Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK citizen wanting to move to LA

UK citizen wanting to move to LA

Old May 11th 2010, 10:07 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen wanting to move to LA

Originally Posted by MandyNi
Not cheap is it Rene!! We're fortunate that because M. is considered on a TDY it's covered by his employer.
Thankfully for us, too, all of Sadegh's expenses in LA are tax deductable because the apartment is also his workshop that he's required to have there, since all his clients are in LA and won't ship the rugs to him in AZ.

My sister saw Sadegh's apartment for the first time this past weekend...she called it cute, charming, and vintage...until she found out it was $1,300 for that old, dinky place...LOL

Rene
Old May 11th 2010, 10:15 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
Just as a comparator. We're renting in LA because my other half is there temporarily for a year. It's a nice apartment in a reasonable enough area, small but new and two bedrooms. Rental is $2700 per month and I believe the one bedroom units are about $1800. That's a whole lot of $$$$ and doesn't include any other day to day costs.
Thats' quite high for an apartment, I'm guessing you are around Hollywood area?

We live out in the burbs, have a large, 3 bed detached with pool and its not much more than that.

Still alot more than what you would pay in the majority of areas in America though.
Old May 11th 2010, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky

We live out in the burbs, have a large, 3 bed detached with pool and its not much more than that.

Still alot more than what you would pay in the majority of areas in America though.
Unless you get a rent-controlled apartment in LA that sounds about right.
Old May 11th 2010, 11:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We paid $2,200 per month for an apartment in NJ 14 years ago...utilities not included.
Old May 11th 2010, 11:52 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Unless you get a rent-controlled apartment in LA that sounds about right.
We were talking about this at work the other day, most people I work with live in the 'burbs and pay under $1k for an apartment.
Old May 11th 2010, 1:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Bugger.

I'm living in the burbs and that kind of money won't get you much of a decent apartment, never mind a nice house....I'm rather lucky to be living in the pit that I am
Old May 11th 2010, 1:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

We were talking about this at work the other day, most people I work with live in the 'burbs and pay under $1k for an apartment.
People paying under a grand for an apartment around here usually are sharing it with 4-6 people
Old May 11th 2010, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pistol
LOL to the last post...
i think i may have to go for 3months and see what happens...
From what america seems like and from the amount of times i been there, it looks like a better way of life out there...

In the UK we got rubbish weather, sky high prices on everything, and tax set to rise in the next few years due to a rubbish government. PLUS there is no way in HELL i could afford to buy a house in London without cutting my limbs off for money...

I can afford to quit my job and see what happens for about 1 year but anything ater that i`ll defo need a job. But hopefully 3months out there should open my eyes if the place turns out to be rubbish....
All the points you make there (Apart from the weather but there are still weather extremes that you have to cope with) exist here especially in CA!
Old May 11th 2010, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Bugger.

I'm living in the burbs and that kind of money won't get you much of a decent apartment, never mind a nice house....I'm rather lucky to be living in the pit that I am
I think because LA and the surrounding area is so huge, you can get some real bargains if you are prepared to commute. We originally wanted to live around Burbank but could only get an apartment for our budget. Moving 20 miles out gives us a house.

You won't get anything great for under a grand, but if you are single and just want a pad there's lots out there. A quick look on Craigslist in the Valley gives you:

1 bed Apartment $899
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...736400471.html

2 bed Apartment $1,100
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...736376917.html

4 bed house $2,400
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...736267921.html
Old May 11th 2010, 2:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I think because LA and the surrounding area is so huge, you can get some real bargains if you are prepared to commute. We originally wanted to live around Burbank but could only get an apartment for our budget. Moving 20 miles out gives us a house.

You won't get anything great for under a grand, but if you are single and just want a pad there's lots out there. A quick look on Craigslist in the Valley gives you:

1 bed Apartment $899

2 bed Apartment $1,100

4 bed house $2,400
Not bad going....but it does look like a bunch of prisons though
Old May 11th 2010, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Are you looking to move over this way?
Old May 11th 2010, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
most things in LA look like a prison, as everything is a concrete box unless you have mega bucks to spend
Old May 11th 2010, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm well we're downtown Glendale, it is a new apartment (we're the first occupants of ours) and it is 2 bed/2 bath. It is a nice apartment, but it's still a lot of money for rent every month!
Old May 11th 2010, 8:58 pm
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

1 bed Apartment $899

2 bed Apartment $1,100

4 bed house $2,400
Those are really cheap apartments for LA County. However, it seems like they're all in San Fernando Valley...personally I'm not really big on that area, but to each his own liking.

A lot of apartment buildings in LA County have that certain "period" look to them...and perhaps they do look like prison boxes, but I got used to seeing them and didn't think much of that.

LA can be a nice city to live in, but it has always given me a sense of isolation -- everything's spread apart so much and not many places are within walking distance. Heck, people drive even for 1-2 blocks. It just never has that sense of an urban setting that I tend to like. The weather is dry in summer, and doesn't get *too* hot. It does rain quite a bit during winter and some years there were floods and my apt got all wet.

I can see some people feeling that it's an overrated city (I think it is as well), but if you ask a lot of Southern Californians, they can't imagine themselves living elsewhere.

On the other extreme, you have Manhattan which is densely packed with people, and you can hardly get much personal space. Driving's a pain in Manhattan but the borough is divided into neighborhoods and you can usually get what you need within walking distance.

Last edited by lifehouse51; May 11th 2010 at 9:00 pm.
Old May 12th 2010, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
Those are really cheap apartments for LA County. However, it seems like they're all in San Fernando Valley...personally I'm not really big on that area, but to each his own liking.

A lot of apartment buildings in LA County have that certain "period" look to them...and perhaps they do look like prison boxes, but I got used to seeing them and didn't think much of that.

LA can be a nice city to live in, but it has always given me a sense of isolation -- everything's spread apart so much and not many places are within walking distance. Heck, people drive even for 1-2 blocks. It just never has that sense of an urban setting that I tend to like. The weather is dry in summer, and doesn't get *too* hot. It does rain quite a bit during winter and some years there were floods and my apt got all wet.

I can see some people feeling that it's an overrated city (I think it is as well), but if you ask a lot of Southern Californians, they can't imagine themselves living elsewhere.

On the other extreme, you have Manhattan which is densely packed with people, and you can hardly get much personal space. Driving's a pain in Manhattan but the borough is divided into neighborhoods and you can usually get what you need within walking distance.
I couldn't agree more. Personally I love San Francisco for that compact city feeling. Unless you live in one of the beach communitites or Pasadena, everything else is just a massive sprawl with no personality.

We live in the Valley, and I often come across people who say 'I hate the valley, I never go there'. Other than it gets too bloody hot I don't really see the difference to any other generic community around here.

I have no plans to leave LA at the moment, but certainly won't be here for ever, I find it a soulless place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.