Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Car Rental on US License (Issue Date Problem)

UK Car Rental on US License (Issue Date Problem)

Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Bonestable will become famous soon enough
Default Re: UK Car Rental on US License (Issue Date Problem)

I've noticed that in the small print when renting cars in the UK but have never had a problem - I must have done it four or five times, always with a license issued less than 12 months prior.

However I needed a driving history for another purpose. The local DMV was useless but I called the main licensing place in the state capital and they sent me a letter right away stating how long I had held a license in that state. So if you are worried you could try that. Otherwise if you kept a copy of your previous license I guess you could take that with you in case there was a problem.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

I just thought I would update this thread for the benefit of future searchers.

I had no problems at all with my current license despite it having an issue date of less than 1 year. I took a print out from the DMV stating the date I passed and my old expired UK license but neither were required. This was at Avis in Gatwick's South Terminal.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

California Dreamin' is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been back to England on many occasions and never had any problem with my US license. My sister in law once added me to her vehicle insurance, cot ten pounds for a month...no probles with that either, and I'm a senior citizen too.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by California Dreamin'
I've been back to England on many occasions and never had any problem with my US license. My sister in law once added me to her vehicle insurance, cot ten pounds for a month...no probles with that either, and I'm a senior citizen too.
Were you using a UK license when added to your sister-in-laws insurance? My parents were told that I couldn't be added as I now only have a valid US license. I'd have preferred to be on their car. Hiring from Avis cost over $400 for 17 days and they have overcharged me for the remainder to be paid which I am now trying to sort out. Bastards.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by WARPed
Were you using a UK license when added to your sister-in-laws insurance? My parents were told that I couldn't be added as I now only have a valid US license. I'd have preferred to be on their car. Hiring from Avis cost over $400 for 17 days and they have overcharged me for the remainder to be paid which I am now trying to sort out. Bastards.
No UK license was involved just a valid California license, and her insurance provider only requested the licensing state, and the license number. I guess they went online to check the validity.
When my wife gets back from a golf luncheon, I'll post the name of the insurane company that was involved. Plus I'll post the name of the rental company that we use when we need a car, much cheaper than Avis. Stay tuned or come back later.

Last edited by California Dreamin'; Oct 19th 2010 at 7:29 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by California Dreamin'
No UK license was involved just a valid California license, and her insurance provider only requested the licensing state, and the license number. I guess they went online to check the validity.
When my wife gets back from a golf luncheon, I'll post the name of the insurane company that was involved. Plus I'll post the name of the rental company that we use when we need a car, much cheaper than Avis. Stay tuned or come back later.
Thanks.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Best I can do right now as it's ten thirty in England and my wife doesn't want to call there this late......however Kemwel is the name of the rental company we rent from, www.kemwel.com you should be able to find them for a quote. Second....renting a car in England provided you use your Visa card.....Visa will cover your insurance for FREE....well they covered ours Good luck.
PS: 1-800-678-0678

Last edited by California Dreamin'; Oct 19th 2010 at 9:36 pm.