Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK citizen wanting to move to LA

UK citizen wanting to move to LA

Old May 10th 2010, 6:29 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen wanting to move to LA

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You won't get much of a house for $200-300,000 here. But I'd say it's cheaper than London.
If you can get finance for a mortgage of course, no credit history now is a bigger deal than it was even 4-5 years ago. Hubby still can't get a credit card, never mind a mortgage.
Old May 10th 2010, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistol
I`m very grateful for all the information you guys have provided me...

I guess i`ll have to continue holidaying in america... the american dream is So close yet so far...

off to cry
Why don't you look at getting a job with a firm in London that has offices/headquarters in the USA?

There are no guarantees of course, but you may then be able to get a transfer a few years down the line.

and by the way, if London house prices are out of your league then I don't much fancy your chances in LA either!
Old May 10th 2010, 7:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
With respect, you can look, you can interview, and you can accept a position. You can not, however, sign any papers to that effect.

Ian
Accepting a position would be signing the contract.
Old May 10th 2010, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
Semantics.

I have verbally accepted jobs before, usually as a signal to send the contract my way. Although in this scenario you may not yet have legally or officially accepted the job, you can see what Ian is getting at.
Old May 10th 2010, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Just as a comparator. We're renting in LA because my other half is there temporarily for a year. It's a nice apartment in a reasonable enough area, small but new and two bedrooms. Rental is $2700 per month and I believe the one bedroom units are about $1800. That's a whole lot of $$$$ and doesn't include any other day to day costs.
Old May 10th 2010, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
If you can get finance for a mortgage of course, no credit history now is a bigger deal than it was even 4-5 years ago. Hubby still can't get a credit card, never mind a mortgage.
Really? That's annoying.

We had a hell of a problem getting a mortgage even 4 years ago.
Old May 10th 2010, 10:31 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Really? That's annoying.

We had a hell of a problem getting a mortgage even 4 years ago.
It's quite funny really, he earns twice as much as me, I have 2 credit cards and a car loan, he can't get anything
Old May 10th 2010, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
It's quite funny really, he earns twice as much as me, I have 2 credit cards and a car loan, he can't get anything
He should start a domain name business - credit no problem.

*bitchy*
Old May 10th 2010, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

It`s true i will stick to it as its a dream, if it all turns out to be rubbish i`ll come running home to London.

Also if i go LA for example for 2 weeks and knock on IT companies doors or agenciesand give them my CV face to face and beg them to sponsor me?

Do you think this route is worth going for?
No harm in trying and setting up a series of "informational interviews" as Americans' like to call them. That's a fairly common practice for people looking to enter a new market to help them get the lay of the land and decide if it's worth persuing. With the recession I'm not sure how easy it will be to set anything up, however, but you can do a lot of the legwork via phone from the UK.

I worked on a beach club in Santa Monica one summer when I was a student. I fell in love with the California lifestyle, weather and attitude. About 6-7 years later, with much cajoling of senior manahers, I managed to set up a transfer from my company in London to its San Francisco subsidiary -- I came over to the Bay Area on vacation to visit some friends and set up an informational interview with the company just to make sure it was something I wanted to do. Some 14 years, three visas, one green card later I'm a US citizen (took the oath last week). Ironically I became a citizen so I can have to option to move back to Europe

For an IT job you might also want to consider Northern California, which is where tech is concentrated. Maybe set up some info interviews in both places... the drive from LA to SF is quite nice this time of year.

Personally I love LA, but many people hate it. IMO the weather is perfect (unless you go too far into the valleys that is), and the property market, although pricey, offers some spectacular options (friends just bought a gorgeous place in Beechwood Canyon -- below the Hollywood sign overlooking downtown LA). You just have to learn to love your car

Last edited by wordfool; May 10th 2010 at 5:41 pm.
Old May 10th 2010, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going to look for a high tech job, the San Francisco bay area (Silicon Valley) is where you want to look and not LA. The Silicon Valley contains such companies as Apple, HP, Cisco, Intel, Oracle, Adode, Google, Yahoo, Sun, eBay, and many other high tech companies. The following is a small list of companies in the valley.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Valley

Although the valley is starting to recover from the recession, it will probably be another 6 months or more before the companies will have major hiring.
Old May 11th 2010, 1:17 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Signing a contract certainly makes it official (and is not allowed), but you are allowed to accept a position.

Ian
Old May 11th 2010, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi yes i do still work for the International company, i work as an Network engineer, i have looked into moving via this company but there IT team have now moved to singapore.

Although i`ve seen the glitz and glamour of america on TV and i know going on holiday to america is totally different from working and living there, i really would like to make this move now, make my mistakes and if it dosen`t work come back to sunny old london....
Any chance you could move to Singapore too, then? If you are just a bit sick of the UK, as opposed to hell bent of living in LA, you could probably do a lot worse than a nice expat package to Singapore.
Old May 11th 2010, 6:23 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
Just as a comparator. We're renting in LA because my other half is there temporarily for a year. It's a nice apartment in a reasonable enough area, small but new and two bedrooms. Rental is $2700 per month and I believe the one bedroom units are about $1800. That's a whole lot of $$$$ and doesn't include any other day to day costs.
My husband works in West Hollywood and rents a very old, tiny, 1-bedroom apartment located over an oriental rug shop. He pays $1,300/month, not including utilities (gas, electric, water, telephone). Sattelite TV is included in the rent.

Rene
Old May 11th 2010, 6:51 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I guess i`ll have to continue holidaying in america... the american dream is So close yet so far...

off to cry
it's not that close mate.
Old May 11th 2010, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My husband works in West Hollywood and rents a very old, tiny, 1-bedroom apartment located over an oriental rug shop. He pays $1,300/month, not including utilities (gas, electric, water, telephone). Sattelite TV is included in the rent.

Rene
Not cheap is it Rene!! We're fortunate that because M. is considered on a TDY it's covered by his employer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.