Reload this Page >

Uk Bank Accounts and Credit Cards

Uk Bank Accounts and Credit Cards

Old Feb 2nd 2012, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

bobbedford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk Bank Accounts and Credit Cards

Hi there.

Moving in about a month and want to keep my credit card and existing bank account.

Do I need to tell them that I am moving?

I realise my address will change, but was planning on using the Royal Mail re-direct service thingy.

My one concern is calling up the credit card company, them finding out I am moving then losing my credit card. I have plenty of stuff I could liquidate for cash, but I don't really want to. Plan is to spend on credit card, then claim back from company (I have an agreed allowance for bits and pieces).

Any thoughts here?

Ta,
Bob
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Bank Accounts and Credit Cards

Originally Posted by bobbedford
Hi there.

Moving in about a month and want to keep my credit card and existing bank account.

Do I need to tell them that I am moving?

I realise my address will change, but was planning on using the Royal Mail re-direct service thingy.

My one concern is calling up the credit card company, them finding out I am moving then losing my credit card. I have plenty of stuff I could liquidate for cash, but I don't really want to. Plan is to spend on credit card, then claim back from company (I have an agreed allowance for bits and pieces).

Any thoughts here?

Ta,
Bob
It'll depend on the bank / cc company. We had no problem with both First Direct (bank and cc) and Halifax (cc) allowing us to keep our accounts. In fact when we moved we still had balances on some of our ccs outstanding which we made minimum payments on until the proceeds of our house sale came through.

The only issue we had was that FD don't like you to use your overdraft facility once regular deposits (i.e. salary by BACS) cease. They won't block a transaction that takes you into overdraft but they will contact you to ask you to restore a credit balance.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 1:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

As rpjs said it depends who you have accounts with. We are with the Halifax/M&S/Nat West and for the last 16 years they have sent mail (including new cards) to our US address. Some members have reported having problems and have used a relative's address in the UK. I seem to remember Barclay's was one of the problematic banks.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Tell them that you're abroad and to expect foreign transactions otherwise its possible that the fraud team will suspend your account until you contact them. Its not 100% but worth a try.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 1:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
Tell them that you're abroad and to expect foreign transactions otherwise its possible that the fraud team will suspend your account until you contact them. Its not 100% but worth a try.
Good point. The credit card company in particular may suspend your account if there are several overseas transactions...so make sure you inform them that purchases will be made from the US.

Make sure you keep at least 1 credit card account and your bank account...because once you're no longer a UK resident you will not be able to open a new one.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Good point. The credit card company in particular may suspend your account if there are several overseas transactions...so make sure you inform them that purchases will be made from the US.

Make sure you keep at least 1 credit card account and your bank account...because once you're no longer a UK resident you will not be able to open a new one.
Finally, after 62 posts I've finally contributed something positive to this site.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 2:42 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Can report that HSBC was fine too. Even kept our (generous) overdraft limits on current accounts for 3-4 years before they removed them through lack of account use. GBP10K credit card limit remained though, even though I only use the thing for an average of 2-3 weeks per year while I'm visiting.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 2:58 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Tesco and Santander fine too with moving overseas. Well obviously in the case of Santander I mean they will continue to cock up your account in the same way in which the did when you still lived in the UK
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Weeze
Tesco and Santander fine too with moving overseas. Well obviously in the case of Santander I mean they will continue to cock up your account in the same way in which the did when you still lived in the UK
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 4:20 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I still use my LloydsTSB account. They seem to have no issue with it either and still send me cards, mail etc.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 6:24 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Nat West, First Direct and Nationwide have no problems with it. Did have to close a credit card though but can't remember which one.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

First direct bank accounts and Halifax credit cards were fine.

Halifax just closed down our credit cards after 8 years of pretty minimal use - didn't worry us as we are using other cards instead. Just use FD in the UK when visiting or our overseas credit cards.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

paul_lynda is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Weeze
Good to know we're not the only ones who have struggled with the farce that is Santander!