of the new debt is more than allowed to wreck your new credit history in order to claim back the money now owed to them.
So you are implying that the new owner can destroy the credit in a country where
the new owner is (US) as well as the country where the debt originated(UK) ?
Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thumbs down Re: UK Credit effect in USA

Originally Posted by Bob
Well as mentioned, selling a debt is only worth it if it's a large sum, once it's done your US credit history could be ruined, pretty easy, as a simple late payment of a bill could ding your score, but it's very hard to build up a good score in this country.
Totally understand the importance of credit history...more so in US than here may be.
But it's legality of one can screw my credit in a country where it did not originate..??
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

So you are implying that the new owner can destroy the credit in a country where
the new owner is (US) as well as the country where the debt originated(UK) ?
The original debt owner in the UK would wreck your UK history with a court order jobby, debt sold to a US collections agency, they (new debt owner) can do the same to your new US history.

It's a case of a debt owed, doesn't matter how it was acquired or came about, so if you don't work with them to get a payment going them your history could be toast, which is very easy to do over in the US.

Just a matter of how much the debt is for, it won't be worth it for a few hundred squid, but a few K, it could well be worth the hassle...doesn't mean it'll happen, but it could.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:27 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

If the UK company can find someone to sell it to, even if it's for 10% of the face value, it wouldn't surprise me if they would.

But they would have to know to look for you in the US, obviously.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thought - don't they need your SSN to put it on a US credit report? And unless you tell them, how would they know?
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

If the UK company can find someone to sell it to, even if it's for 10% of the face value, it wouldn't surprise me if they would.

Debt usually sells around 20-25% of value to outside agent
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
The original debt owner in the UK would wreck your UK history with a court order jobby, debt sold to a US collections agency, they (new debt owner) can do the same to your new US history.

It's a case of a debt owed, doesn't matter how it was acquired or came about, so if you don't work with them to get a payment going them your history could be toast, which is very easy to do over in the US.

Just a matter of how much the debt is for, it won't be worth it for a few hundred squid, but a few K, it could well be worth the hassle...doesn't mean it'll happen, but it could.

Are you basing this on legal rights/facts or just the way you know US law works?

I find it very hard to digest this. . . of course it would depend on money owed ...

Not saying it can't happen but just need to know if it can then what law and any
links...

Sorry if this has been mentioned in the thread and I may have missed it..
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

And that's where a lot of the cost goes before they can sell the debt, which is why for small sums it isn't worth it...
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Are you basing this on legal rights/facts or just the way you know US law works?

I find it very hard to digest this. . . of course it would depend on money owed ...

Not saying it can't happen but just need to know if it can then what law and any
links...

Sorry if this has been mentioned in the thread and I may have missed it..
It's from reading previous threads where it happens and from the missus who dealt with people getting into the shit because they were crap with credit cards and knowing the not so nice people employed to recover said debt, even new customers who were having issues from previous debt abroad - quite common, and we were talking one of the largest credit card companies in the US.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
It's from reading previous threads where it happens and from the missus who dealt with people getting into the shit because they were crap with credit cards and knowing the not so nice people employed to recover said debt, even new customers who were having issues from previous debt abroad - quite common, and we were talking one of the largest credit card companies in the US.
Fair enough - never worked for outside agents that we used to sell debt to. Not
surprised they would go to any length.....

Credit history in the western world is a tough game so I suppose no use in doing
anything that would mean a mark against it. .... ...
Old Aug 26th 2008, 2:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Fair enough - never worked for outside agents that we used to sell debt to. Not
surprised they would go to any length.....
With the missus, the UK bank was a separate entity to the US bank, but they would sell debt to the other once they were able to establish who was who...but usually for things over $10K or so, smaller debt would be written off as cost of business, well not always, but sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.