Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Citizen - Employed full-time in UK, but freelancing for US-based company

UK Citizen - Employed full-time in UK, but freelancing for US-based company

Old Apr 28th 2016, 10:47 am
Just Joined

denton_f is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Citizen - Employed full-time in UK, but freelancing for US-based company

Hello all,

I am a UK citizen working full-time in the UK and paying UK tax via PAYE. I am also doing the occassional freelance work for a US-based firm. I happen to have a US bank account and Social Security number from spending some time in the US years ago.

My question is this: instead of having my freelance fees wired to my UK bank account and declaring to HMRC, would there be a benefit tax-wise to having them placed into my US account and leaving them there until I return to the US at some point down the line.

Does anybody know what the tax implications of this set-up might be?

Many thanks!
Old Apr 28th 2016, 4:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Citizen - Employed full-time in UK, but freelancing for US-based company

Others will chirp in shortly. My first thought is do you have work authorization for the US? If you are being paid by a US company, even though you are working remotely, I would think you need USCIS work authorization especially if you are being paid by the company directly and into a US bank account.

I would also assume that since you are earning money in the US you would be liable to complete a tax return annually.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Citizen - Employed full-time in UK, but freelancing for US-based company

Originally Posted by Rete
Others will chirp in shortly. My first thought is do you have work authorization for the US? If you are being paid by a US company, even though you are working remotely, I would think you need USCIS work authorization especially if you are being paid by the company directly and into a US bank account.
I don't understand. Why do you think that?
I would also assume that since you are earning money in the US you would be liable to complete a tax return annually.
I'm not sure that's automatically true either, though I'm less familiar with US taxation of US-derived income for non-resident aliens.

To answer the OP's actual question: There is no tax implication to when you convert the currrency, since the income tax is owed when you are paid, not when you convert the USD to GBP. There is a small tax implication, at least for US taxation (I don't know about UK), if you have a capital gain by waiting and then getting a better currency conversion rate than you would have done by immediate conversion.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 7:09 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Wrong.

You only need work authorisation if you are working physically in the United States.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 9:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both. That is why someone will be long shortly.

TA
Old Apr 29th 2016, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denton_f
My question is this: instead of having my freelance fees wired to my UK bank account and declaring to HMRC, would there be a benefit tax-wise to having them placed into my US account and leaving them there until I return to the US at some point down the line.

Does anybody know what the tax implications of this set-up might be?
Not declaring part of your income to HMRC amounts to tax evasion. You are tax resident in the UK and must declare your total worldwide earnings to HMRC. You have to pay UK tax on all your income. You can't pick and choose what proportion of your income you pay tax on.