Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK to Charlotte(NC)

UK to Charlotte(NC)

Old Sep 28th 2021, 11:17 am
Just Joined

newtraveller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK to Charlotte(NC)

Hello everyone, We are planning to move to charlotte (NC) early next year (subject to visa). In anticipation of us getting visa and travel is permitted, we are preparing for our move. We have been to Charlotte few times prior to pandemic and looked at different areas to live. I need some help on few things

1) Rental property - What documents will be needed to rent a property in NC?
2) Schools - We spoke to county school district and they require few documents (address proof, utility bill,photo ID etc..). If we have to wait for utility bill , we were wondering about the delay for kids to start school. Any thoughts on how to manage?
3) Car and Driving license - Can we use UK DL in NC? I read few posts and looks like we need to take written test?

Any help is much appreciated.
tx
Old Sep 28th 2021, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Charlotte(NC)

Hey and welcome! Charlotte is a nice city with a decent sized British community. Prior to covid there was even a bonfire night.

1) Rental property - What documents will be needed to rent a property in NC?
Depends on the landlord. You'll probably be asked for a good security deposit and pay stubs / proof of employment.

2) Schools - We spoke to county school district and they require few documents (address proof, utility bill,photo ID etc..). If we have to wait for utility bill , we were wondering about the delay for kids to start school. Any thoughts on how to manage?
Maybe try move in the summer holidays? Shouldn't take you that long to get all those documents though.

3) Car and Driving license - Can we use UK DL in NC? I read few posts and looks like we need to take written test?
You can use your UK licence for a limited time. I want to say 30 days. I was able to insure through Liberty Mutual. For your NC licence you'll need to take both a written and a driving test (though covid may have changed this). For the written you may want to do a quick practice to make sure you know the blood alcohol limits etc, for the driving portion just make a total stop at a stop sign. It's a joke to be honest.
Old Oct 1st 2021, 6:01 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a couple of hours down I85 in Greenville SC. Its very likely schools will require full immunization records before accepting kids here (AKA Certificate of Immunization) . I'm surprised it didnt come up in talking with the school board in your chosen destination. Some may also want to see proof of residency status. As far as proof of address goes you can likely use your rental agreement and a letter from your bank or employer as proof of address rather than wait for a utility bill, or they may just enroll you and wait for additional proof of address. Often there is flexibility around what they actually will accept vs what the rules say.

Most "nice" rental places will ask for references to try to ensure that you are the sort of tenant they want. Many do credit checks, which of course will draw a blank for a new resident. If you can get some sort of letter of character reference that may help, or else offer to put down a large security deposit. If you are coming for a specific job a letter from your employer may help, but I wont kid you that it isnt sometimes hard starting with a totally blank slate. At least I had canadian history when I came here, but even that was largely useless with one or two exceptions.

Good Luck

Last edited by iaink; Oct 1st 2021 at 6:05 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2021, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

You will probably have to post a deposit or hookup fee with utility company to get electricity put in your name. Do that in person at utility office and they will give you a receipt you can use. Make sure they put the property address on it.