Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

UK best country in the world

Wikiposts

UK best country in the world

Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:05 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK best country in the world

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Please enlighten me as to your idea of humour.

Thanks
Seinfeld Im guessing.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:10 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Seinfeld Im guessing.
Was thinking friends myself
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:11 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Was thinking friends myself
Hey, that's just below the belt! I love Friends! It just shocks me that the Septics seem to like it.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flybyday
The whingeing going on by some (but certainly not all) of the folks here certainly helps support the "boring" status of Brits indicated in that poll.

Folks, there's a lot more to humour than mere "irony" and an extra U in the spelling.

Frankly, I'm much happier here as well, even in my goofy decrepit city...

Maybe the poll wouldn't make Brits seem so boring if they didn't always come across as so dour and negative. But then, based on previous postings I've read here, some expats find a way to make the 'murkins just seem "pollyannish" and "naive"--could it be that they're just happier and see the positive side of things?

That said, Americans do tend to have a few toward the rest of the world that is similar to the way New Yorkers view the rest of America (i.e., nothing else exists). No doubt that hurts their standing big time, as it would if any country were so oppressively dominant in day-to-day world events.

boring - whingeing - humour are these three things connected at all?

To be fair does anyone really care:

a) if other nations find us boring
b) whether the US is boring?
c) are we taking this all too seriously
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:13 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Hey, that's just below the belt! I love Friends! It just shocks me that the Septics seem to like it.
You even love the sickly sweet moralizing that they appear compelled to do at least once every 2 episodes.
Oh, and the sight of seeing 4 people with absolutely zero acting skills getting paid $5 million an episode grates with me somewhat. Call it jealousy if you will.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:14 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Big D
c) are we taking this all too seriously
I have 8 hours a day to fill - I am therefore entitled to take this and every other two bit thread in the forum as seriously as I would like.
Roll on 4pm
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:17 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I have 8 hours a day to fill - I am therefore entitled to take this and every other two bit thread in the forum as seriously as I would like.
Roll on 4pm
See!! if you moved to Florida ..its 4.17pm already ... another problem solved ... thank you EST...
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Brits are probably deemed to be "boring" cos we don't whoop and shout and high-five like idiots.
Anyone who has ever been to an average Yank houseparty, office do and just gone to a random bar will be all too well aware of who the real broing b*st*rds are.

Rule Britania
just curious, but what makes 'us' not boring?
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:19 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by woodsey
just curious, but what makes 'us' not boring?
Who is 'us' ???
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Who is 'us' ???
britsh people.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:30 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by woodsey
britsh people.
In my experience personal depth, opinions, etc. We know how to have a laugh (often at our own expense) without having to go on some pre-arranged 'activity' to engineer some.
I get the impression that people here keep themselves so busy with activities because if they stopped for a second they might actually have to think, maybe think about what they are doing in pursuit of a bigger house, bigger car, slimmer body, blah, blah, blah.
Once you scratch the surface there isn't much underneath.

Obviously this is just my personal opinion, but i think i remember in some of your other posts that whilst you are having a ball over here that most of your friends are not yanks, so maybe you knew the answer to your own question all along

Oh, and I know its ridiculous to make sweeping statements about whole nationalities - i am only basing my comments on my own personal experience.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:32 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

You even love the sickly sweet moralizing that they appear compelled to do at least once every 2 episodes.
Oh, and the sight of seeing 4 people with absolutely zero acting skills getting paid $5 million an episode grates with me somewhat. Call it jealousy if you will.
Jealousy if you will.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:33 am
Back where I belong!

In my experience personal depth, opinions, etc. We know how to have a laugh (often at our own expense) without having to go on some pre-arranged 'activity' to engineer some.
I get the impression that people here keep themselves so busy with activities because if they stopped for a second they might actually have to think, maybe think about what they are doing in pursuit of a bigger house, bigger car, slimmer body, blah, blah, blah.
Once you scratch the surface there isn't much underneath.

Obviously this is just my personal opinion, but i think i remember in some of your other posts that whilst you are having a ball over here that most of your friends are not yanks, so maybe you knew the answer to your own question all along

Oh, and I know its ridiculous to make sweeping statements about whole nationalities - i am only basing my comments on my own personal experience.
I, for one, completely & utterly agree with you.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:42 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I.
i have asked my usc hubby so many times about the humour here or lack of coz i so want to enjoy my time here and understand what makes these folks tick...he says what you said above, that we us brits laugh at ourselves at our own expense and don't care where as here they laugh at situations more...dunno if i'm expressing that right or if it's correct maybe someone can add to it.....what makes the americans laugh.....
Old Feb 21st 2006, 8:51 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i have asked my usc hubby so many times about the humour here or lack of coz i so want to enjoy my time here and understand what makes these folks tick...he says what you said above, that we us brits laugh at ourselves at our own expense and don't care where as here they laugh at situations more...dunno if i'm expressing that right or if it's correct maybe someone can add to it.....what makes the americans laugh.....
Seinfeld.

Are we going around in circles?!?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.