Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK citizen wanting to move to LA

UK citizen wanting to move to LA

Old May 10th 2010, 1:11 am
Just Joined

Pistol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK citizen wanting to move to LA

It`s true i will stick to it as its a dream, if it all turns out to be rubbish i`ll come running home to London.

Also if i go LA for example for 2 weeks and knock on IT companies doors or agenciesand give them my CV face to face and beg them to sponsor me?

Do you think this route is worth going for?
Old May 10th 2010, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pistol
Also if i go LA for example for 2 weeks and knock on IT companies doors or agenciesand give them my CV face to face and beg them to sponsor me?

Personally, I don't think you will get very far doing this, unless you already know some people out there. I feel you will do better getting in with a company over here first and then moving.

By all means go on holiday, feel things out and try make contacts, but don't rely on anything happening straight away.
Old May 10th 2010, 2:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It`s true i will stick to it as its a dream, if it all turns out to be rubbish i`ll come running home to London.

The US economy is bad...firms are laying off employees and cutting back as much as possible. Why would they go to the trouble and expense of hiring you? Look at this as a long time plan...move to a company who have offices in the US...then try to secure a company transfer.
Old May 10th 2010, 3:54 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Brush up on your spelling, too. (I'm not being a dick, here. You need to sell yourself and I'm not going to hire someone who spells so poorly. Your resume would be straight in the circular file.)

And that's not necessarily true re: the bulk of immigration being on L1 or K visas. Most of the people I know, including myself, came on H1b.

Last edited by Octang Frye; May 10th 2010 at 4:08 am.
Old May 10th 2010, 4:00 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

LOL to the last post...
i think i may have to go for 3months and see what happens...
From what america seems like and from the amount of times i been there, it looks like a better way of life out there...

In the UK we got rubbish weather, sky high prices on everything, and tax set to rise in the next few years due to a rubbish government. PLUS there is no way in HELL i could afford to buy a house in London without cutting my limbs off for money...

I can afford to quit my job and see what happens for about 1 year but anything ater that i`ll defo need a job. But hopefully 3months out there should open my eyes if the place turns out to be rubbish....

Mate try living in America or Australia and you'll find that the UK is ****ing thailand to these countries. You can't afford a place in London??? well your unlikely to afford one in LA.
Old May 10th 2010, 4:27 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'm mistaken, but it was my understanding that you're not allowed to seek employment while on the VWP. That means no passing out your CV while on holiday.

I might have it backward and be thinking about the tourist visa to the UK, though.
Old May 10th 2010, 4:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

No one mention that link yet?

Reasons for moving to the US so far are pretty weak and superficial, rose tinted, buckets full of shit, I'm pretty sure you can see how that sentence might go...
Old May 10th 2010, 4:39 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
...Most of the people I know, including myself, came on H1b.
You didn't move in a economic glut with a mass surplus of bodies lying around though?

But, if the OP had some especially niche skills, he might have more of a chance than most IT bods who are a dime a dozen.

Also massively limiting yourself when selecting a specific location, much more chance if open to where ever you can find a job to just get out here.
Old May 10th 2010, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye

And that's not necessarily true re: the bulk of immigration being on L1 or K visas. Most of the people I know, including myself, came on H1b.
Oh yeah, forgot the H1B too.

Originally Posted by Weebie
Mate try living in America or Australia and you'll find that the UK is ****ing thailand to these countries. You can't afford a place in London??? well your unlikely to afford one in LA.
Yeah seriously that's what I said previously houses in L.A. that your neighbors are not members of drug cartels, and probably a smaller house run at least 200k-300k and up.

I'm gonna revise what I said cause I just looked it up on city-data, but plugging in random suburbs around L.A. and L.A. itself, it seems like houses below $300,000 are probably in a not-so-good neighborhood

Originally Posted by Bob
Also massively limiting yourself when selecting a specific location, much more chance if open to where ever you can find a job to just get out here.
But Bob that sunshine and warm winter is oh-so vital for your everyday life and the bikini-clad seƱoritas

Last edited by chrisfromusa; May 10th 2010 at 5:04 am.
Old May 10th 2010, 4:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by avanutria
Maybe I'm mistaken, but it was my understanding that you're not allowed to seek employment while on the VWP. That means no passing out your CV while on holiday.

I might have it backward and be thinking about the tourist visa to the UK, though.
You can look, can even interview, but you can't accept a position etc.

Then again, if you've got stacks of CV/Resumes, POE fella might think your not going to head home and say bye bye right there.
Old May 10th 2010, 5:19 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You can look, can even interview, but you can't accept a position etc.
With respect, you can look, you can interview, and you can accept a position. You can not, however, sign any papers to that effect.

Ian
Old May 10th 2010, 5:22 am
Just Joined

Pistol is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for the advice, i`m very grateful.
I will defo research into all options now, and see if my friends in LA can help me in any way.
Old May 10th 2010, 5:26 am
Just Joined

Krittersg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya - my 2 cents

1. LA area - is wicked expensive - sure it looks okay when you're thinking about the pound or euro compared to usd - but when you're living in an area - you're paid in accordance of what that area has to provide. When I moved from the Boston area to the LA area - I had to get a 20% increase in pay just to be making *the same* in terms of quality of life. Do tons of research before moving to a new area even inside the US.

2. Vacation time here does kinda suck - average company the first year you get one week - then it moves to 2-3 (eventually it moves up - Once I've been at this company for 10 years I'll get more time). Of course mileage may vary but - if you like your home at all you'll find all of your vacation tends to start going just to going home - not to going on adventures and exploring. Then imagine transferring your hard earned usd back home .

3. I agree - find another company and try doing a transfer. The company I work at has a TON of transfers - I know one person who wound her way here as her final goal - through that very method. It took her time but - she made it.

4. LA area - is hot - and doesn't have real seasons - some like it some don't. That is completely personal preference

Good luck!
Old May 10th 2010, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

davidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant future

Your most realistic options are either finding a UK job with a company that has US offices then one day requesting a transfer, or coming here on a student visa.

If you come on a student visa then you can look for an H1B sponsor but the job market is not great right now so you might find it difficult. An F1 visa does give you the option of work experience for 12 months (once you've completed at least 2 semesters of study), so that will help you.

If immigration reform ever happens, it +might+ include a provision giving automatic green cards to anyone who gets a masters degree in a science, tech, engineering or math related subject from a US institution. That would then be an easy way to come here if you can afford it.

Remember that getting here with either of those options is only stage 1.. you then face a long and uncertain wait to try and get your permanent residency and it can easily go wrong and result in you having to return to the UK.
Old May 10th 2010, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

You won't get much of a house for $200-300,000 here. But I'd say it's cheaper than London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.