Reload this Page >

UK Benefits and Tax whilst in the USA

UK Benefits and Tax whilst in the USA

Old Jul 8th 2018, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

IntrepidBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Benefits and Tax whilst in the USA

Hello,

I'm a teacher, and going to be temporarily living in the US for just under 12 months on a J1 Teachers visa. I have children and wife on J2s. I'm just trying to wrap things up here in the UK and wondering about my UK benefits. I'm aware that I need to contact the Tax Office etc. notifying them when we leave. Does anybody know if they'll consider allowing child benefit to run for the kids seen as it's only a temporary relocation? I've had mixed responses.

Also, for my UK earnings in this task year April 2018 until when I leave my current teaching job at the end of August 2018. I will have paid too much tax for the year. When and how will I get that back?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure I'll have many more moving questions...
Old Jul 8th 2018, 4:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Benefits and Tax whilst in the USA

Hi, welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by IntrepidBrit
Does anybody know if they'll consider allowing child benefit to run for the kids seen as it's only a temporary relocation?
Nope. Only certain relocations count, and a year's working in the US doesn't seem to come under any of them. Details here - https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-abroad

For your tax, you'll fill in a P85 when you leave the UK and then get a refund once the number crunchers have sorted out what they owe you. https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-tax-right-p85

HTH, best of luck with the move.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Can I ask a potentially silly question, but when I'm in the USA is there any child benefit available for kids? Are do you have to be a permanent resident etc.? I know that different countries have different rules etc.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

The US income will be fully UK taxable because you will not be away long enough to break residence for UK tax purposes. You'll need to register for self-assessment and disclose the income to HMRC.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 10:06 am
Just Joined

How long do you have to be away?

Also seems unfair that I have to pay USA tax and UK tax on my income??
Old Jul 9th 2018, 10:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
The US income will be fully UK taxable because you will not be away long enough to break residence for UK tax purposes. You'll need to register for self-assessment and disclose the income to HMRC.
Ah good spot!

No child benefit in the US that I'm aware of OP, even for citizens/PR's, they just don't have the benefits system we have here at all. But those in the US will be able to advise you when they're along later. If you feel you need the extra to top up your income it might be worth starting a new thread with your proposed salary/benefits (including, vitally, the healthcare package you'll have) so that those in the same area can advise you on whether or not it's a liveable wage for a family.

Good luck.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 10:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

As per the link above - a full tax year or more.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Also, we may stay longer than the 12 months, it depends if the school want me and we feel comfortable. In an ideal world I'd like to say that we'd stay in the USA indefinitely, or until the 5 year of the J1 has been maxed out. We're not under the 2 year return system on our visa. But our initial visa is 1 year. Because that's the contract with the school.

*Sorry Chris saw your reply above.

Last edited by IntrepidBrit; Jul 9th 2018 at 10:18 am. Reason: Answered question above...
Old Jul 10th 2018, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Also, we may stay longer than the 12 months, it depends if the school want me and we feel comfortable. In an ideal world I'd like to say that we'd stay in the USA indefinitely, or until the 5 year of the J1 has been maxed out. We're not under the 2 year return system on our visa. But our initial visa is 1 year. Because that's the contract with the school.

*Sorry Chris saw your reply above.
you will be able to claim foreign tax credits so you don’t end up paying full taxes to both countries.

Having children as dependents should reduce your US taxes.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Having children as dependents should reduce your US taxes.
Tax "reform" did away with personal exemptions for dependents so that is unlikely to be the case.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Tax "reform" did away with personal exemptions for dependents so that is unlikely to be the case.
Ah, yes that is new for 2018, however child tax credits are still there and have been increased significantly which will probably be relevant to the OP

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyph.../#3b4b8723133d
Old Jul 10th 2018, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure that an NRA would get either EIC or refundable child tax credits.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cook_County
Not sure that an NRA would get either EIC or refundable child tax credits.
He said he was hoping to be there over 12 months (post 8) so I thought that would make him a permanent resident. Ignore my post if his status stays as an NRA, I agree with you.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 11:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad

He said he was hoping to be there over 12 months (post 8) so I thought that would make him a permanent resident. Ignore my post if his status stays as an NRA, I agree with you.
The OP is not becoming a permanent resident, i.e. obtaining a green card. They will be resident only for tax purposes in the US once they have passed the 6 month mark and will have to a US tax return for all worldwide income earned during the US tax year which is January 1 through December 31.
Old Jul 11th 2018, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rete
The OP is not becoming a permanent resident, i.e. obtaining a green card. They will be resident only for tax purposes in the US once they have passed the 6 month mark and will have to a US tax return for all worldwide income earned during the US tax year which is January 1 through December 31.
Yes, I misspoke, what I should have said was “Resident Alien” as opposed to NRA and I don’t know if child tax credits apply to Resident Aliens. We had small children for the 7 years we were Resident Aliens on visas in the USA. It was a long time ago but I don’t recall our children being treated any differently tax wise compared to Permanent Residents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.